• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Tell Us Your Favourite Le Mans Moment

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,381
    Le Mans 2017.jpg
    Porsche rise like a phoenix from the flames, LMP 2 causes quite a stir and Aston Martin snatch it at the death - Le Mans 2017 was quite a race and full of action throughout.

With the chequer having waived, the champagne flowed and the celebratory slaps on the back or consolatory hugs and handshakes now over it feels like the perfect time to digest the action from Le Mans and share our opinions on the best, and worst, of the 85th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours.

With only six LMP 1 cars taking the start in France following the withdrawal of Audi at the end of 2016 it was always going to be a pretty open affair right from the get go. Toyota would be entering the race looking to make up for last years heartbreak with a three car strong assault, Porsche would be entering the race looking to make it three Le Mans victories on the bounce and the small privateer ByKolles team would be hoping to stick around and about the lead pack in the hope of picking up a surprise result.

Meanwhile in the incredibly tight 25 car strong LMP2 category the teams would be looking to not only secure victory in their own class but also to keep an eye out on the biggest prize in endurance racing, ready to keep up the pressure and see if the mighty Porsche and Toyota teams would allow some meaningful scraps from the table to drop the way of the second tier of Le Mans Prototype racers.

Prior to the event much confusion lay with the genuine form book for the GT teams, with many rumours flying around that big hitters Ford and Ferrari had been sandbagging heavily in the build up to the race in an effort to avoid substantial BOP restrictions and leave their cars too far away from the competitive baseline to cruise away from the field as in 2016.

Once the green flag dropped at 3pm local time in the village of Le Mans in France many of the above questions would be answered over the course of the 24 hours of racing, however with so much excitement on track and behind the scenes, what was your highlight from the 2017 running of the greatest motor race on earth?

Let us know in the comments section below!

Le Mans 2017 3.jpg Le Mans 2017 4.jpg Le Mans 2017 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,381
    Highlight / lowlight of the race for me would be ByKolles.

Turned up with a sloppy team and poor car just looking to hang around and see if they could pick up a decent finish and stay out of trouble.

Had a reasonable quali to keep ahead of the strong LMP2 field then went and threw it all away on the opening lap with contact and ultimately retirement.

Only thing they had to do in a 24 hour race was keep out of trouble.. crashed on lap 1.

Awesomely poor.

Bet Kubica is glad he walked away from that mess before the start of the season....... :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stig Bidstrup

Stig Bidstrup
    Jarek Says- "900 degrees of rotation" Premium

Ratings:
    +940
    I rarely get out of seat because of excitement , But Corvette in GTE pro fighting for survival in the remaining 30 minutes got me up--I even shouted :rolleyes::) I was on the Corvette side..

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. leseb64

leseb64

Ratings:
    +125
    all GT fight!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sven Wever

Sven Wever

Ratings:
    +6
    Well thats easy... Last 2 rounds GTE.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pedrotrindade

pedrotrindade
    Virtual Gentleman Driver Premium

Ratings:
    +20
    +1

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. felippekiss

felippekiss

Ratings:
    +71
    Aston Martin overtake Corvette and winning GTE class on final laps

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sérgio Bruno

Sérgio Bruno

Ratings:
    +4
    GTE-Pro fight

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Brownninja97

Brownninja97

Ratings:
    +1,134
    The transition from Porsche between Lotterer losing his oil and them realising they can still make it. theres many fantastic parts of the race but you rarely get that emotion from teams

10. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen
    Play by Play LoL+RL Caster at AussieGamingTV Premium

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Listening to the British commentary as the Aston overtook the Corvette at the start of the final lap. Big Aston fan too, great moment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jach

Jach

Ratings:
    +13
    When Porsche #2 passed all of the LMP2.

12. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +344
    ASTON!!!!!!!!!

13. St3fan

St3fan

Ratings:
    +412
    The most touchy moment for me personally was when the #9 Toyota LMP1 somehow started moving toward the pit lane after sitting for a while, and the pit crew cheered and rushed out ready for a pit stop. They stood there and waited and waited and waited but never saw the car coming in :( Very emotional moment for me, reminding me of many sad movies.

Starting at about 0:40 of this video below:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tswest

tswest

Ratings:
    +2
    LE MANS 2017 - FROM START TO FINISH !!

There was no single moments but lots of little ones from the start to the finish - the greatest race on earth !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JPL083

JPL083

Ratings:
    +58
    Aston vs Vette last stint fight, haven't been that exited for a long time :sleep:...:geek: Cheered for both, who's ahead win's! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Bertil

Bertil

Ratings:
    +7
    The moment when it actually seemed possible for an LMP2 car to win overall.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Slalom823

Slalom823
    RDTCC S10 Champion Premium

Ratings:
    +430
    My favorite would be fellow sim racer (now pro racer) Edgar Lau racing in the 55 minute Road to Lemans in an lmp3 car I believe and doing a phenomenal job. In a field of 49 then started 10th and in his 25-30 minute stint he went from 10th to 5th before handing the car over to his teammate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snyperal

snyperal
    Premium

Ratings:
    +81
    I was rooting for the Astons chuffed with the result. Unlucky for the 95 car, such a shame.

Feel awful for Toyota, they just had it in the bag, sown up and in the space of half an hour it had all gone wrong for them. Gutting.

Great race though and we'll done Porsches!

19. Glaurung

Glaurung
    Premium

Ratings:
    +777
    Not favourite, but it was quite dramatic the slow lap of the Toyota dying in the attempt to reach the boxes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Timmy UK

Timmy UK
    Premium

Ratings:
    +65
    All of it.
    Wonderful event.
    Wonderful showcase for motorsport.
    F1 needs to learn and understand, people at the events, people watching at home on free to view TV, make the events.
    If children cannot see and visit events, the sport will die.
    Rush for cash, is killing F1.
    Aston Martin, great race.
    Sad for Corrvette, great racing car.
    Both cars sound stunning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1