AC Modding Questions Thread

Png and jpg and all the other formats don't work in AC, you have to use dds
PNG and JPEG do work, they are just converted to uncompressed DDS internally. Many of the Kunos cars use PNG for small textures where this makes not much of a difference (they have that kn5 size limit they have to keep under for some reason. Using PNG helps), but if you use 4096x4096 PNGs the resulting filesize in your VRAM will be enormous. The Bentley GT3 mod had that problem, ~15 PNGs of that size, some just single colour, I think I calculated that it would use around 700MB of VRAM alone once on track in AC.

Charged something dumb

Why this happens ?
yD3T21o.jpg

Does it change if you move the sun? In that case there's some issue with the normals.
[edit] Just noticed it's the ksTree shader. Where have you set the pivot?

Last edited:
Does it change if you move the sun? In that case there's some issue with the normals.
[edit] Just noticed it's the ksTree shader. Where have you set the pivot?

No it stays the same when I move the sun. The pivot is at the bottom center of the object. This also happens with these, I used trees from Kunos as placeholders there:
RvS1WlZ.jpg

No it stays the same when I move the sun. The pivot is at the bottom center of the object. This also happens with these, I used trees from Kunos as placeholders there:
RvS1WlZ.jpg
Uhm, I'd say there are some individual triangles that are giving trouble.
Oh btw, if you open the "Layouts" menu and press "Save current" while the editor is fullscreen, next time you start it you'll have better resolution.

PNG and JPEG do work, they are just converted to uncompressed DDS internally. Many of the Kunos cars use PNG for small textures where this makes not much of a difference (they have that kn5 size limit they have to keep under for some reason. Using PNG helps), but if you use 4096x4096 PNGs the resulting filesize in your VRAM will be enormous. The Bentley GT3 mod had that problem, ~15 PNGs of that size, some just single colour, I think I calculated that it would use around 700MB of VRAM alone once on track in AC.

That makes sense. Thank you.
I'm currently looking the the dash display and badge on the Caterham Academy car to change, they are both .png 1024x1024, So I'm guessing that is too big to just drop into the skins folder? I've tried saving it as a .dds but it's no longer recognised and the changes I make dissapear.. Is there a work around for this problem?
I should be able to drop the size of the badge to 128 or 256 square without a problem as long as it still works with the model, but if I do this with the dash it will look rubbish.

That makes sense. Thank you.
I'm currently looking the the dash display and badge on the Caterham Academy car to change, they are both .png 1024x1024, So I'm guessing that is too big to just drop into the skins folder? I've tried saving it as a .dds but it's no longer recognised and the changes I make dissapear.. Is there a work around for this problem?
I should be able to drop the size of the badge to 128 or 256 square without a problem as long as it still works with the model, but if I do this with the dash it will look rubbish.
1024x1024 uncompressed results in 4 MB, thats not too bad. You could also try just renaming your manually converted dds file to png, I think that worked too, for some reason

It just goes by filename (including extension) the actual file could be any format that AC can render. So you just make the filename match but save it as dds.

Is there any reason that just pulling it out of the kn5 and dropping into the skin folder would cause the showroom to crash? regardless of file format and any changes made.
AC will crash if you change a texture that has some sort of light emission applied to it, through lights.ini, digital_instruments.ini and maybe even via material. What part of the car do you want to make new texture for?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I would like to create a track: a sort of "gymkhana" with cones (like the one in GT4). My idea was a very simple layout, basically a flat parking lot with some cones (possibly with physics so that you can hit and move them with the car) manually placed to create the track. The problem is that I don't know anything about creating tracks (not even the programs used) and i was wondering if you guys could help me and/or if there was a simple guide where I could learn the basics...Thank you in advance.

Hi guys, I would like to create a track: a sort of "gymkhana" with cones (like the one in GT4). My idea was a very simple layout, basically a flat parking lot with some cones (possibly with physics so that you can hit and move them with the car) manually placed to create the track. The problem is that I don't know anything about creating tracks (not even the programs used) and i was wondering if you guys could help me and/or if there was a simple guide where I could learn the basics...Thank you in advance.
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/build-your-first-track-basic-guide.11239/

AC will crash if you change a texture that has some sort of light emission applied to it, through lights.ini, digital_instruments.ini and maybe even via material. What part of the car do you want to make new texture for?
Hmm that's at least not true for the lights.ini. You can change textures affected by that file without issue.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back