Test Drive Unlimited

Its good for a quick blast, sounds and looks great, build up your virtual garage fulll of the best cars, and take them for a spin around sunny hawaii. Handles like crap, but its good fun tonking down a long straight road trying not to smash into the back of someone. Just dont play it before you go and drive to the shops or you'll end up in hosital or spending a few nights in the cells ;)

My girlfriend is harassing me to get this game! she thinks sim racing is rubbish but this she wants!!! phhh, women!

It doesnt look too real, but looks entertaining like the old Driver game.

Does anyone know if the multiplayer works to connect PC & Xbox360 users?

No, if you play on PC, you only see PC users, if on Xbox360, you only see Xbox360 users. Great game, I'm sure you'll enjoy that! Also for those who like sims more, there is the hardcore mode, which is very nice I think!

What I like the most about that game is the huge amount of cars, especially if you get the megapack too! And cruising of course, on that huge island! You can even leave the road and get to the falls and such things on dirt roads or completely offroad! Huge fun trying to climb on a hill with the weakest cars:D (Mercedes 300SL Gullwing f.e.)

My girlfriend also like it!:)

Edit: the megapack is for the PC, on Xbox 360 the bonus cars came in smaller packs, and overall the Xbox bonus cars cost much more, but the Xbox DLC6 content isn't in the PC megapack.

Thanks Peter, looking for that info everywhere!

Im sure i will play it, i used to play midtown madness a lot.
but being a sad git, i would drive legally and stop at all the red lights and signal to turn corners. omg kill me now, what was i doing!

Can be fun for escape (even though it gets boring pretty quickly) but no comparison to any of the sims (gtr2,rfactor,gpl,gtl,evo,etc).

Like others I found it a real hog on my system, you need a good PC to run this one.

Started playing again!:) Already pro and have 4 cars: Jaguar E-Type, Ford Mustang (tuned for racing),a beautiful white Chevy Corvette C1, and an Audi TT:) Took some pics!

Waiting to be champion and get hardcore mode! It's really great!:)

Attachments

• 20090201104440.jpg
    20090201104440.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 20090201112855.jpg
    20090201112855.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 20090201164922.jpg
    20090201164922.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20090201165130.jpg
    20090201165130.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 213
Arcady handling but in someways SIM. feel.I really wish the bikes handled better.On the good side if you have a friend to race around the island with,this game is a 9/10

• Kyle Evers

I've heard hardcore mode is interesting - attempting to get to that point now ;).

I'm hoping the second is better than the first. I play it occasionally out of boredom, I modded it a bit so there's no traffic, that stuff got annoying. There's about 5 different exhaust/engine sounds for the plethora of cars in the game, and the roads are all very bouncy and hard to drive on. It's fun, but not amazing. I'm hoping the second has some offroad stuff, and some track racing.

• Kyle Evers

It's like driving on ice :D

Normal mode still feels like there are forces at work keeping you on the road. hardcore mode is the simulation mode, basically. I hope you enjoy understeer!

Yeah. I play on normal mode (haven't unlocked hardcore yet) with no aids and it slides everywhere.

I think the moving around or sliding is from the rough roads.It's not so easy going down the road at 150mph is it.(i like that effect)

Got to champion level again. Almost forgot how great is hardcore mode:)
To be honest I don't think it's like driving on ice, at slow speeds it feels quite realistic. At high speeds, I don't really know cause the fastest speed I've done in real life was 110km/h, but I think that should be right as well. Don't forget these are road cars, on road tires, on real roads, so there must be a lot less grip and road cars have totally different setups as well! (aimed on stability and safety, not turning fast)

So now, as I really don't like mess, I sold almost everything in the game as I don't need them for a while (except the Alfa 8C cause that's a reward car), bought a beautiful house and a Lexus SC430, and now I'm going to travel the island! This is the only mission I never did in the game to be honest, exploring all the roads. But I heard there's a nice house as a reward:) And surely it's a nice relaxing thing to drive around in this game!

Edit: One thing isn't right in the game though! If I turn auto clutch off and put it on a button, and try to ride at low speeds without gas pedal (f.e. at 40km/h in 4th gear), it slows down and stalls. I've tried setting the clutch on the brake pedal as well, just to try it, I can start the car without touching the gas but as soon as I fully release the clutch it slows down and stalls. (but I believe this isn't a thing that most people will miss in this game though LOL)

Hi Gongongmesteren,

I bought the game a couple month back. Although I'm totally into Racing Sim., I very much enjoyed this game! If you like NFS, then you will also like this one!

Police: Yes, there is Police in the game, however, they are not so much a pain in the ass like in NFS. If you are a decent driver, you will be able to just loose them!

What I liked about this game especially, is the career setup!
--> you start out with a little car, win the races and buy better and better cars. Additionally, you buy yourself a nicer house with more parking slots, use the picture mode (anywhere you are on this island you can take out the virtual camera and take a pic of your ride and store it in you photo album).
Save up money to buy an old corvette or camaro, then become a "collector" if you own more cars, compede in races where only oldtimers are allowed to participate.........

you can join clubs, create your own, invite friends to join them, race with your buddies on the streets of that island...

I personally enjoyed the fact that you get to drive those supercars with very detailled cockpits, awsome sounds and all this on road with traffic, stop lights etc.

Track IR works in the game as well as all features of the logitech G25.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find many people! I guess TDU 2 will change all that once it's out!

But until then, if you want to just ride very nice cars on this wonderfully designed island, just for the driving's sake, not for the sake of beating lap times, get it !

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 253 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%