Resource icon

Misc Telemetry Application 5.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
I am new to sims and so far only have a PS4 and Mac... I know, pretty rough combo. Is it possible to run this app on mac?

Try this:
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -jar "C:\Users\my_username\Documents\My Games\Telemetry_v5.1\Telemetry.jar"

Obviously Telemetry.jar is wherever you unpacked the thing. Java executes jar files, not exe files.

Java is cross-platform and you probably already have java so it should work on Mac.
So I am also new to Java and really all coding (I am eager to learn though). I figured out how to unzip the file and I have found the Telemetry.jar file, but it give me the error message "The Java JAR file 'Telemetry.jar' could not be launched." And then it says: "Check the Console for possible error messages." My only option for the popup window is to click ok. So when this happened I figured I had to download Java, so I did that, but I still get the same message. Any ideas?

The basic instruction for running a jar file is to go to a command line and type

java -jar jarfile.jar

or in this case

java -jar Telemetry.jar

How to make it more "maccy" is up to you and your Google skills.
Lol will do. I'm just playing right now and trying to figure it all out so hopefully I dont screw my whole comp up. Thank you for the tips though

I'm having an issue with loading data from a file. I either just get about the last 1/3 of a lap, or I get flat lines for all inputs.

When this data is live it is ok, it's just loading it from the .csv files afterwards that causes problems.
Does this happen with the latest 5.1. and the latest version from Steam?

Last edited:
Does this happen with the latest 5.1. and the latest version from Steam?
I am using the latest 5.1. I am playing on PS4.

The fastest lap files work, but the files in the 'lapdata' directory are a bit odd.

Some are only 2KB, most are around 3,000KB. If you open it in excel it seems that the time column starts at zero, then goes to the final time, then 50 seconds onwards:
telemetry.jpg

Iko Rein,
Would you please check 5.1. I download and unpack with 7zip and run java -jar telemetry.jar as administrator and it creates the fastest_laps, laptimtes, etc. directories but gives and error that it can't find settings/graph_settings.xml or /settings/settings.xml. The settings folder is empty. Version 5.0 is exactly the same. I know I had this working just the other night, so I'm kind of stumped as to what might have happened. 5.0 doesn't run and the settings directory is empty too.

java 1.8.0_60

Last edited:
Could someone provide the link for me to download the correct Java for mac? There are so many different downloads and I cannot figure out which one is the one I am supposed to be using...

I am using the latest 5.1. I am playing on PS4.

The fastest lap files work, but the files in the 'lapdata' directory are a bit odd.

Some are only 2KB, most are around 3,000KB. If you open it in excel it seems that the time column starts at zero, then goes to the final time, then 50 seconds onwards:

There was /is problem with the online event data, as the data feed gets messed up when the sector changes. I adapted the tool in 5.1 to this, but if you have data recorded from F1 2016 with the 5.0, you will most likely have only partial files saved.

Iko Rein,
Would you please check 5.1. I download and unpack with 7zip and run java -jar telemetry.jar as administrator and it creates the fastest_laps, laptimtes, etc. directories but gives and error that it can't find settings/graph_settings.xml or /settings/settings.xml. The settings folder is empty. Version 5.0 is exactly the same. I know I had this working just the other night, so I'm kind of stumped as to what might have happened. 5.0 doesn't run and the settings directory is empty too.

java 1.8.0_60
Hmm, I never run this as administrator, as I keep the files in area (under \users\ or under \bin\telemetry), where it doesn't require admin rights. If you start the plain app, and then press CTRL-S, the system should create at least the settings.xml.

So I tested bit more. If you put the app in Program Files and run it without the admin rights, the system cannot write data to those directorie . So if you put it into the Program Files directory, you have two options:
1) You need to run the tool with elevated rights.
2) You edit the baseSettings.xml and either put set dataDir to userDir (files will be written to \users\<user>\telemetry or set some path with the Path!. This way the files can be written without the need to use elevated rights.

If you run the program from the command prompt with the java -jar command, you will see with a fresh install the error messages, because those files don't exist, when you start the Telemetry tool. If you do CTRL-S from the tool, then the settings file will be created and if you modify the position of the graphs and save them, then the graph-settings will be saved.

In 5.1. You can turn off the error messages by setting in the BaseSettings.xml the LoggingLevel to OFF. That is the default with 5.1.

//Cheers.

There was /is problem with the online event data, as the data feed gets messed up when the sector changes. I adapted the tool in 5.1 to this, but if you have data recorded from F1 2016 with the 5.0, you will most likely have only partial files saved.

This is offline data, from the 5.1 version. When these laps are live, or they become my fastest, they are saved ok. It seems to be just when they are saved to the lapdata directory that this issue happens.

Thanks for replying and creating the tool by the way, has improved my enjoyment of the game.

I store the Telemetry app in a My Games folder inside my home/documents folder. I mentioned that I tried to run it as administrator because it wouldn't run with my account. When I run the java -jar Telemetry.jar command the first time, it creates several empty folders including settings. But it won't start because it can't find the two files I mentioned above. Every time I run it after that, it gives the same error and exits back to the command line, so there is no opportunity within the program to do ^s. The program doesn't run. Was there possibly a java update with last week's Windows updates?

@Iko Rein Can you just clarify something for me re this application. Does it supply all the same telemetry for the console as it does for PC? For example from that graph I see throttle, brake and gears, etc. I haven;t had a chance to try it myself yet but hopefully will do so over the weekend so just curious as some seem to think the data for console does not include everything that is on the PC which I thought was unlikely to be the case.

So I am also new to Java and really all coding (I am eager to learn though). I figured out how to unzip the file and I have found the Telemetry.jar file, but it give me the error message "The Java JAR file 'Telemetry.jar' could not be launched." And then it says: "Check the Console for possible error messages." My only option for the popup window is to click ok. So when this happened I figured I had to download Java, so I did that, but I still get the same message. Any ideas?
same here, but it seems none of us are getting help form the guys here
I really want to use this app since I am losing time to AI like crazy, I want to see what is the different between me and the AI

As normal, you need to read the ReadMe.txt first. There are quite clear instructions, how to get the system up and running. In short.
  1. Install Java. (If you want to see it works, open command prompt and type 'java -version')
  2. When Java is up, unzip the package somewhere on your system. (If you put it into the 'Program Files' directories, then you need to do bit more, which I would not recommend for the first-timers). I would recommend, that you either create a C:\bin\Telemetry directory or you create the 'Telemetry' directory under your home directory, i.e. in Explorer type %homepath% and create the 'Telemetry' there (typically C:\users\<your user id>) and unzip the files into that directory. This is how run the tool.
  3. If you have done everything correct, the Telemetry.jar should have the Java icon. If there is no Java icon, your Java installation is not properly done. You might want to try to restart your computer just in case.
  4. Now you could try to start the tool by double-clicking the Telemetry.jar
  5. If the tool doesn't start you need to revisit one of the 1 or 2.
  6. If the tool starts, then you can close it and change the hardware_settings_config.xml as stated in the ReadMe.txt.
  7. When you have done the change, you can start the Telemetry tool.
  8. Then start the F1 2016
  9. If you have done this all properly, then when you go e.g. to Time Trial, when you start the first timed lap, you should start see the graph forming on the Telemetry tab.
I haven't tested the version on Mac since 3.1, so I don't know if it has changed somehow.

If you take the feed from PS4/XBOX, please contact me, so we can run some tests to see what the feed contains. It could be, that the feed is not the same as from the PC version, but I cannot verify that, as I don't own any console.

Cheers.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 263 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 174 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 173 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years