Templates and Painting Instructions

I havent seen the car templates yet so dont know if they contain one or not. But you can just add an alpha layer, fill it with a colour grey rgb 100-100-100 or something like that and put some opacitiy on it, with opacitiy you can determine the shinyness of the car if im not mistaken.

Yes with an alpha layer you can fix the shinyness. The darker the color of the alphalayer is, the less shiny the car gets. So you can play with that and make parts more shiny than others. Just parts with no alpha-information at all always will look stupidly shiny. So even for creating a very silvery shiniy color no alpha-layer at all would be to shiny.
So I am very happy that alpha layer on Helmet templates is allowed now, because that would have looked like a shiny bowling ball. :p

I have a question in regards to the Williams cars. It appears there are only 6 dds files to overwrite in the template folders. Does anyone know what file is being accessed/applied to the inside of the rear wing where the Bridgestone logos are?

In the Template folder, there is file called 'FW31_CF_MASTER.psd' that is the texture for this, but I can't see a spot to overwrite the dds for that texture.

At the very least will the Bridgestone logo be removed from the final common texture (if in fact it will stay common)?

Thanks.

And one other question if you can please answer both...

Last year, with two cars in each series per team, there ended up being two helmets (one for Massa and one for Alonso)... Can you please confirm that this year, we will just duplicate the same helmet twice once there is two cars per series per team?

Meaning that it will be Rosberg's helmet twice for Williams rather than two different helmets with 2 different UV layouts like last year... That way, the helmets between driver 1 and 2 will be transferable which would be nice.

Thanks.

ok im confused making the files for the cars in the veh folder i named it Kr and put the 2 .veh files one for each car, do i put the car .dds files into a seperate folder (what should i call these folders) or should i just put them in the Veh folder also do i have to put the helmet files in both cars?

would help if someone could post an example folder ;)

@Ben
this texture will stay in the common folder, but it will be fixed in the next days.

Both cars in one team use the same helmet, so they are exchangable between driver 1 and 2.

@ Chris

you make a folder for the .veh files, from there you make a subfolder, in your case, "World Trophy" and under this your teamfolder which has to be named like your teamabbreviation, in your case KR, in this folder you put the cartextures for both cars.

So the link in the veh file should be "World Trophy/KR/WT_KR_26.dds"

I was looking at the Ferrrai templates that I downloaded when they became available and realized the UVs and template images are quite a bit off compared to the ones in the mod.

Does anyone have a link to the tempalate that actually lines up with the Ferrari chassis that is in our mod?

Thanks.

Hey everyone - Sorry to be the texture police, but...

Just took a look at the latest mod updates and quite a few of the texture sets are still double the allowed size. The templates were 2k textures so you have to half the size of the final textures before saving your .dds files when you send them in. (One quick way to check is that the majority of the large files should be 1,366 KB rather than 5,462 KB)

Things were a bit confusing since the templates were larger than the in-game files, but the instruction states -

1.3- Keep the original file resolution (from the ingame files)
(You can open the files in the EX folders to see the original file sizes).

This will be handy to all of us otherwise our texture memory on our PCs is going to be maxed out and we will all get slower performance.

If you have yet to send in your textures, make sure to check the size first. To make things easy for those of you that have already sent them in, especially in cases where someone else created your textures, the current offenders are:

World Championship
Brawn
AA

Ferrari
PM

Williams
GTOR

World Series
Brawn
AFD
AF1
BBR

Williams
GTOR
GTORP

World Trophy
Brawn
05M
AA
AF1
AFD
HM

Williams
GTOB
GTOR
TP2
TPW

so that is really something I also missunderstood.
About downsizing. Before downsizing you can merge all layers together and then downsize and write .dds from that.
I also didn´t downsize my files because I had no idea that the templates were bigger than the ingame files.
interessting though that we didn´t get a message that anything was wrong with the file-size.
So someone should officially state if we have to do that now or not.

It is official. I talked to Johannes and was saving him some time with everything else he has to do writing it here. Trust me, it is to all of our benefit otherwise with 22+ cars on the grid with double size textures, it is pretty much 4 times the texture memory.

As for how to do it. You can just re-open just the .dds files, scale them down and save them back out in the proper formats as mentioned in the post. Some are DXT-5 with Alpha, some are DXT-1 without.

As far as the templates having some locked layers in Photoshop, that doesn't matter for scaling -they will remain locked unless you select that layer and unclick the lock icon manually. In those cases, you dont want to scale each layer, you want to scale the whole image. Go to Image --> Image Size and match the size to the corresponding texture in the example folders (EX) for each of the chassis types. Some of the textures are not square (i.e. the helmets, but just keep 'constrain proportions' on when you are re-sizing, so that the texture stays proportional and make sure that the largest scale value is 1024). In most cases if you are using templates, you will be changing 2048 to 1024.

As noted above, the difference should mostly be seeing file sizes change from around 5,462 KB to 1,366 KB.

Hello,

yes I´m sorry I didn´t check all files before uploading. It would be good if you can make an update for the files until tomorrow evening, if you couldn´t update them until tomorrow evening I will do it myself.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 38.9%