Resource icon

Misc Telemetry Application 2.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Thanks very much for this; I used it for the first time tonight in a league race but sadly I only saw laps 30-56 displayed in lap times and I was looking forward to seeing how metronomic my first 30 laps were!

I don't suppose you could add a function for opening multiple files into the 'race info' tab could you? I think this would be a massive help for people running races longer than 26 laps or alternatively, adding a slider into the lap times section would be fantastic. :)

edit: Being able to open more than one file at a time would be awesome for this as well; if you wanted any help with this, feel free to ask.

When you change track in the application (or press key 's' in racepanel), the application automatically saves the laptimes + sectortimes into /laptimes/<trackname>_<date>.csv files. You could load these to any spreadsheet program.

At the moment the tool is just showing the number of laptimes, that can be displayed. I could add there a way to show more laptimes. The graph however shows all laptimes.

Good job Iko !

Last year, I used a similar program but had been written at the time for GP4. This is F1Preview and datalogger. I guess you based on that for your program in java and I think the result is very successful. Bravo

It's good to have telemetry but everything is how to use it. It's a shame that there is no data for the temperature of the tires to be able to adjust camber for example ... The height of the F1 ... but not your fault...

However, I found a pdf for interest in reading telemetry:
http://www.m-world.us/aimsupport/Data% 20101% 20 -% 202013.pdf

Last year, I used a similar program but had been written at the time for GP4. This is F1Preview and datalogger. I guess you based on that for your program in java and I think the result is very successful. Bravo

It's good to have telemetry but everything is how to use it. It's a shame that there is no data for the temperature of the tires to be able to adjust camber for example ... The height of the F1 ... but not your fault...

However, I found a pdf for interest in reading telemetry:
http://www.m-world.us/aimsupport/Data% 20101% 20 -% 202013.pdf

Yeah, I would love to have access to more data from the game. But it is quite limited, what we get out at the moment (without going the .dll path).

I got into the F1 games with F1 2010. I didn't like much F1 2011 with the oversteery feeling. Then F1 2012 came out and I was now struggling with the understeer, so I found F1 Speed from Robert Gray http://www.robertgray.net.au/?tag=f1speed which I used for a while with F1Perfview http://rsdi.home.xs4all.nl/f1perfview.html . Using these two tools I was able to fix my driving and learned e.g that I was often fully braking and steering at the same time.

Then I got out on my own quest, to see if I can find out the relation between steering and car's direction changes from the telemetry feed, thus better understanding the skid/understeer. I used Robert's findings + some other data from the internet as the base for decoding the telemetry feed. I never got that skid/understeer data sorted out to my full satisfaction, but at the same time the result grew up into what you see today.

And when I realized that I have quite nice tool, I just decided to let others enjoy it too.

But the truth is, the tool doesn't make you better driver, it is just provides a way to learn how to be a better driver.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I mostly use telemetry to manage the gearbox. I admit that the graphic layout of the circuit is simply awesome. I maximize the revs with it.
You have corrected your way to brake and take your turn but could you give other examples to fully use your tool?
It's all about balance, but if you can read the data through telemetry correctly, you become a pro of setting up a car.

Iko Rein updated Telemetry Application with a new update entry:

New version with access to data via tablet/smartphone

Hello,

Here is new version (1.1) of my telemetry application. I consider this as the last version for F1 2013 (unless I need to make a bug fix).

What is new:
  • Added extra Graph panel. You can set e.g. Speed to x-axis and Gears to y-axis and show only points where Revs are above e.g. 16000.
  • Added embedded http server. Now you can change track e.g. from tablet/smartphone and access some of the data also on your tablet/smart phone. This is a proof of concept, but can be easily...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Iko Rein updated Telemetry Application with a new update entry:

New version with access to data via tablet/smartphone

Hello,

Here is new version (1.1a) of my telemetry application. I consider this as the last version for F1 2013 (unless I need to make a bug fix).

What is new:
  • Added extra Graph panel. You can set e.g. Speed to x-axis and Gears to y-axis and show only points where Revs are above e.g. 16000.
  • Added embedded http server. Now you can change track e.g. from tablet/smartphone and access some of the data also on your tablet/smart phone. This is a proof of concept, but can be easily...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Is this open source? If not, why not? It would be wonderful to tweak this a bit for my own needs without rewriting it from scratch.

The Telemetry application is not open source. Key reason would be that I haven't commented/documented it well enough to help/enable others start building on it. Originally my idea was to just create something small, and today the loc is nearing 20k lines.

If I decide to stop developing the tool, I will clean the code and then release it under GPL v2 or GPL v3.

If there are some special tweaks you need, feel free to drop me a note on what you would need and I will see, if such a wish can be fulfilled.

Cheers.

What is it mean "enable data feed from F1 2013"?

To capture the telemetry data from the F1 201x applications, you need to enable it in the hardware_settings_config.xml (e.g. for F1 2013 in your userDir\My Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2013\hardwaresettings\)

In the hardware_settings_config.xml Find line starting with <motion and change the line to be like this: <motion enabled="true" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="1" />

Please check the ReadMe.txt in the .zip.

Cheers.

Do you know if there is an issue with the Steam version of F1 2013 where it blocks the feed?

I have followed the ReadMe.txt file instructions to the letter and can get the test feed data to work but nothing comes through from the program. I have double-checked that the IP & port details match exactly but no feed from the program so I am curious if anyone has this working with the Steam version.

Thanks.

Do you know if there is an issue with the Steam version of F1 2013 where it blocks the feed?

I have followed the ReadMe.txt file instructions to the letter and can get the test feed data to work but nothing comes through from the program. I have double-checked that the IP & port details match exactly but no feed from the program so I am curious if anyone has this working with the Steam version.

Thanks.
I use the application with the latest Steam version (from game_version.txt versionNumber = 908937).

One reason the data might be blocked, is that your firewall has prevented the access.

If you have the latest version (Telemetry_v1.1a.zip), then you could test the connection to the Telemetry application using the connection tester. I.e. you first start the Telemetry app and then start the feed tester:
From the ReadMe
"If you are not sure, the feed comes through, you can try to run on dos prompt
> java -classpath Telemetry.jar f1_telemetry.F1FeedTester
This will create some test feed, which the program can recognize."
The feed "simulates" a car driving around in circle.

Cheers.

Can you make it use less performance? It loses me 20 fps in-game (so... 50 to 30 with lag spikes from my PC)
Great mod btw :thumbsup:

Can you make it use less performance? It loses me 20 fps in-game (so... 50 to 30 with lag spikes from my PC)
Great mod btw :thumbsup:
What type of system do you have? I run i7 960 + gtx 680 with plenty of memory and I don't get any noticeable lag or drop in performance.

I have done some profiling on both CPU and memory usage to trim them, but I know I might be able to squeeze some more, if it was a wider issue.

If you have a spare laptop, you could use that for the telemetry application, i.e. run F1 2013 in the desktop and use the laptop for telemetry. That is what I did in the past, before I got a second monitor).

Cheers.

What type of system do you have? I run i7 960 + gtx 680 with plenty of memory and I don't get any noticeable lag or drop in performance.

I have done some profiling on both CPU and memory usage to trim them, but I know I might be able to squeeze some more, if it was a wider issue.
I have:
Intel Pentium G2020 2.9 GHZ (2 core)
AMD Radeon HD 6570
4 GB RAM
Btw I had lag spikes before, it's just my PC, that's why I need 50 fps in game, so it goes down only to 30
If you have a spare laptop, you could use that for the telemetry application, i.e. run F1 2013 in the desktop and use the laptop for telemetry. That is what I did in the past, before I got a second monitor)..
Nope. Just this PC

Hi Iko,
Love the app!

According to this post:
http://www.robertgray.net.au/posts/codemasters-f1-data-feed-updated#.UxhewpIayK0
More data (including KERS & DRS) are available if you use extradata="2".

I'd love to see them incorporated...

Ian

Yeah, I would love to have access to more data from the game. But it is quite limited, what we get out at the moment (without going the .dll path).

I got into the F1 games with F1 2010. I didn't like much F1 2011 with the oversteery feeling. Then F1 2012 came out and I was now struggling with the understeer, so I found F1 Speed from Robert Gray http://www.robertgray.net.au/?tag=f1speed which I used for a while with F1Perfview http://rsdi.home.xs4all.nl/f1perfview.html . Using these two tools I was able to fix my driving and learned e.g that I was often fully braking and steering at the same time.

Then I got out on my own quest, to see if I can find out the relation between steering and car's direction changes from the telemetry feed, thus better understanding the skid/understeer. I used Robert's findings + some other data from the internet as the base for decoding the telemetry feed. I never got that skid/understeer data sorted out to my full satisfaction, but at the same time the result grew up into what you see today.

And when I realized that I have quite nice tool, I just decided to let others enjoy it too.

But the truth is, the tool doesn't make you better driver, it is just provides a way to learn how to be a better driver.

Cheers.
Hi,

Hi Iko,
Love the app!

According to this post:
http://www.robertgray.net.au/posts/codemasters-f1-data-feed-updated#.UxhewpIayK0
More data (including KERS & DRS) are available if you use extradata="2".

I'd love to see them incorporated...

Ian
Hi,

Whoa, thank you for the link.

I used F1 Speed prior creating my own app, but haven't checked that lately. I just did a quick test, and I could see the data as described in Robert's link.

So what next?

For simply displaying the telemetry for current/previous laps it is easy to add. To make the save file format compatible, I need to look bit on how to do it the smart way to ensure the old data can still be used.

I will start working on this, but I cannot give estimates, when I can get a new version out.

//Cheers

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back