The Future - is almost here

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Here's a sneak peek me talking a little about the code I've been working on and a lot about climate change and implicatory denial.

More videos on the fun stuff to follow this week! UPDATE - see below.

I'll stop going on about climate change as soon as serious action to reduce emissions starts. If Bram proves me wrong about anything I have said I will not only apologise but I will thank him for increasing my knowledge and reducing my ignorance.

I think it's shameful that you can't allow the developer of BTB to express deep concern for the way we are treating this planet in his own forum. If I were to go on about pitgirls I suspect we'd be having a different conversation. I have no hesitation to use BTB as a platform for creating greater awareness of the need for action if the result means a cleaner planet and more prosperous future.

The energy (or aggression as you name it) I have for making others contemplating climate change is, ironically, partly a result of BTB being pirated some years ago. Having given so much of myself to BTB, it made me rethink what was really important in life. It took me a while but I started to shed things that were unimportant; to instead be positive and think about the distant future rather than my own selfish needs. I channel that energy into making myself a better person as well as creating an awareness to others of how we can improve our experience on this planet. I obviously have still more to learn on what is the best approach. ;)

I take this new energy into everything I do and make the most of whatever time I have on this planet. That energy is what drove me to create Race Track Builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbXY5w2hJF8

The great thing about not being dependent upon BTB for a living (sales are next to nothing) is that I do not fear retribution - I half expected these forums to be closed already after witnessing Bram's response. That fearlessness is something that extends beyond these forums. I don't fear criticism. I don't fear death.

So I will continue to challenge people to challenge themselves be it in these forums, or be it somewhere else. If you dislike my request for a better planet then perhaps you should take some time to examine your own motivations.

Whilst I enjoy making track building tools, making the world a better place is more satisfying.

---------------------------

@Bram, if you were correct you would support your claim with evidence. That you can't, even after multiple requests, and instead resort to debating tactics such as "bait and switch" suggests that you are in climate denial. For anyone else that debates climate denialists, the best way to "win" (although they are unlikely to change their mind - and there's even a study on that) is to persist with the first statement they make. I've studied climate science since 2008 and have heard pretty much all of their popular false claims - hence I knew from the start that Bram was incorrect on water vapour. I therefore persist with this and simply DO NOT ENGAGE ay further until the first point is settled, otherwise they will endlessly start new arguments rather than accepting they were wrong about anything.

Last edited:
I don't mind reading a firm interesting discussion, but @Brendon Pywell do you really have to be so aggressive?

If I were @Bram, you had been put on my ignore list a few posts back.
The fact that he remains polite in his replies warrants for a more friendly approach from your side in my opinion.
You come across as a bully.

And the argument you throw at him for not coming with evidence is just an argument of not coming with 'your evidence', just as much as he doesn't agree with your points of view. Only he doesn't get rude and belittling about it.

I am not going to engage any further in this discussion, as I frankly know too little about it, but from a personal interaction point of view I wanted to let my voice be heard here.

And besides, this thread should be put in the off topic forum anyway.

I'll stop going on about climate change as soon as serious action to reduce emissions starts. If Bram proves me wrong about anything I have said I will not only apologise but I will thank him for increasing my knowledge and reducing my ignorance.

I think it's shameful that you can't allow the developer of BTB to express deep concern for the way we are treating this planet in his own forum. If I were to go on about pitgirls I suspect we'd be having a different conversation. I have no hesitation to use BTB as a platform for creating greater awareness of the need for action if the result means a cleaner planet and more prosperous future.

The energy (or aggression as you name it) I have for making others contemplating climate change is, ironically, partly a result of BTB being pirated some years ago. Having given so much of myself to BTB, it made me rethink what was really important in life. It took me a while but I started to shed things that were unimportant; to instead be positive and think about the distant future rather than my own selfish needs. I channel that energy into making myself a better person as well as creating an awareness to others of how we can improve our experience on this planet. I obviously have still more to learn on what is the best approach. ;)

I take this new energy into everything I do and make the most of whatever time I have on this planet. That energy is what drove me to create Race Track Builder.

The great thing about not being dependent upon BTB for a living (sales are next to nothing) is that I do not fear retribution - I half expected these forums to be closed already after witnessing Bram's response. That fearlessness is something that extends beyond these forums. I don't fear criticism. I don't fear death.

So I will continue to challenge people to challenge themselves be it in these forums, or be it somewhere else. If you dislike my request for a better planet then perhaps you should take some time to examine your own motivations.

Whilst I enjoy making track building tools, making the world a better place is more satisfying.

We could argue about the off-topic-ness of 'Pit girls' on a racing community forum. :)

Brendon Pywell said:
I channel that energy into making myself a better person as well as creating an awareness to others of how we can improve our experience on this planet. I obviously have still more to learn on what is the best approach. ;)

This is a completely different 'tone' and shows reflection and a good sense of self-mockery or light heartedness. :)
These traits are great and I have no trouble reading stiff discussions on whatever forum about whatever (off) topic, as long as people show respect for eachother.
It's hard to gauge from text, I understand that, but your progess in the way of engaging in discussion in the previous posts was getting increasingly hostile. At least to me as a third party reader. But well done on this response here. At least I can scratch you off my troll list now. ;-)

Brendon Pywell said:
I take this new energy into everything I do and make the most of whatever time I have on this planet. That energy is what drove me to create Race Track Builder. (...)

Making the world a better place is not only taken to be in the literal sense; climate. The way people treat eachother is a big factor in making it a better place too. That's why I called you out.

Have a great Sunday.

Ok this is BIG, can't wait to have play with RTB. Now we only need a new rallysim. Thanks Brendon for you hard work.
What about point cloud, will it be implemented?
You can make Assetto Corsa pretty rallye friendly with a few tweaks.
I think we'll see some really good rallye mods for it in 1-2 years.

Really good interesting video. I think obviously steam is an option too. One thing I really liked about btb was that it could directly export to rf1. With ac I think fbx works just fine because the sdk can take the fbx and go from there. But with rf2 I think the only option to get from fbx to actual rf2 track is to use 3dsmax because there are no rf2 plugins for any other 3d software I think. So direct import into rf2 would be kinda important imho.

One thing grabbed my attention. The terrain brush. It is 100% flat at the bottom. This means it will create hills with flat tops. This is problematic for two reasons. Some tracks have slightly cambered but flat terrain next to the track for example. The brush will then flatten that which removes the angle from it. Having different brushes could solve this. One with concave shape to make holes and valleys and convex for making hills. And third one that uses the terrain as it is but just raises or lowers it

I also have this really hazy memory that may or may not have anything to do with btb or rtb. Was there some kind of program or plugin for btb that allowed to scan essentially a youtube video and draw the track surface and surroundings from that video?

No, BTB never had plugin support.

RTB, wow. I'm not sure how wise it would be to make lots of suggestions just yet because we don't know what's already in development, so I will limit myself to one suggestion:
The current program looks great for a flowing track, but it would also be good to have something to help us make tracks with straight straights and constant-radius corners (or very close approximations).

Wohoooo! This RTB demo is nothing short of amazing - really! it's like all my prayers have been answered!!!
The only question is when?
I'm thinking of putting on hold my current BTB track and do objects and textures while I wait for this.

First of all: great to see this powerful tool in action. This will save most of the painful job and I'll support it as I supported BTB.

But please let me make a stupid comment, I just can't help me from making it: people who care about human contributions to climate change should not support motorsports, that would be self-contradictory. At least until internal-combustion powered engines dominate the scene.

First of all: great to see this powerful tool in action. This will save most of the painful job and I'll support it as I supported BTB.

But please let me make a stupid comment, I just can't help me from making it: people who care about human contributions to climate change should not support motorsports, that would be self-contradictory. At least until internal-combustion powered engines dominate the scene.
I think the keyword here is digital motorsport:)

I think the keyword here is digital motorsport:)
Great point, but normally the two things go together, we are not on a forum about Star Wars where only the fictional side is present. People lingering on these threads generally attend real motorsport events or even compete in real cars.
End of the stupid comment.

If the UK gets hotter, then i'm all for Climate Change, if it will get worse then i'm against it. Thats my science behind it. I'll be long dead before it really matters so if I can get a few years of nice weather before everyone melts then i'm happy with that. Plus I live in the Fens in Cambridgeshire, so at some point, I'll have a beach front village, if only for a matter of hours before I turn into sponge bob square pants.

If the UK gets hotter, then i'm all for Climate Change, if it will get worse then i'm against it.

Local consequences from global warming are mixed. Some parts of the planet may get paradoxically colder.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-oceans-with-potentially-dire-consequences/

Thats my science behind it. I'll be long dead before it really matters so if I can get a few years of nice weather before everyone melts then i'm happy with that.

Selfishness is not science, not even close. But I do appreciate you being honest about it. :)

Plus I live in the Fens in Cambridgeshire, so at some point, I'll have a beach front village, if only for a matter of hours before I turn into sponge bob square pants.

Beach? England? LOL! :)

Discussion is good, and comments are always welcomed. As someone that loves motorsports AND the environment I feel well placed to talk about both.

I hope there is always a place for motorsport although I think biofuels should play a larger part in its future. And what about Formula E (although I've yet to watch a race :) )?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 201 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 254 13.3%