AC Modding Questions Thread

Anyone any idea how these guys are saving new helmets on the 3d models for the drivers ect ?
I have a rough idea , but before starting anything would be nice to know there really time consuming :)

Hello, can someone ELI5 how to use KSMultishader for a fade between Grass, Dirt and Sand?

I'm stuck at the part where i need to use KSMultilayer to fade Grass into Sand. I'm too dumb to understand how that shader is used. I don't know what to use as Diffuse, and i also don't know to to align the Mask. Its so hard to understand, help would be appreciated.

Here is what im trying to do :
road_trans_srpl.jpg

I don't remember the shader, perhaps one of the ksperpixel, maybe ksperpixel_alpha.... Just take the texture with alpha channel, apply alpha blend mode, and assign object as transparent, also disable shadow casting.

Okay i have another question, sorry for the dobule post but it seems that i can't edit my post.

I use Race Track Builder and now i created my roads and put some guard rails on my terrain. I exported the FBX but when i load it into 3DSmax the textures are missing. How can i get them back?

My folder structure is : /projectname/xxx.fbx
/projectname/texture

KSEditor hast all textures automatically aligned.

I don't remember the shader, perhaps one of the ksperpixel, maybe ksperpixel_alpha.... Just take the texture with alpha channel, apply alpha blend mode, and assign object as transparent, also disable shadow casting.
That is one way of doing it but not the only way.

Okay i have another question, sorry for the dobule post but it seems that i can't edit my post.

I use Race Track Builder and now i created my roads and put some guard rails on my terrain. I exported the FBX but when i load it into 3DSmax the textures are missing. How can i get them back?

My folder structure is : /projectname/xxx.fbx
/projectname/texture

KSEditor hast all textures automatically aligned.
You have to setup your materials in the editor. Just make sure you save persistence so the next time you load the editor so do your previous settings.

You have to setup your materials in the editor. Just make sure you save persistence so the next time you load the editor so do your previous settings.
KS Editor is fine for him, its 3DSMax he has issues with ;)

I guess you'll have to go through all the materials manually to assign the textures - but is it really needed? The masking and things are AC specific anyway afaik

Thank you i reassigned them in the rendering menu where a notice popped up and it gave me the opportunity to set up file paths, i simply chose the Texture folder and 3DSMAX searches for filenames like (grass.dds), so this is very handy, i think older versions of MAX don't have this. So if someone has problems with this, just click the render button and Max will prompt you that files are missing and you can simply add the file path to your Texture folder.

Next problem : How do i assign textures in 3DSMax so KSEditor does have them assigned when i load the FBX? LilSki said it's done in the editor, but what if i want to change the textures already in 3DSMAX? This has to do with stretching because every time i assign a material in the editor for things like rail guards, the texture doesn't tile or repeat but is stretched into oblivion.

Objects need to be correctly UV mapped in 3ds max for the textures to tile correctly. You can't simply set the texture to tile within the Material Editor in 3ds max - this tiling will not be reproduced in ksEditor

Well next problem. I want to use KSMultilayer to have different sets of grass on my terrain. I have some trouble when unwrapping.

- how and where should i scale my texture when unwrapping the UVW? I know that if i make the texture in the UVW Menu bigger it tilles more times, and if i scale it down it tiles less times. Does this mean i have to drag the texture in the UVW Menu out of the boundaries till it tiles enough times till it has a good density? And if yes, is there any other way then eyeballing and a way to find the "optimal" tiling ratio?

- the KSmultilayer shader needs a RGB Mask. I know how it works and how its done, but i can't bake the UVW Template because the Texture is out of boundaries in the UVW Menu.

- You see in my video that i have many triangles divided as terrain parts. Should i group them together and create one huge Texture for the RGB Mask (still don't know how to render the Template if the Texture is out of boundaries), or let them how they are and create a new map for each single part? (So lets say 16 x 2048px mask textures)? Whats with the tiling of the mask, doesn't it tile alltogether with the other textures? I want the mask to be stretched about my map parts so i can paint in big grass, sand, etc. areas.

(The UV Menu didn't show up because my screen recorder can't capture it for some reason).

I would be really happy if someone could add me on steam and help me out a bit with small questions. I'm not asking for teamviewer help but just some text if i encounter smaller problems. Thanks :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheDarkSession

You are scaling the tiles with the shaders settings. And you have to stay with a boundaries of the UV if you want the RGB map to work properly.

Also whats up about terrain being sliced like pizza ? I think you should join those slices into one solid pizza.

Oh my god finally. You opened my eyes, i was on the wrong train all the time because im too much into 3DSmax and i tried to texture in that program instead of the KSeditor. Seems like i need to get that part out of my head. I tried to reverse engineer some tracks to see how the shader and materials are set up. Till i noticed why my masks didn't work. Because i saved them as Png instead of DDS with DXT 3. Thank you.

Guess this is how it should look like ...

Attachments

• gagagagsdag.jpg
    gagagagsdag.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 315
Oh my god finally. You opened my eyes, i was on the wrong train all the time because im too much into 3DSmax and i tried to texture in that program instead of the KSeditor. Seems like i need to get that part out of my head. I tried to reverse engineer some tracks to see how the shader and materials are set up. Till i noticed why my masks didn't work. Because i saved them as Png instead of DDS with DXT 3. Thank you.

Guess this is how it should look like ...
Also, if you press "save current" in the layout menu while the editor is full screen, next time you open it you'll have full resolution.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 455 39.3%