1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

The DIY Shifter Thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Ensonic, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Ensonic

Ensonic

Ratings:
    +17
    After a good wheel and good pedals there is another device that is very important for getting a good feeling when racing. The shifter. The Logitech or Fanatec ones are to toyish for me, so I decided to look after an alternative. After one hour on Ebay I found the parts that I needed:

1* BMW 5 Series (E39) Steptronic Shifter (in Germany I paid 20€ but after my DIY Guide was postet in a German forum the prices raised for some to 40 Euros :( The demand was there suddenly

1* Gear knob for that BMW

You can remove parts of the Shifter unit so only the Shifter is left with the plug that goes to the microswitches in the Shifter. I cutted the Plug and soldered a PS2 to it for fitting to my Fanatec Wheel. Connecting to a Bodnar USB Controller is another solution. The blue leads are all connected and are Ground. The other two are switched leads. Here are my pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Connection Plan for the Fanatec Wheel

__3___ 4___

1. NC

2. +3.3v

3. X-Axis for gated shifter, Upshift for sequential

4. Y-Axis for gated shifter, downshift for sequential

5. Ground

6. mode select for gated shifter, or common signal on sequential shifter

2. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy

Ratings:
    +314
    Thats a brilliant solution mate! I will be looking into this for sure!

3. Ensonic

Ensonic

Ratings:
    +17
    Just added a video... I the next thread I will show you my next started project. Just waiting for the Youtube Upload.

4. Ensonic

Ensonic

Ratings:
    +17
    Project DIY High End 6 Speed Shifter

After I finalized the sequential shifter I needed a replacement for my 6 speed Fanatec shifter. So again Ebay was visited and I looked again for shift levers from real cars. After a while I thought that the Mercedes A140 A-Class Shifter should be perfect. It's not to big, you have much space under and around the shifter and the lever has a spring so it returns in the X Directions allways to the middle (like in a real car). The price was fair with 18 Euro. Yesterday my parcel arrived and I made a short clip from the shifter. I will post more, after I have an idea how to get further :confused:

5. Ensonic

Ensonic

Ratings:
    +17
    set video from private to public

6. Evan Madore

Evan Madore

Ratings:
    +1
    Figured I would post this for a friend. He does not come around the hardware section as much as I do. Anywho, stolen from RSC. =] Currently he is working on a new "cleaner" version for resale.

[​IMG]

Well I was lucky enough to grab a screeny off of google cache of my original RSC post for this. However I will only give the short short version here.

Once upon the time.. I wanted to buy a shifter. I have the Logitech momo wheel with 2 pedals and at the time the G25 was still $300US. So after a very exhaustive search I found only retarded expensive pre-builts followed by complete crap pre-builts. So I turned to the DIY you-tubers only to find most of those shifters were a bit.... "ginger beer". So out I set to make a shifter to better emulate the type of shifter found in Historic GT and Touring cars.

Example! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/1966TriumphSpitfiredashKRM.jpg

Vs the open gated shifter so many other people adopt.

http://ifitsgotanengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/gated-shifter.jpg

So after 3 months of walking through Home Depot and in the basement and wiring like crazy I finally made it. Now some things I changed since the original build so I will not go into great detail as to keep from confusing people. I was just going to smash this place with images but I am limited to 4 images per post for some dumb reason. So here is the full Album http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/F12Bwth4/H Shifter/?start=all Note it is oldest picture first.

Heres a demo video from months ago

Now since the old RSC I have changed the metal H-Plate to a custom PVC one and added the 4 button box on the back and the fingertip toggle.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am seriously considering making a few of these with a custom box to sell here and on other Sim forums. But I need to hear back from Mr Bodnar to assure I won't need to screw around with broken gampads.

7. Ensonic

Ensonic

Ratings:
    +17
    Nice old sports roadster style despite of the power supply casing :)

8. Steven Ciofalo

Steven Ciofalo

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Evan for posting my shifter. Not like you couldn't have just told me about the tread. Sheesh.

Tis' the feel I was going for. It has no return to center or clunking into gear but I dont miss either of those things. I just smoothly move it from gear to gear silently like I am churning butter. Also here's the new cleaner one I am working on. May try to sell one or two since people have asked. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/H-Shifter Prototype/IMG_1845.jpg

9. Enzo90x

Enzo90x

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a sequential and h gearbox for Iracing as what you put in the first photo. How did you create it? Did you use a base? and strength?
    Thank you. Sorry for my English language.

10. Will Currington

Will Currington

Ratings:
    +7
    Here's mine.

[​IMG]

Dice

11. Will Currington

Will Currington

Ratings:
    +7
    Made things neater, adding button panel next.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a quick vid

Dice.

12. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

Ratings:
    +13
    Will,

That looks like a sturdy piece of kit. But i guess with it coming from a real car, it wont get the abuse its designed for, so should last a lifetime!!

Nicely packaged too, looks very neat now its more complete than before.

I would do this kind of thing too if i didnt use a h-shift so often lol

13. dradecki

dradecki

Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible that you could post your guide here, this looks really cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Janne Jokinen

Janne Jokinen

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice projects/shifters :)