The Nürburgring Südschleife

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We all know the Nürburgring Nordschleife (North Loop), the legendary 20 plus kilometers long track in the woods of the German Eiffel. What not many people know if that the original Nürburgring track also included another challenging layout called the South Loop, or in German the Südschleife. The two layouts combined made for a stunning 28 kilometer long original version of the Green Hell.

I recently ran into the YouTube video below of two Britons driving a lap around the abandoned Südschleife that is still in tact for almost 70% of the original layout. When the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit was built in the 1980s the Südschleife was partly demolished and therefore not longer in use for racers and motorsport fans.

[youtube]

To give you an impression how big the balls were of the real pilots that conquered this track in the late 60s have a look at the video below taken during a Formula Vee race.

[youtube]

For more Automotive, Motorsports and race game videos visit our Media Gallery

Image: ausringers
View the Post on the Blog

Love the legendary Sudschleife and the myths surrounding it. There was a pretty decent version for rf1 somewhere but I dream to be able to drive the whole combined circuit in a sim one day.

parts of the Südschleife are still in use today, once a year, as part of a local rally stage. this info and much more can be found in this amazing book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autodrome-Lost-Race-Circuits-Europe/dp/1904788319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350844510&sr=8-1
the second part of which had been promised for last year but never materialized :(

yeah, I´ve been there and did the lap myself. I was lucky enough to talk to a local old man who used to race there and explained to me how the road went. The bottom part is what is missing and the uphill section goes paralel to the new road. It was fun trying to find the actual layout and nice to be able to recognize the old track :thumbsup:

Also got a very nice book on it, "the other green hell" which explains lots of details and the one the author of the Sudschleife for rfactor used to make the track.
We are only missing the complete track (sud+nords) version

You can race it on R07 with the GTR Evolution pack. The Raceroom add on will give you a modern F1 car Model. You can also use the F3000 witch feels like a retro F1 from the early 90's when you ran monster rear tires.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back