Terrible AI at Monza 66?

I've had this game for a few months now. Generally I've found the AI at most tracks to be pretty decent, in the sense of being somewhat predictable. Lately I've spent some time driving the Lotus 25 and 49 around historic Monza and decided it would be fun to have a race against the AI with the 49. I set up a mixed field of 49s and the Ferrari 312/67s. I start at the rear.

What an exercise in frustration! Usually several cars of the full field manage to go extremely wide at Curva Grande and get in the dirt, re-enter the track going slow and then complete chaos ensues. They have similar issues at the exit of Ascari, but not as bad.

Messing around with the AI settings doesn't seem to help much.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I love these cars at this track, but it's just awful getting collected on a regular basis because the AI drives like complete morons.

I think it's maybe the 66 track. I tried it with the Lotus 25s and they were not *so* bad, but still the same issues. These cars seem to act more or less "appropriately" at Brands Hatch, but I've not done much other comparison. I should have tried it with the modern version of Monza, but didn't think to do it.

I think it's partly because most AI in sims have trouble driving these old cars. They can't handle the 'wobblyness'. Monza 66 is the classic example. For example, driving the Lotus 49 or the Ferrari 330 P4 through Vialone I can pretty much keep my foot down. The AI always lift and it means I can catch them up really easily on the other side. I posted about this ages ago. Maybe there will be more AI tweaks in the future to fix it, but I'm not so sure.

Hi,
you may try the file in the attachment.
just drop it in ks_monza66/road/data
plus:spread a little bit the grid with the ai variation option (i use something like 95% +/-5%) to make the ai run less close (but dont launch a quick race, a qualifying session is necessary, otherwise the worst ai driver could make an obstruction at the top of the grid)
that could improve the thing (if not : throw the file into the bin)
good racing

Attachments

• ai_hints.ini
    438 bytes · Views: 329
Last edited:
Hi,
you may try the file in the attachment.
just drop it in ks_monza66/road/data
plus:spread a little bit the grid with the ai variation option (i use something like 95% +/-5%) to make the ai run less close (but dont launch a quick race, a qualifying session is necessary, otherwise the worst ai driver could make an obstruction at the top of the grid)
that could improve the thing (if not : throw the file into the bin)
good racing
Thanks a lot for this file :)
I have used it with the GT40, 908LH and the P330. It worked fine. And I have used it with the Cobra 427 s/c - it worked fine. Without your ai file, those were unraceable with ai for me.
I did not use your tips on doing a qualifying session first, nor using variation. And it worked fine anyway. A couple of cars kick up some dust as they get half a wheel off track on the first right-hander, but they do not crash and don't even have to slow down.
Excellent!
Thank you for doing this :)
I'd suggest you make a new thread / create a resource to make your file known to other Race Departmenters - and they can download it from that thread.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back