TC65 - Alfa vs Cortina @ Blue Mountain - Tue 22nd May

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Alfa GTA / Lotus Cortina (Defaults)
Track: Blue Mountain (Download)

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 (13 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.20 (13 laps)

Note1: Default Skins Only ( Default list ).
Note2: The car you will drive in Race 1 will be listed next to your name in the entry list below. Please make sure you know what car you are driving in Race 1. For Race 2 you switch to the other car.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson - Cortina
  2. Peter van Zanten - GTA
  3. Senad Subasic - Cortina
  4. Knut Omdal Tveito - GTA
  5. Rupe Wilson - Cortina
  6. Tim Ling - GTA
  7. Paul M Jones - Cortina
  8. Hans Sneep - GTA
  9. Roland Warmenhoven - Cortina
  10. Andreas Scholz - GTA
  11. Jack Smith - Cortina
  12. David Cuthill - GTA
  13. Eck Simpson - Cortina
  14. Carlos Diaz - GTA
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver

Lost the wheel in race 1. 5 minutes to get to the pits and do the repairs.
Later another big off, tried to reverse back to the track, but lappers were coming from behind, so escaped not to cause an incident.

Race 2, Tim had nice air time, and landed just in place for a nice head on collision. If we had planned it, we wouldn't be able to do it that precisely, LOL.
Sorry for the long wait, people behind, so I was careful (i.e. slow) to get back on track. Didn't even expect you to wait; was my fault at least as much as yours. I couldn't find my keyboard to type 'go', so carried on :p

Another big crash, and I landed on the other side of the fence. Tried to find a way out for two laps, but failed.

Not a fan of the track.

Good luck to the guys still racing.

Race 1 was nice. Had a healthy battle with an old buddy who came out the victor (Thommo),

Race 2 was shaping up to be nice too. Coming into one of the right handers, I didn't see Eck coming to pass on the inside and I closed him off unknowingly, which resulted in a racing incident that cost us both a few places. Eck waited like the gent he is and we were on our way again. About a lap later I come up to Peter, and in one of those fast uphill left handers, we are both pretty close together. But he is in front so I back off to the left of the road trying to let him have the racing line. I imagine he didn't see me there and slowly continued to veer off to the left until his left rear quarter touched my right fender. Unfortunately, at the speeds we were going, it turned out to be a big mess. Poor guy flew off the side of the mountain. I waited by the side of the road to see if there was anyway he could make it back up, but it was hopeless. Even though it wasn't entirely my fault, I still quit as soon as he did. Just didn't feel right to go on.

:roflmao: Thats racing Carlos, next time better for me and you.
I whase going to the left side because to let you no that the chicane is left right so you can not pas aderwise there whase a big crach than.
But I whase thingking that ther whase more distans between us.
So also myn fold.
Sie you next time Carlose than more luck for us.
Sleep well:sneaky: sorry for my engels

Great fun tonight. I loved the track, especially with the Alfa.

Had a quiet Race 1 but loved every second of the driving. Had some good fun in second race and really enjoyed the racing with Roland and David. But I made a really stupid mistake in turn 1 though. I was sneaking up on the inside of Roland and while I was watching his car I actually hit the inside barrier which sent my car straight into Rolands car. Sorry about that stupid moment Roland! Suddenly there were now several cars around and it took a little while to regain a rhythm. Was eventually able to pass Roland after some fun laps. Then David made a little mistake which gave me 1st.

Thanks Stu for another cracker and thanks to all of you that showed up.

2 races to many crashes... not a good night for me..:(
Loved the cars and well the track was great fun and you paid a heavy price if you made a mistake....
Or in Jacks case minding your own business only to have a out of control car land on track right in front of you...( so sorry Jack...:()
race1 first lap S'es
i also collected another person in the next few bumps ... all my fault ..so sorry to all involved.:(
suspension failure and that was it first race over within 5 corners... not a good start....:cry:
Race 2 got off to a better start and soon settled into my rhythm... and then i took a nice wide sweep into the corner and just rubbed the number plate on the front of Stuart car ( we was very close) it didn't seem that close from my rear view mirror .. Sorry Stuart... i then got stuck in the gutter and slowly made it back to track..And there was Stuart waiting for me up the road ... ( a true gent:thumbsup:) ...
After that i wanted to race, but tried to just go a little slower but my confidence was inbits ,, i had to many little moments .. But with 3 laps to go once again Stuart appeared in my view..He had slowed to have a little 3 lap race with me to the finish...
This time i didn't want to mess up and also to show to myself i can do it.... nice little 3 lapps...we could of had a nice little battle if id hadn't of lost it......
Once again nice racing with you guys ( sorry for my lack of talent at certain times...)
Congrats to the podium guys and all who finished ..
See you all next time..:D

Last night's track was a bit of a change from the norm for these cars.

We normally shoehorn the TC65's (quite reasonably) onto fairly twisty tracks, so I thought that we should let them loose on a more flatout sort of track, albeit one where their innate handling would come in handy during certain sections.

Partial success, I guess, in that the racing was good when you were close to someone, great at times as Carlos & I, and Rupe & I can testify, but if you were on your own, it could get a bit lonely. The track didn't really allow much in the way of opportunities to catch up unless someone lost it - and on here that normally meant they were upside down, behind a tree, and on fire.

Race 2 was shaping up to be nice too. Coming into one of the right handers, I didn't see Eck coming to pass on the inside and I closed him off unknowingly, which resulted in a racing incident that cost us both a few places. Eck waited like the gent he is and we were on our way again.

I think at best (from my point of view) you could call it 50/50.. If I'm honest, it was more (100%) my fault...:redface: I think I needed to do more than wait... Sorry sir.

Anyhoo, great combo. I'll always prefer the Cortina but I have to admit, there isn't a bad car in GTL. Thanks Stu, my fellow competitors, and RD.

Now, where's that Cougar...

I has a less than stellar return to GTL

Race 1 had me 6th on the grid, and I was then promoted to 4th after an accident ahead. All good so far. Lap 2, going into the 180 at the end of the lap and I locked my brakes and span into the inside barrier...where I got stuck for over a lap. Coning throughfinal corner 2 laps after this, I clipped the inside corner which sent me up on 2 wheels, then found a rock in the track which flipped me over (and over etc.) where by I landed in the stands.

Race 2, as described by Senad, we had a head on collision. This wrecked my left front suspension, and made every touch of the brakes become a sharp left turn. After this happened at the first slow right hander, I saw the leaders heading my way at speed, so the escape key was the necessary exit.

As expected opinions vary about this event, but to me it was a great one. Cortina's and Alfa's usually make a good set, but here their differences really surfaced:thumbsup:

I was late, too late, and my apologies to anyone who was affected by my first joining during Q1:redface: .
Cold into the Cortina, I could do no better than 12th on the grid, but a good start and several L1 incidents got me from 12th to 9th, back to 12th, up to 7th within a single lap.
Was following Stuart with David behind me closing in. After some 4 laps, I had a spin in the 180° costing me one place, when I came back on track apparently Peter, who had an excellent race until then:thumbsup: was distracted by my still going a bit slow causing him to crash - Sorry mate :(, there was plenty of room though...
Then had Jack on my tail but managed to slowly pull away into a void with noone around which as Stuart mentioned got a bit lonely until finish.

Q2, in the Alfa, now there's a different story. Managed 3rd on the grid ! I just LOVE his car!:inlove:

Race 2 then, to me was nothing short of A-W-E-S-O-M-E-!!! Managed to outrun both Knut and David towards turn 1, so went down the hill leading the race!!
Up the big hill though, the weakness of the Alfa (or maybe just an Alfa driven by me :laugh: ) became clear as David in his yellow Cortina came flying by. Two cars wide we went through the 180° and the fast Esses without issue but the parts of the track where I was faster were too twisty to try anything, so with Knut right on my tail I was following David around.

A few laps into the race me and Knut had a little contact, but after another incident that also affected Peter who -again:thumbsup: - had a great few opening laps, it was me and Knut hunting David again.
Absolute awesome racing going on at the front, until David ran into some bad luck and me and Knut both passed him. Later on Knut slightly pulled away and I had some awesome close racing with David until an overeager braking attempt spun me in the final lap..

This was an absolutely epic race for me that I'll remember for quite a while!
Two not too powerful cars that make me feel like I'm in control all the time, and then going round a track like this at full speed, just inches away from other drivers who you can trust 100% will not do anything unpredictable. To me it just felt like the ultimate racing! Thanks guys, I absolutely loved it!

Grats to both podiums, and thanks to Stuart and all fellow racers!! CYA soon!

:sleep: was distracted by my still going a bit slow, yes Roland you whose to slow on that part of the track.
But you do not have the race pace at that moment but you whase on the race line and ther is 1 wy to thake that last chican.
You whase in gear 2 to and I in full 4 ready for gear 5 it whase you are me.
I hope you head sie me in the mirror but no wy, next time pleas go to left ore right but not on the race line.
next time more luck , thats racing.
:roflmao: see you tomorrow guys.

I like both cars and track but prefer the lotus over all.

Great Stuff as always. Watching replay of Race 1. What a close encounter by all at the start. Wow... wall to wall cars and everyone trying to advance without causing accidents, but some were not so lucky. No problem Rupe ...that's racing ...just an incident. Shortly after I had a great experience driving approaching the final straight to finish line when Senad made spectacular multi midair flips and I squeezed through ...just like in the movies. Managed to get by Peter and Paul and settled in behind Mary, I mean merry Roland. I chased him for 2/3 of the race but I was weak at the last sharp downhill right hander and edged the green several times around and Roland slowly edged away, but all the time David was closing fast on me. I just managed to stay a head of him at the end. For me it was a great driving/race experience.

Race 2. Another crowded start but managed ok until the first sharp downhill right hander where I guess/think both I and Hans had to break harder than we had planned and lost it altogether but we soon continued without much damage. I chased Hans having a great time and we passed different people having offs or close encounters of the car kind. Then I had to break more than expected so as not to hit Hans from behind ... coming into a tight corner and off I went. It took a lot of effort to get back on track again. Pressing to catch up I flew over the fence and had to drive about a half mile or more to get on track again. No time to feel sorry for my self because others had crashed out. I manage to go from 12 th to 9th. In relpay I see Senad had the same over the fence experience as me but he was unable to return so I gained 8th position to the end.

Great choice Stu. Grats podiums, cheers to all drivers.

So,second race evening in cockpit few after Donington, fiddle a bit with the seat, up-down-back an fore,must say slowly starting to get used to it !

Race 1 Alfa, Q on last place way of the pace (1.30..) did not understand this big gap,must be feeeerry slow in the corners, in race I promised my self to take it easy avoiding some scraps put me on p10,in the last laps of the race was past by Stu on the long straits blasting by,so not only slow in the corners but even on the straits ? !!.

Race 2 Lotus, see Part 2

Part 2, Messed up Q ( not that it make any diff...)an start from P13 went ok until the first slow right hander Jack an I have to brake an avoid some cars hit one but we could continue having a few good laps together, I understand why I lose Jack (sorry ) but after another lap did not go well trough the last corner combo before the strait ,to wide an hit the right fence tumble over it an find no escape route so end of race!

Watch the race from the pit, saw Jack behind the fence looking fore a way out an he finely found one ! Nice fights fore the lead!! an than saw Senad behind the fence desperately looking for a way out,saw him passing 2 possibilities an had the tendency to knock on my monitor to point him the right direction LOL not for Senad of course:confused:

Thanks Stuart, Grats podiums an thanks to all who where there ! (nice field !)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back