The Grand Tour: New Trailer and Rock Legend Rumor

And that's where reviewing affordable cars comes in. Except they haven't done that in years.

I still remember the episode with Clarkson reviewing the Alfa 166. He was presenting the emotional appeal of the car as well as the value and costs of ownership in a way that was funny and DID include stereotypes, but contained facts as well. It appealed to emotion AND reason. But that was like 15 years ago and they have stopped exploring that concept more than five years ago.

Edit: Rewatching that the conclusion starting at 6:15 had me rofl and still the review did inform in a pretty detailed way about the depreciation of the car and gave a brief overview of performance and cost of ownership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(2002_TV_series) and scroll down to episodes, let's compare the views..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(2002_TV_series) and scroll down to episodes, let's compare the views..

According to this the viewer numbers peaked in early 2007 , just like the quality of the show (imo). Although it has to be said that the bonkers approach of the later years resulted in 2014 almost reaching those top numbers again.

For reference: The Alfa 166 review is probably from 2004 (The facelift came out then.) which did not have as high numbers, but marked a period of growth that eventually resulted in the higher numbers. I guess they keep a very close eye on their audience and tailor their content towards their projected preferences.

@P*Funk Looks like we're out of luck since the team probably has solid reasons (aka money) why they need to reach a very wide audience with all those Amazon dollars.

@Queequeg You alone seem to have gotten the point.
There is absolutely no valid point to your argument. Some of us love the Top Gear/Grand Tour type of humour. Anything less is just.......boring. I hope they upset a few more countries too.:p;)

Last edited:
According to this the viewer numbers peaked in early 2007 , just like the quality of the show (imo). Although it has to be said that the bonkers approach of the later years resulted in 2014 almost reaching those top numbers again.

For reference: The Alfa 166 review is probably from 2004 (The facelift came out then.) which did not have as high numbers, but marked a period of growth that eventually resulted in the higher numbers. I guess they keep a very close eye on their audience and tailor their content towards their projected preferences.

@P*Funk Looks like we're out of luck since the team probably has solid reasons (aka money) why they need to reach a very wide audience with all those Amazon dollars.
Even though its fun with some shiny mindless action sprinkled here and there the population is getting more stupid. People today have a "university" and the best library of knowledge ever known to man in their homes at their fingertips, and yet watching cat videos and people playing video games shouting like little school girls is what is high on peoples list of things to do with this excellent tool. :D

Yeah im joking a little bit, but we all also know there is some truth in there. Also, im looking forward to this on a more laid back level (like most im sure) for the coolness. Like having MTV on in the background (back when it was good - looong time ago). But yes, i would have liked a little more tech added in the midst of it all. Hey, like everyone else i also have the wiki though so i'll stop now. :cool:

So you're saying that Top Gear was boring until the last few years before Clarkson got canned?

Yes, very much so. It was so boring we used to put it on to send us to sleep. It was more boring than a bored Albanian Factory worker. Hows that?:cool:

Last edited:
You know I'm kind of concerned about this forum and the negativity. The staff takes the time to post this info and lets the readers know this show is coming on. And the normal response would be, "Ok cool, I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up". But no, we have people that feel the twisted urge to post 3 or 4 paragraphs on why they're not going to watch the show. Why should anyone care for your analysis and the reasoning on why you're not going to watch the show? What purpose does it serve? Is it going to stop the show? Is it going to stop people from watching the show? No, it will do nothing!

If people have that much time to waste on negativity, it makes me wonder what their real life is really like?

I come to this forum to get info and read about something I like. Then I make the mistake and read the replies. What the f:O_o:? If you're not going to watch the show then that's fine, but a dissertation on why you're not going to watch is a complete waste of time. What's the point? By justifying your own negative opinion do you think it will influence others not to watch? That makes no sense.:cautious:

Sorry for turning this into my own dissertation, but this is a good forum with good people. I just hate to see it ruined by negative comments that amount to nothing and serve no purpose. It doesn't improve or help anything at all. It's just someone with a crappy life that feels the narcissistic need to share their misery. I hate to break it to you, but guess what? No one gives a :poop:. Take the wasted negativity someplace else.

You know I'm kind of concerned about this forum and the negativity. The staff takes the time to post this info and lets the readers know this show is coming on. And the normal response would be, "Ok cool, I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up". But no, we have people that feel the twisted urge to post 3 or 4 paragraphs on why they're not going to watch the show. Why should anyone care for your analysis and the reasoning on why you're not going to watch the show? What purpose does it serve? Is it going to stop the show? Is it going to stop people from watching the show? No, it will do nothing!

If people have that much time to waste on negativity, it makes me wonder what their real life is really like?

I come to this forum to get info and read about something I like. Then I make the mistake and read the replies. What the f:O_o:? If you're not going to watch the show then that's fine, but a dissertation on why you're not going to watch is a complete waste of time. What's the point? By justifying your own negative opinion do you think it will influence others not to watch? That makes no sense.:cautious:

Sorry for turning this into my own dissertation, but this is a good forum with good people. I just hate to see it ruined by negative comments that amount to nothing and serve no purpose. It doesn't improve or help anything at all. It's just someone with a crappy life that feels the narcissistic need to share their misery. I hate to break it to you, but guess what? No one gives a :poop:. Take the wasted negativity someplace else.
forums were made for discussions, not replies such as "thanks for the info", you're not writing a review here. And be thankful that this is nowhere near to being like HLTV forums, you have no idea about real negativity.

I'd rather watch Clarkson sideways in a hypercar than some celebrities I've never heard of cooking or dancing. Those are your choices because no-one else is going to be given the budget for this sort of series. ;)

Thank you for your post.
Finally someone said the right words. @Paul Jeffrey is doing an AWESOME job here, writing all those articles. BTW: In his freetime..... for FREE....

I as the global moderator here at RaceDepartment just ( sometimes ) want to *delete* all those *haters*.
But ......I love my RD to much to do that. And the ppl here. They are not bad at all.
Just a few rotten apples here and there. ;)

Again:
Thank you for your post mate. :thumbsup::inlove::thumbsup:
Cheers
Andrew

I convinced my other half that getting Amazon Prime was a great idea as we would save loads on delivery charges...and we have, about £40 so far in 3 months :). The fact that we get Amazon Prime video is just a bonus, honest :rolleyes:;):p
Can't wait for this :D:D:D

Err what? You don't think people should post their opinions on a forum, in a thread where in the first post, the author specifically asked readers for their opinions?

Are you looking forward to the new motoring show from the three former Top Gear presenters? Do you think the show will prove more popular than the "new" Top Gear? Let us know in the comments section below!

Thankfully I didn't watch any of this rubbish, despite being an Amazon Prime subscriber. I can do without the casual homophobia amongst other things.

The charcters that Clarkson has created for himself, Hammond and May, and the scripting and style of the show, which is targeted at a very specific demographic, is bound to create a reaction from those outside of that demographic. It's something that Clarkson relies on to create a cult-like union amongst his followers.

Thank you for your post.
Finally someone said the right words. @Paul Jeffrey is doing an AWESOME job here, writing all those articles. BTW: In his freetime..... for FREE....

I as the global moderator here at RaceDepartment just ( sometimes ) want to *delete* all those *haters*.
But ......I love my RD to much to do that. And the ppl here. They are not bad at all.
Just a few rotten apples here and there. ;)

Again:
Thank you for your post mate. :thumbsup::inlove::thumbsup:
Cheers
Andrew

Why is someone with an opinion that differs from your own a 'bad applie'?

You mean my post from OCTOBER ? I didn't say bad, i said rotten. And it wasn't about opinions . It was about behavior. Good manors etc. And I wrote it because I ment it.
Happy new year ? Yep.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back