AC Modding Questions Thread

yeah i see, so no 1x1 empty indeed :)
Just change the alpha to black only for the area of said sticker, and keep the rest as is, don't forget to save dds with alpha, like DXT5

:whistling:
select the wanted area
go to your channels and select Alpha
paint black the alpha (with selection of the wanted item)
see below
dds_alpha.jpg

DXT1 doesn't keep alpha, it saves space, but compresses and loses a bit of quality
DXT3 is for simple alpha (i think)
DXT5 is for alpha with gradients, and blend effect in game (i think)
then you have 8.8.8 uncompressed format and more, takes space, but quality is perfect, and loading faster for the GPU (said clever people here)

hope this helps!

thank you, but I tried to make the alpha channel, when I create it it's all black, so I then leave the decal black on the channel, make the rest of the channel white and save. The dds shows the transparency in windows preview, but the game is not.

No way indeed. If the alpha does nothing, it means the associated material they put for this object doesn't accept any, and you can't change it, it's within the kn5.
Solution Stereo offered is to paint your scheme on that decal as well...

So is there really no way around this? The decals get in the way of the paintscheme!
As already said from Stereo and Ben O'Bro there is nothing you can do with texture alpha channel if the shader don't use it.
Just for the record and for my curiosity, of which car and which decal are we speaking actually?

Hi Marco,

I just got a reply from an AC employee saying those decals are modeled into the car :( So no way to get rid of them. The problem is that it's fine if you want to make them the same color as the car, but if you have stripes/decals/logos it get's in the way and there's no real way of knowing where it lines up on the paintkit.

Car in question: Alfa GTA - decals are the Quadrifoglio on the side and rear panels, and the Autodelta on the hood and the side.

Hello there :)

I've seen our favorite Transit using blur for tyres, and it looks brilliant!
But i can't find any tutorial anything about it. Do you need the same structure with dummies like RIM_BLUR_LR also for each tyres ?
how how
merci!

hey that works great! Thanks :)
i didn't even know ksTyre... i was using a perPixel NM :whistling:

you remember this?
7mod_scr_lods.png

that'll be fun to update XD

So before doing that, i might as well do everything i can think of.
Damages!

i tried to make my dirt map (ok that part is working)
All in a multimap_damage_dirt material
damage mask (RGB thing i figured depending the normal of the car)
and map (scratches)
and normal (blue thing:p)
all in DXT5 with alpha map. See preview below:
7mod_damage.png

*edit* i checked in the PDF sdk, naming and size restriction, that's all checked.
added damage mask with alpha channel to specify front
7mod_damage.jpg

it even shows on ksEditor, but ingame nothing :(

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't help a lot about damage, I worked on it only a lot of time ago and by the way on a work I never finished.... :(
The only thing I remember is that you have to use the correct shader (as you surely already done, since you see damage in the editor) and as far as I remember you have to define how damage works inside the damage.ini file inside car data. Unfortunately I don't remember how this file works, and I didn't find anything about it, so if no people more skilled than me will anwer, the only thing I suggest is to try to find a damage.ini of a car where damage is working, look into it and then go in a process of "trials and errors"... :(

Sorry if can't help more.....

Have you done the collider already? I believe it has something to do with it, came across the same problem with my S800 because I was using a placeholder collider, so when I've modeled the right one the damage worked fine. I never use it anyway, damage looks silly in AC, I only do it for the "completion" bonus hehe

Anyway, got a quick question here, what's the deal with the transparent decals looking through the windows?

uuTSxj1.jpg

They look good from the inside, but there's that problem when looking in. Also happens with the gauges light overlay.
All the priorities are at 0, not sure if that has something to do with it...

it's all in blend, are they both set as transparent materials ?
I noticed the same thing happening in the S800 (or was it the veloce)
I would look towards priorities, i remember reading a post about taillight and priorities being important in some cases
You have two priorities settings in Kseditor, one on objects, one on materials.
I think the object one is only in ksEditor, the order it lists objects. And the reorder button, that usually crashes the app!
I never played with the material one. Didn't have to yet... my car doesn't have much glass parts :D

As for the damages, i managed to make it work. I don't know how, i redid the exports etc.
But how disappointing. My aluminium normal map is not tremendous ok... but how the game handles the damages... or rather doesn't, it's sad indeed.

it's all in blend, are they both set as transparent materials ?
I noticed the same thing happening in the S800 (or was it the veloce)
I would look towards priorities, i remember reading a post about taillight and priorities being important in some cases
You have two priorities settings in Kseditor, one on objects, one on materials.
I think the object one is only in ksEditor, the order it lists objects. And the reorder button, that usually crashes the app!
I never played with the material one. Didn't have to yet... my car doesn't have much glass parts :D

As for the damages, i managed to make it work. I don't know how, i redid the exports etc.
But how disappointing. My aluminium normal map is not tremendous ok... but how the game handles the damages... or rather doesn't, it's sad indeed.

Yes the S800 RSC has the same problem, is not very noticeable only when see through the rear window right into the dashboard, so I didn't bother with it... but this car is a freakin BUBBLE! lol so I gotta sort it out.
Materials are in Blend mode and objects are set to transparent and no cast shadows.

And about the damage, yeah, is very disappointing but that's how the engine handles things.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.7%