Cars The Need For Speed

Don't think it won't be abused in winter...:)

Vj4xNGy.jpg

KeiWFAI.jpg

2GEj0EY.jpg

H09EbGA.jpg

Last edited:
I got caught on the highway in a full-blown ice storm on summer tires in the Porsche once. Had to drive about 5 hours in it. Not something I'd care to repeat, although I did live to tell about it. :O_o:

(Absolutely not kidding. I survived by following in the tracks of big trucks. If I deviated from that clear(ish) asphalt by even an inch I would feel the back end start to go. White knuckles for 5 hours straight...)

Last edited:
I can imagine that! The E30 always tends to feel a bit more unstable than it really is especially at speed like above 70mph, at a 100mph it's like on rails even in rain/snow. In town however it was hilarious, I struggled to even get out of the gas station at one point.

Got cought in snow in E36 i had on a summer tyres as well.

Well going suddenly full sideways several times on a straight road with a lot of trees on both sides is not something I`d like to repeat ;]

I haven't seen snow since I was 6 (51 years ago) living in the UK and even then I only really remember the slush side of things. Now in Oz it may get to -3 or -4 in the early mornings if your really lucky with a little frost on the windshield and it can be in the mid 20's by afternoon and that is winter.:)

All that aside, the Porsche was actually quite capable in the snow with proper tires. Not the torquiest thing ever, with a pretty long throttle. I didn't fear winter, even with RWD and no ABS.

My Subaru with 400whp is scarier, even with AWD. :p

'85 with z51 suspension and a modified engine based off a 78 corvette block. Ideally I'd pick these over a zr-1 since I don't like driver assists (ABS, TCS etc.) and overall just less things to worry about eventually failing. Also I could buy like 3-4 '85s for the price of 1 zr-1.
d64450fa4c5d1fe511935759a0cd61f4.jpg

Being an engine builder myself...

uHHDee9.jpg

...and this being about a C4 Corvette I don't think it'd be thread hijacking if I ask you for more details on that built now would it? :)

That thing is in my E30...just posted it to visualize my point about engine building :). I've really only seen it the other way around, someone putting a smallblock chevy V8 into older bimmers (E12, E34, E30, etc.). That said I always thought the V8s out of BMWs own range fit the character of the cars much better but that's a different story.

As for the C4 I always loved the L98/LT4 but when thinking about actually building a custom engine I'm wondering about the choice of the low-compression, low output '78 (I guess LG4) engine block as a basis, hence my asking.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back