Cars The Need For Speed

Judging by how gorgeous the Diablo is... My monitor is getting really impatient to display the lovely shiny Testarossa ;) lol

Total respects for the awesome NSX mate, take your time.... everyone knows it's worth the wait ;)
Indeed no need to rush things, the NSX may open another door and it's called Stunts...

Stunts-dos-cover.jpg

Just look at the list of cars of this 1990 game, for those who don't remember:
Still waiting for a track with jumps and crazy loops like this game has, that and the ridiculous off-road physics AC has, they'll sure make for a fun ride :roflmao:

Going back to the Diablo a bit, it'll be the first car I'll release with custom normals. The difference is subtle, but it's there, most noticeable on reflections and specular highlights:

Standard normals:
Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_16-4-2017-6-18-9.jpg

Custom normals:
Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_16-4-2017-6-18-43.jpg

Sorry for the poor choice of lighting but it's good enough to see the difference around the edges. This helps also to get rid of the jagged edges, not entirely, but they improved about 80%.

Attachments

• Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_16-4-2017-6-23-52.jpg
    Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_16-4-2017-6-23-52.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 388
  • Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_16-4-2017-6-23-16.jpg
    Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_16-4-2017-6-23-16.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 352
Indeed no need to rush things, the NSX may open another door and it's called Stunts...

Going back to the Diablo a bit, it'll be the first car I'll release with custom normals. The difference is subtle, but it's there, most noticeable on reflections and specular highlights:

Standard normals:
View attachment 191266

Custom normals:
View attachment 191265
Sorry for the poor choice of lighting but it's good enough to see the difference around the edges. This helps also to get rid of the jagged edges, not entirely, but they improved about 80%.

Stunts, I remember this game... fun times :)
1080845-oldbiff.jpg

As for the custom normals on the Diablo, care to elaborate a bit how exactly you did them? You know, as one modeler to another (and others) ... :p

Stunts, I remember this game... fun times :)
1080845-oldbiff.jpg

As for the custom normals on the Diablo, care to elaborate a bit how exactly you did them? You know, as one modeler to another (and others) ... :p

Sure, here's a simple explanation of how it works:
SolidRichIndianrockpython.gif

The only problem with using that method is that you cannot go back to modify the geometry (add edges, extrude, etc.) so it must be done on the final stage.

IMO NFSU was best ! I really loved it, it is weird to me how much more people prefer NFSU2 over NFSU. NFSU career mode had value, there were few extremely hard races towards the end, it was such an achievement, and tracks were really awesome, I don't know who designed tracks for NFSU, but it was excelent job.

Porsche Unleashed will always be my favorite, but Underground and Hot Pursuit 2 were the other ones I had back then and I liked all of them. The best EA racing title, though, has to be Motor City Online. I don't even like muscle cars, really, but I dearly miss that game. We've still never quite seen one like it since.

Last edited:
IMO NFSU was best ! I really loved it, it is weird to me how much more people prefer NFSU2 over NFSU. NFSU career mode had value, there were few extremely hard races towards the end, it was such an achievement, and tracks were really awesome, I don't know who designed tracks for NFSU, but it was excelent job.
imo it was the open world in U2 that made the game the legend it became, the (sorta) day-night interval and the extensive (unrealistic/ridiculous) tuning options, the car selection. And small things like opponent cars following your tuning level, if you chose to keep the exterior stock, so did everyone else (or at least the random encounters did, not sure)

It had a bunch of weird decisions, like those SUV races or magazine covers, but it felt much bigger and open then U1. I still got it installed, with my old savegames, but the game does not like my wheels. Something triggers a constant "left" input, probably my shifter contraption. I'd love to run around the city with AC physics :rolleyes:

It is funny to me how in the High Stakes video they ripped on import ricers in the beginning and yet that is pretty much what the series would become in later years.
Yeah, but that was probably because of a very fast and furious franchise... ;)

Getting back to the topic a bit, I guess there are no news about whether we can accurately recreate the tracks? Since I'm a programmer actually, I looked at the code of OpenNFS1, and the file format description is there. With a bit of work, I think that it should be possible to at least extract the mesh data of the track files and import them to Max, and from there somebody could create the track using the mesh data as base...

Wow...There certainly is a difference with the custom normals. :geek: You can see more defined, but not overly sharp lines on the car body and rear. The reflections look more natural, no doubt. My God...That car is beautiful. Is it single? Is it looking to date anyone right now? I'm a nice guy... :D

The NSX does not work in the current version of AC. I'm working on an update, please be patient. :)
Oops. I forgot to quote your post. I know I made a post on RD quite a while back explaining how to get the NSX working again without having to go copy and edit files. In fact, I just double checked and had a nice 3 lap session around Highlands with your NSX-R base model (in Red of course). I remember posting the instructions on what to do, but some people said it didn't work for them. Of course, I'm driving it on the older tire model and such....but, I just wanted you to know that in some of the far corners of the earth, your Honda NSX's roll on! :cool:

Oh god, I just noticed you released the Jota, which I wasn`t even aware that you were working on. Looks stunning, I have to try it today once I`m home!

Just being curious (not impatient ;] ), how`s the work going on the NFS pack? Your work is a masterpiece, so really looking forward that diablo/512 pack, but I`m so glad we got that Jota Diablo in meantime to enjoy, thank you!

Oh god, I just noticed you released the Jota, which I wasn`t even aware that you were working on. Looks stunning, I have to try it today once I`m home!

Just being curious (not impatient ;] ), how`s the work going on the NFS pack? Your work is a masterpiece, so really looking forward that diablo/512 pack, but I`m so glad we got that Jota Diablo in meantime to enjoy, thank you!

Thanks, and the VT is looking good so far, we learned a couple of things with the Jota release that's being applied to this version but it's basically done. Waiting to find some spare time to start on the 512.
Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_9-5-2017-5-35-56.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back