TC65 Selection @ Zolder - Thu 1st November

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: TC65 - Lancia Fulvia 1600 (download) / Mini Cooper S (default) / NSU TT (part1 + part2) / Porsche 912 (download)
Track: Zolder (default)

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (13 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (13 laps)

Note 1: Default Skins or Skins that come with the Mods Only. All downloads are RD hosted - all are the same as previously linked external downloads, so if you already have them installed, you don't need to replace anything.
Note 2: You must drive a different model vehicle in each race.
Note 3: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Rupe Wilson
  3. Senad Subasic
  4. Hans Sneep
  5. Peter Van Zanten
  6. Simon Bacon
  7. Rokas Charlapavicius
  8. Knut Omdal Tveito
  9. Paul Bennett
  10. Rui F. Martins
  11. Warren Dawes
  12. Carlos Diaz
  13. Dave Stephenson
  14. Jack Smith
  15. Jacob Boonstra
  16. Bob Hutchins
  17. Bram Hengeveld
  18. Roland Warmenhoven
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

My first online race not my best in Mini way off the pace +1 lap

:(
Good to see at least you got things working fine Paul, and good to find you on TS as well.
Too bad you didn't make it for Race 2 tonight, hope to see you back next time.
As Senad said, don't worry about your pace.:whistling:
Honestly, for me the quickest way to improve when I first joined was to just keep racing with fellow humans. Just from watching them I could learn much much more than from racing the AI. I remember being unable to hang on to the back of the field here when I first joined.
Seriously, for some races my single goal was: finish the race and not in last.
Most of the regulars here will always help you out with anything, and you might be surprised at how quick you'll be up to speed..:)

Wow what a turn out...great stuff...:thumbsup:

There allot of life left in this sim and as we've being saying for a while now its the group that makes the fun.. and the cars that give you the racing...(thanks Stu and knut; great choice of cars and on a classic track like Zolder..)
T/speak was great, good banter from all..Jack was on great form tonight...(crashed a couple of times in practice laughing so hard ..:laugh:
Had great fun in the NSU TT in race 1. I tried a bit hard and spun tyring to keep up with the front group so had to regroup and the fun started again.. I backed of a bit and was soon racing hard again.. its a pity your engine died Bram that was lining up for a good race
hope to see you again on track.. the laps soon clicked by and I did finally break the 2min lap. once again some good racing. Looking at the replay there was allot of fun going on through the pack in both races..
Race 2, I was in the Porsche.. and although I was quicker in other cars this was so much fun to drive its a great mod.. you can see and feel there's some dedicated people who love their work....it drive's sublime and I once again got my lap time down when I didn't push to hard... Great fun and when Peter came by me at a rate of knots I was soon over-driving it again to try and catch up..(bad Rupe ) but it was fun sliding .... Bob then got by so I just raced to the finish not the quickest but real good fun...
all in a a great night of fun...(once again)..
Catch you all next Thursday...;)

Just to back up the others great to see you on track Paul, glad you enjoyed it ...:)
And hope to see you soon on track again ..There's often some guys on the server the night before the race. If you cant make race night come and join us then...just leave a message on the forum in the club event that your on the server.....

Never was a fan of Zolder. I love that first bit, gained time there in the Mini, but as soon as those chicanes pop up... Not my thing.

Still, great stuff in race 1. Messed it up off the line, blahblah, but kept close to the guys ahead, mostly because they were busy racing each other. Some close calls, but incident free.
Fun and close racing with Stuart towards the end. Loved that, happy I could keep so close without contacts. Was unpleasantly surprised when I realized the race was over, 20 metres before I crossed the finish line myself :D

Tried the NSU first for race 2. Loved the heavy steering, all the squeaky noises inside, and the way it handled.
But spun it early on, and the engine noise was hurting my ears, so I tried the Porsche. The steering was very light, didn't like it, but it was much nicer and easier to drive. Unfortunately, I had trouble figuring out when to change gear without looking at the rev counter, so went back to the NSU :roflmao:

Wasn't competitive at all, started near the end I think. Carlos had some connection issues, I assume. I hit his stationary car twice. At the start itself, he just appeared stationary in front, there was audible contact. I braked and went in the gravel and let everyone past.
Later again around the finish straight, his car appeared in front of mine, and there was more contact. Saw his car jumping around, with ping around 1200.

Other than that, alone, and lapped. Very messy. Since I was away from everyone, tried right foot braking, and using the clutch. Failed :D

Congrats to the podium finishers, nice turnout, hope to see at least half of you next week :roflmao:

So... Here are my downfalls...

Q1: Done a decent qualifying lap (no nonsense this time, finally :D ). Result: P9

Race 1: My goal was the same as last time at Schottenring (or what was it called...) and that was NOT to spin on the first lap. Once again this plan failed miserably as I didn't even reach the exit of turn one. Luckily, I was not the only one (sorry for "luckily") so at the end of the first lap I was in P12. Then for most of the race I was chasing (no, desperately trying to hang on to) Knut and Rui, I think. Then Knut had a spin and I was up to 11th and closing on Rui. Then, I tried to have a shot at Rui in the fast right-handler before entering a short straight which was leading to to first chicane. Result of the attack: my spin count was now up to 1,5 :D. Dave also shot by while I was going back up to speed. I was now in P12, but then the chase began... With only a few laps to go I went pass both Dave and Rui, going up to 10th. But that was far from over... With something like one third of the lap to go my car started to choke from the lack of high octane juice. Thankfully, finish line was near enough. By the way, I was driving a NSU.
P.S. Sorry for the flashing late in the race, I was concentrating so hard on driving that I completely forgot the race distance:roflmao: . And Rui, the spin was completely my fault, you had nothing to do with it.

Q2: Missed the second chicane and my lap was disallowed, so I went to eat a cinnamon bun instead of watching the rest of the qualifying... Position 18th and last.

Race 2: In the first few laps I felt like a driving god. With all the stuff going on around me went from 18th to as high as 7th I believe :confused:. Then, a train started to form behind me. The first wagon was Dave. For some reason I didn't defend from him to much, so he
got along side. In my typical fashion I made a slight contact with him because I had to try to make the corner. Result: I got a premium seat in the litter box and lost two places. I was now in 9th. After that I was just cruising home (literally), until Warren (is it?) closed in. I couldn't fight him too much and he easily got passed. But once again with all the stuff happening ahead I got my 9th place back and stayed there to the line.

All in all: what a tasty bun and also what a grid, close to 20 drivers. Talking about the cars: NSU presented me with massive oversteer, Mini had massive understeer, but it was a good fun nevertheless. I also think that now it is a question of me taking more time to setup a car rather then getting used to the wheel (only my second club meeting with it).

Til' we meet again...

Rokas

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
I'm so sorry about my lagging guys, I had no idea it was happening. I'll try to see what's going on. I ran a few ping tests to servers in the UK and the ping was about 100ms. PLease let me know if you see it again during practice or Qualy and I'll sit it out. I don't like the idea of ruining races.

My reports:

Race1) It's a good day when you can complete a race in a Porsche on not spin. It's a GREAT day when you can win in a Porsche lol. I got a good launch and was able to get right to 2nd early because of it. Was following Bobby closely in his NSU for a while and then I managed to get by him, I was very surprised about that since Bob and Roland are 2 of the hardest guys to pass in this club. I think he just let me get by lol. Then I was trying my best to stay away from Thommo who was closing in fast. If it wasn't for his unfortunate offs I guarantee he would've passed me without any issues.

Race2) The 912 is such a lovely Porker. Very forgiving at the limits. Probably should have driven it second and taken the bitchy NSU out first lol. The 912 made me over confident and when I jumped in the NSU I got punished for it. I did fine during practice and qualy but during the race I pushed it just a bit too hard more than once and there was absolutely no mercy from the NSU. It rewarded me with complete spins every time I got cocky lol. I lost count how many times I spun it, maybe 4? Things started out looking pretty good too with Jacob, Roly, and I, running at the front at the start. But less than one full lap later Rolly goes off, I go left to avoid him and go for a leisurely drive in the sand lol. I then start from almost last and that's where I make the mistake of pushing it too hard and got bitten several times.

Grats To Jacob for the win:thumbsup:

Rokas Charlapavicius : Sorry about that right hander where I almost dive bombed you, I clamped the brakes and stayed to the inside to make sure I didn't pass you and gave you space. But I saw that you also hit the brakes probably in fear that I might hit you. Sorry about that.

Paul Bennett : Welcome aboard! Don't worry at all about lap times, just concentrate on keeping it on the track and having fun, the speed will come naturally with time and practice. And never forget, there's always someone faster than you. Knut, Thommo, Ross, Dmytro, Martin, and a bunch of other guys are always reminding me of this by wooping my behind :roflmao: . But so long as you have fun while getting wooped, it doesn't matter.

Warren Dawes

Premium
Great mornings fun again, and much nicer to be able sleep in an extra hour now, yay for DST finishing in Europe. :)

Nice selection of matching cars too, but each achieved it's times with different characteristics. The NSU looked to be a tad quicker, but based on the number of spins I saw, the nastiest handler. Since I was familiar with the Mini, I ignored it and went for the Porsche and the Lancia.

Race 1 in the Porsche was fun driving, although not as hectic with traffic. Normally I'm hopeless in a Porsche, but this one seemed very pleasant to drive. It didn't quite have the acceleration of the others, but it's sweet handling made up for it.
Once again, the first few laps of my replay was missing (don't know what is going on there, it happened in the League last week too :confused: ). The first 4 guys pulled away fairly quickly, but a few spills behind me left me a bit lonely for a while. Then Bram rapidly caught me, passed comfortably, then spun his NSU (in a cloud of smoke :p) letting me by again. A few laps later , Bram was in my mirrors again, but this time bringing a friend with him (Rupe in his NSU). As I was expecting them both to cruise past, another cloud of NSU smoke behind, and they disappeared. :D. Cruised it home to P5.

Race 2, Lancia. I really struggled to get any consistency with this car. I expected it to be similar to the Mini, but it was a whole new kettle of fish. The understeer was killing me, so I tried using some Rally driving techniques (LF Braking) to get the tail around. This helped a lot, but unfortunately, combined with the Lancia's rough braking habits, if I down-shifted too early, it REALLY threw the tail around. :rolleyes:.
Botched qualy, so started down the back. Lots of activity, lagging cars, paint swapping with a few others, made the first few laps very hectic. Surprisingly, I found myself up to P7 after two laps, and into an interesting and busy train behind Rupe. Then, I made a mistake trying to dodge Jack through the long turn 2 sweeper (we both used different lines), understeered off and started a session of fishtails, which I carried into the next right hander, eventually fishtailing into the wall. Back to P13 and all to do again.
This made for many fun laps, I must have had close racing with about half the field throughout the following laps. Had some scary moments under brakes (still learning to control the LFB stuff), twice trying to pass Knut into that last chicane, and once battling Carlos into the first chicane, sorry guys. :redface:.
I managed to climb to P6, but let Dave by, with a spin at the second last turn.

A good morning's entertainment, and great to see so many drivers in our humble GTL Club. :cool:
Thanks as usual to Stuart and Knut for their organisation.

Jack Smith

Premium
Please sir ...more.

Wow...it will be hard to top or even match this event. That was better than kissing some else's sister. As for my driving , I see on replay that I am a little less efficient on the braking for the sharp corners and I was cutting :( some more than I should so I need to improve on that still.

I choose the Mini for Race 1. Some great, close racing with many different people at the start and then things spread out somewhat as the event unfolded but I remember Roland's Porsche buzzing all around me at different times while trying hard to hold off Bram at the end.

Race 2. Decided to try the Lancia dressed up with a set up from Stu and it felt quite stable to drive.
Quallied 12th, found 10th after a few turns, then 9th and 8th because a couple drivers spinning off and at the second chicane I moved to 6th as more people developed trouble there. Ended up with a 5th. That is a testiment to the woes of others. I took the inside line on the first of the double sweeper there Warren and I did not want to dive in on the couple of cars ahead of me so I let up some to give them room and that caused you to change your line which led to your troubles. Sorry about that...tried to prevent causing a accident for the guys ahead.:( Again close racing with numerous drivers, all showing skill and sportsmanship. Battled Dave for many laps right to the end with a closing Warren not far behind.

Wd done podiums, specially to Peter. Thanks Knut for the well balanced event. Cheers to all drivers.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Now that was some sweet racing guys. Was a bit rusty here and there.

Spun in the race after a lovely fight with Warren Dawes and Rupe Wilson and still my engine. Didn't know which key I mapped to restart it so had to quickly escape the grid as the Mini Armada was approaching as a group :)

A lot of the time Bram, just pressing the clutch and/or dropping into neutral will allow the GTL cars to restart.

This made for many fun laps, I must have had close racing with about half the field throughout the following laps. Had some scary moments under brakes (still learning to control the LFB stuff), twice trying to pass Knut into that last chicane, and once battling Carlos into the first chicane, sorry guys. :redface:.

Good job with the overtaking Warren:thumbsup: It didn't look easy with all the the twitching going on in the Lancia, especially the 2nd time! Good fun watching it from the very stable 912!

I had a lot of fun at the races, 'im not very used to gt legends since i've only bougth it a couple of months back and i hadn't played it a lot because i had another events on other sims. I had only did a club race on gt legend before this one nad wasn't expecting to be as fast as i was, i was able to keep in the middle of the pack and had a lot of fun in both races.

R1: I had a good start, at turn 1 there were some cars spinning but i was able to avoid them and i gained some position, for some laps i was really close to the car in front of me and i almost passed him but later in the race i started to fall back, some time later i was being chased by Rokas and he tried to pass me but he spun, i didn't knew if it was my fault or not, i hadn't felt any contact but i could have taped him accidentaly, for the rest of the race i was following Rokas and i was trying to get my position back, but he was too fast for me and i finished behind him :D

R2: I had a great qualy session i couldn't believe my time when i saw it, had a good start, i was able to keep up with the front pack and some time after i was running 4th following closely 3rd but on lap 4 (i think) i went wide in the rigth-hander before the first chicane and i lost several position (rejoined in 8th place), from this point on i was always losing positions, although i had a lot of fun battling to resist being overtaken, i ended the race in 9th or 10th.

Had a great time on both races, i will defenetively race in this club much more regurarly, thank you for both races, see you guys next event :)

Simon Bacon

Premium
Enjoyable evening again. Thank you to all who participated:thumbsup:

Loved the Lancia in Race 1, set the back up really solid and the front quite soft to counter some of the natural understeer, wasn't the fastest way to drive it but felt really quite grinsome:D
Actually all I remember is looking in the virtual mirror and seeing a lot of tyre smoke on exiting the corners, got the hang of applying a bit of gentle persuasion out of the corners and ended up wishing the race didn't have to end. Oh, and jumped the start so pitted for the S/G at the end of Lap 1. Still, bloody brilliant few minutes afterwards.

Race2 I admit I bottled on my selection. Practiced a few times in 912 and loved it, but on the night....as Senad commented - couldn't feel anything from it FFB wise:( Maybe a bit of Lancia FWD overload but I plumped for the Mini. Smashing car, good battles up and down the field, post first lap carnage which the Mini weaved through like some mad Austrian slaloming type mentalist you used to see on Ski Sunday - overall a very enjoyable experience.

Weird this GTL thing, as addictive as nicotine but a million times healthier:inlove:

Ta very much.

Great racing night, again. And a great crowd too!:thumbsup:

Since my previous attempt at driving the 912 was not quite successful, I decided to have another go. And for some reason I cannot resist the vintage dutch police car skin.. It's still a mystery to me how they ever managed to catch a single bad guy in THAT... it has got to be the slowest Porsche ever!:sleep:
It is a 4-speed, and lack of prep made me mess up the gearing me thinks, as even Jack's sister in her Mini made me eat her dust going down every straight.
I still had good fun with it, kept it going straight almost all of the time, and managed to stay in the midfield for most of the race, having some interesting battles along the way. And with Carlos winning R1 in a similar car I can only blame it on the driver :roflmao:

For Race 2, NSU was up. Been here in this car before, and IIRC, like in the Porker, my performance was far from stellar. So, some room for improvement!:)
And there was, as I managed to do what I think was my most perfect Qualy lap ever, which got me 2nd, just behind Jacob's Mini.:confused: An overeager start made me spin in lap 1 (Sorry Carlos for scaring you..) and I had to wait for the whole field to pass.. Got back up to 10th at some point, when some more mistakes dropped me back to the back of the field again. Still, I've come to like the little bathtub quite a lot more than a few weeks ago before Killarney...

All in all I had two very entertaining races with plenty of racing action!
Grats to Carlos and Jacob for the wins, and to Peter and the other podium finishers!
Thanks Stuart for another good fun event, and to all of the crowd for racing! :thumbsup:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.3%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • €3001-5000