The Big One Bites the Dust: Volkswagen Out of WRC After 2016

VOC is volatile organic compounds. Gasoline evaporates at subzero temperatures. Diesel doesn't.

NOX is nitrogen oxides. Supposedly creates smog, but still nothing conclusive.

I only know this stuff because when I worked in California, our environmental tech at the power plant was teaching our health and safety class and went off into nerdy tangents about how smog was reduced in the LA basin as soon as they started to capture VOC's from cars, making gas tanks sealed (why you get a code if you gas cap is loose), and gas filler hoses have capture lines to suck the fumes in.

Whatever VW did was cheating but many other companies do it. The article where cars did 4x more or whatever, that was a real world test, but still- it is much more extreme than the official EPA/carb or EURO testing. So of course it will say cars fail.

Whats the funniest thing is my friend who drives a Tesla. He pays about 1/2 the cost per mile for "fuel" because electricity is relatively cheap now (compared to a few years ago when they deregulated and made it open market). But when it comes to charging a battery, you lose at least 10% of electricity, another 10% or more in the power lines/transmission/substation transformers, and some loss at the power plant itself (in the USA , coal, oil, nuclear, and/or natural gas). Solar and wind are less than 10% of power and cannot replace generation because they need to have spinning reserve in case of sun or wind outage (that's another story). And uhh, coal adds to mercury in the air, which is way worse than smog or anything else. Err, nuclear is worse- fukushima disaster is still irradiating the pacific all the way to the west coast USA .

Yep, it's confirmed now. Ogier will be driving for M-Sport.
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/december-2016/ogier-msport/page/4135--12-12-.html
Disappointed to read Tanak is back. Still don't understand why Evans got the shaft. As I don't see Ogier securing a manufacturer's title alone. It's going to feel like 2009 all over again! ;)
So you think Tänak is bad because he lacks speed? Evans is horrible imo, but who cares, people keep misspelling his name so I can't take you seriously anyway.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back