The FPS is high but the display is veryyyyy not fluent.

Hey guys, these are just a few things I tried with some success when I've had Micro-stutters with my Nvidia cards. I too had them in various titles even though my FPS were quite high. Of course, you may already have tried these and I apologize if these seem redundant for you.

• Limit FPS using the in-game limiting feature where possible.
  • Try a different Pre-render Frames Setting (not sure what it's called with AMD) This can be found in your Video Card driver settings
  • Try turning off one video feature at a time and testing. It can often be just one setting that is the cause.

I've just updated my amd drivers to 14.4 and noticed a huge rise in FPS. :)

I can now run rf2 at 100 FPS with nearly everything maxed out.

My specs:
Code:
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/19/12 18:20:20 Ver: 04.06.05
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
       Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
          Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6818)
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6818&SUBSYS_E241174B&REV_00
     Display Memory: 4095 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 2030 MB

LOL, I was about to post my findings after I spent all of last night and several days prior trying to get it to run smooth. I have a Nvidia GTX680M, using 331.40 and using the trial and error method, I have come to the conclusion that it is a little bit engine problem, but mostly video sync IMHO. I have tried limiting,turning off, splitting settings(video driver) and I do get a little more FPS, but it still stutters. Best thing that has worked for me is, turning off anti-aliasing, FXAA and anisotropic filter in game and set the NVidia control panel with 16xAF, 4x anti-aliasing(could go lower)and FXAA on. But the main thing that worked was setting the VSync on in the control panel and selecting GPU VSync in game. I think the VSync was the problem for me and for the most part, it's easier on the eyes. I wanted to add, I am also using SweetFX on high.

Check this post

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-starting-grid?p=252568&viewfull=1#post252568

The interessting bit is the one with the .plr file entry :

Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00100" // Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.
I tried it and it seemed less smooth. I upped the max frame rate to 100.

yeah i suspected my ssd was the problem but after 3 reformats, one back to standard hdd, ive discovered the ssd isnt the issue, I guess its just an incompatibility that exists with my hardware and rfactor2 as EVERY other game is A OK. I can run with everything on low or everything on max and still the random stutters occur. ive tried various drivers/PLR tweaks/dll files, you name it ive tried it, and just when i think ive solved the issue i get a launch of the game that has the stutters. I can then shut down the game and reload and the stutters could have gone or could be still there, its that random...VERY annoying

edit: case in point, i rebuilt my machine last night and placed into another case, clean install of win 8.1 x64 nothing installed but rfactor 2, my gfx and t500 drivers, 3 launches have been smooth and 2 have had the stutters, nothing changes from the smooth launches to the stuttery ones, ive kinda given up trying to work it out now as i honestly dont see that its something i can fix,

i suspected my ssd was the problem but after 3 reformats, one back to standard hdd, ive discovered the ssd isnt the issue, I guess its just an incompatibility that exists with my hardware and rfactor2 as EVERY other game is A OK. I can run with everything on low or everything on max and still the random stutters occur. ive tried various drivers/PLR tweaks/dll files, you name it ive tried it, and just when i think ive solved the issue i get a launch of the game that has the stutters. I can then shut down the game and reload and the stutters could have gone or could be still there, its that random...VERY annoying

edit: case in point, i rebuilt my machine last night and placed into another case, clean install of win 8.1 x64 nothing installed but rfactor 2, my gfx and t500 drivers, 3 launches have been smooth and 2 have had the stutters, nothing changes from the smooth launches to the stuttery ones, ive kinda given up trying to work it out now as i honestly dont see that its something i can fix,[/QUOTE]
Ok I got the same situation like yours. I got ALL LOW graphic settings and still MASSIVE stutters. Does HD 7850 get such a bad performance?

well when you say the pink bar (=cpu usage) peaks whenever there is a stutter, then it is the cpu :p
How much cpu usage do you have when idle/in windows? Can you keep task manager open while driving and tell us how much cpu usage it shows?

well when you say the pink bar (=cpu usage) peaks whenever there is a stutter, then it is the cpu :p
How much cpu usage do you have when idle/in windows? Can you keep task manager open while driving and tell us how much cpu usage it shows?
ok i got a full reinstallation and this time , despite my PC couldnt recognize my Saitek R660, with all low graphics, CPU usage is fine now, but the green bar is full all the time... OK I will wait the next update... got to get my wheel back...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 126 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 98 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 134 13.9%