Cars The Need For Speed

Hmm it looks pretty good, these are the parts that I think need a bit of attention.
EcBeGP6.jpg

top of A pillar - squarer
door glass - instead of the curvature following the bottom edge it seems more horizontal to me
rear vents - scooped deeper, curvature kinda joins the upper and lower edges of the windows in a point at the inside edge of the vent, rather than each trailing back to a side of it.

On all of these I drew them probably too exaggerated to show the difference.

[edit] While looking for pictures of Diablos I found out about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cizeta-Moroder_V16T which has 2 3L Lamborghini V8s mounted transversely with the transmission between them. Hell of a unique drivetrain...

Last edited:
Hmm it looks pretty good, these are the parts that I think need a bit of attention.
EcBeGP6.jpg

top of A pillar - squarer
door glass - instead of the curvature following the bottom edge it seems more horizontal to me
rear vents - scooped deeper, curvature kinda joins the upper and lower edges of the windows in a point at the inside edge of the vent, rather than each trailing back to a side of it.

On all of these I drew them probably too exaggerated to show the difference.

[edit] While looking for pictures of Diablos I found out about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cizeta-Moroder_V16T which has 2 3L Lamborghini V8s mounted transversely with the transmission between them. Hell of a unique drivetrain...

I knew that Cizeta from Gran Turismo, though the only cool thing about it is that it has Giorgio Moroder name on it :) if the car was supposed to become the Diablo, then Chrysler saved Lamborghini from a disaster.

Just took a look at those areas and refined the shape a little bit more. I have a lot of good pics as reference but not enough as I'd like from the rear vents. Also fixed the A-pillar and roof shape a bit, still need to refine those edges though.

screenshot025 Copy.jpg

Comparison between the previous mesh (above) and new one (below):

earlywip04.jpg

Added new camera to check out the shape and do some other minor adjustments (don't mind the front as this is an early Diablo):

earlywip03.jpg

Wow, just wow.
Amazing. Such a beautiful car, recreated so awesomely! Thank you.

Also, how quickly do you work. Are you human? :cautious:;)

LOL I'll take that as a compliment then :)

Let me interject a bit of history/trivia for you.
When it came to designing the Countach replacement Lamborghini called Marcello Gandini the man responsible for the Miura, Countach, Uracco, Silhuette, Jalpa, Bravo etc.
What he came up with was the design now known as the p132 prototype.

lamborghini-diablo-prototype-1.jpg

p1323.jpg

p1326.jpg

Chrysler, who owned Lamborgghini at the time, were unhappy with the design and thought it looked too old (maybe reasonable so), so they commissioned their internal design team to soften the edges. Thus the Diablo you know and love was born.
Marcello on the other hand was unhappy with them meddling with his design and sold it to Cizeta, and reworked it to become the Moroder.

Later he got the chance to rework the Diablo as a proposal for evolution/successor. And another P-design (p147) was born, but again went unused. It is now named the "Acosta Concept"
lamborghini-museum-photos-114.jpg

800px-Musée_Lamborghini_0106.JPG

On a side note the Italdesign Cala from NFS2 was a design proposal for the car that would become the Gallardo.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Mr. Gandini, whose body of work (pun in there somewhere) speaks for itself... Chrysler really did save the day on this one. The concept was a dated spectacle. The final design is a (thus far) timeless classic.

It's not the only nice thing to come out of that corporate collaboration in those years - the Viper's V10 was heavily reworked by the Lamborghini team, mostly on account of their experience working with aluminum blocks.

I have to agree here, my opinion is that the Diablo is a better, more refined design than the p132. Although Gandini designed some of the best looking cars of all time (Miura, Alfa Romeo Montreal, Maserati Khamsin to name a few), maybe towards the 90s he was loosing his touch and most of his output looked outdated even before it came out.

Although I like the Acosta for it's weirdness and his Iso Grifo, I have to admit that they can't be considered objectively beautiful.

Thanks for sharing some bits of history on the Diablo, nice to get to know it's roots. The Acosta Concept looks like a Diablo on steroids! and by looking at the previous concepts, yeah, definitely Chrysler made the right move on this one.

Got the rear mostly done and some badging work as well:

screenshot024 (1).jpg
screenshot025 (1).jpg

Love that ass, but hate that huge rear wing, really kills the mood :O_o:

Much like the Countach, that wing was mostly for show anyway. (The adjustable wing on the SE30 + Jota cars actually made some downforce.)

If I had to choose, I'd go wingless.

screenshot024 (2).jpg

If it could be hidden using wings animation as an option, well that'll be cool. I'll have to do some research on it.

There won't be an S1, since this car will be part of a pack. Otherwise the 512 will be left alone.
What we'll do is release the SE30 Jota version as a separate download, since the physics are already done and it only requires some minimal aesthetic changes.

Wrapping up for today, around 90% of the exterior details are done. Missing the fuel cap and Gaudini badge on the right side but I always leave those asymmetrical details after the UV's are done (so I can use the same UV from the left side and mirror it).

screenshot024 Copy.jpg

screenshot025 - Copy (2).jpg

screenshot026.jpg

A little comparison side by side with a model I did almost 7 years ago, using the Tamiya scale model decal sheet as a blueprint... not that bad, considering :)

screenshot027.jpg

screenshot028.jpg

Very similar, but at the same time completely different. New model has much better front end, and seems to be slightly bigger, probably better proportions.

Just noticed that rear end seems to be so much lower on new model, adding more curve for car silhouette. Very realistic model !

Very similar, but at the same time completely different. New model has much better front end, and seems to be slightly bigger, probably better proportions.

Just noticed that rear end seems to be so much lower on new model, adding more curve for car silhouette. Very realistic model !

That's why I use more and more only pictures as "blueprints", as there are no real blueprints out there, mostly drawings and not accurate at all. On some rare exceptions I've found real blueprints, signed by the factory, but unless that's the case... better work with real pics.
This is what I've used on that old model:
LAMB_DiabloVT.jpg

Now I'm using side/front/rear pics and camera matching, works a lot better for me than some drawing found on the web.

Back to the model at hand, exterior is done, ready to move on to the interior geometry.
screenshot025 - Copy (3).jpg

168k triangles including wheels, so there's still room for improvements and some undercarriage details.

Pop up headlights makes cars look worried or sad :notworthy: (and the AE86 look ridiculous LOL)
screenshot026 Copy.jpg

screenshot029.jpg

screenshot028 Copy.jpg

screenshot027 Copy.jpg

That's why I use more and more only pictures as "blueprints", as there are no real blueprints out there, mostly drawings and not accurate at all.

Now I'm using side/front/rear pics and camera matching, works a lot better for me than some drawing found on the web.

Yes exactly, that was one of the first lessons I learned with Jaguar. Using real pictures is so much better, but it is not easy to find proper picture taken from good distance, not too close.

I can't understand why those drawings are called "blueprints" in the first place.... They are inaccurate, there are 0 technical value, very little or no dimensions at all and so on... I guess "blueprints" just sounds awesome, and thats really it.

Well, the bulk of them come from 1:24 scale car kits, as far as I can tell, and those aren't accurate (that's why they say where to apply decals or to paint turn signal amber), so the blueprints aren't accurate.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 185 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 243 13.5%