TC-65: Toyota Corolla vs Lancia Fulvia @ Birmingham USA - Tue 14th May 2013

]
flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: TC65 Toyota Corolla (Download) vs Lancia Fulva 1600 ( Download )
Track: Birmingham Barber GP 3.7km (Download) Barber GP 3.7km

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 13 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.20 ( 13 laps)

Note 1: Skins that come with the Mods Only
Note 2: Race 1 you will use the first car next to your name and for Race 2 the other car
Note 3: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 4 : We run a superpole qually, you get one chance only at a outlap and qually lap. Take it easy on your outlap and get you car in a good position to run you qually lap, leave enough room to allow for the unexpected from the car infront
you don't get another go if you have to take avoiding action..
Note 5: Racing Room must be given to all driversand this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved the overlap fairly.
The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times..

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Rupe Wilson - Corolla / Fulvia
  2. Tim ling - Fulvia /Corolla
  3. Antonio Tavares - Corolla #76 / Fulvia #991
  4. Warren Schembri - Fulvia /Corolla
  5. Sakis Politis - Corolla / Fulvia
  6. Roland Warmenhoven - Fulvia /Corolla
  7. Yves Larose - Corolla / Fulvia
  8. Hiroshi Awazu - Fulvia /Corolla
  9. Hans Sneep - Corolla / Fulvia
  10. Steven Walker - Fulvia /Corolla
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

As for the cars I found out that they need a very different approach when setting up (and driving) due to their different behavior. The Fulvia was severely understeering at all times but feel a lot more comfortable and score times about 1.5 secs faster than the Corolla.

Yes, the Fulvia is a FWD and I also find these cars difficult to drive. I'm curious about the times difference you mentioned, because despite only having one night practice with the 2 cars, I seem to recall that I made around the same time on both. Is me me that I'm slow with the Lancia (probably.... :whistling:) or you that are slower with the Toyota? It would ould be nice to get together on the track to see how things are going. I'll try to be there tonight. ;)

i have a question, the Lancia goes in which class when i extract the rar file ?
It goes in the TC-65 class. ;)
Yes, the Fulvia is a FWD and I also find these cars difficult to drive. I'm curious about the times difference you mentioned, because despite only having one night practice with the 2 cars, I seem to recall that I made around the same time on both. Is me me that I'm slow with the Lancia (probably.... :whistling:) or you that are slower with the Toyota? It would ould be nice to get together on the track to see how things are going. I'll try to be there tonight. ;)
Managed to close the ''gap'' to 1 sec but still I'm faster in the Lancia. Maybe I'm afraid to push too hard the Toyota...:x3:
I will be glad to see you on track for some practice!

The Toyota is a tricky car to drive I find. It's a very "floaty" car, very responsive, but ready to spin out if you're not careful.
Knut's setup here http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/tc65-toyota-corolla-setups.9189/#post-1433335 makes it far more drivable, but you still need to be 100% alert
I managed to tame it quite successfully and achieve decent lap times but it is exactly as you describe, ready to ''bite''! :D
I will try Knut's setup too, thanks!

Sakis Politis
In this folder <drive>:\GTL\UserData\<USER NAME>\Settings you'll find folders named after all the tracks.
I think the one you want is Birmingham_Long. In that folder you'll find you setups with the name you gave it plus a .svm extension (e.g. setupname.svm)
\you can attach that to a post in the setup section here-http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/gtl-setups.66/
Just choose the correct car, add a new post and use the "attach file" option :thumbsup:

News from the front ( :) ) : Me and Antonio had a practice session together, testing the Toyota Corolla tonight. It was a fruitful experience as we did twice or triple the laps of the upcoming race keeping a fast and consistent pace as well as keeping very close distance throughout the laps until our fuel tanks were depleted (twice...)
The race will definitely be very interesting! ;)

Bonus information: I was very happy and proud with my individual gear setup until Antonio informed me that it is impossible in this car...:O_o: I could swear I remember tweaking them... I guess I'm too young to have memory issues....:D:roflmao:

Hi Sakis,

Sharing and discussing setups is allowed and appreciated but lets refrain from posting times. The reason is there are new drivers and probably more to come and if they see a time and they are practicing on their own and not getting anywhere near the time posted it could possibly discourage them from joining races. It's been known to happen.

Club Racing is just all about having fun :thumbsup:

Hi Sakis,

Sharing and discussing setups is allowed and appreciated but lets refrain from posting times. The reason is there are new drivers and probably more to come and if they see a time and they are practicing on their own and not getting anywhere near the time posted it could possibly discourage them from joining races. It's been know to happen.

Club Racing is just all about having fun :thumbsup:
I'm really sorry you are absolutely right, already edited my post. Never going to happen again.

So nice to see new faces in the club:thumbsup: And very active members too:)

Like Hiroshi said, the laptimes is not something we discuss. But setups, driving tips etc. is very welcome!

One thing I remember from driving the Corolla is that the car is very under-damped by default. I think it might come from the rally background. As the suspension moves around alot, it creates some poor camber angles and roll centres which results in both understeer and oversteer. This is not easy to cure with anti-roll bars. But if you stiffen up the dampers both front and rear it keeps the suspension movement under control, dampens out oscillations and makes a big difference. And after you get the dampers right, you can actually reduce the front anti-roll bar to make it more neutral (but still stable).

One thing I remember from driving the Corolla is that the car is very under-damped by default. I think it might come from the rally background. As the suspension moves around alot, it creates some poor camber angles and roll centres which results in both understeer and oversteer. This is not easy to cure with anti-roll bars. But if you stiffen up the dampers both front and rear it keeps the suspension movement under control, dampens out oscillations and makes a big difference. And after you get the dampers right, you can actually reduce the front anti-roll bar to make it more neutral (but still stable).

Hi Knut,

Do you recommend just stiffening the dampers (shock absorbers), or also the springs? I seem to recall that the default setup has the springs on minimum values, but, unlike other cars in this class, there are 3 stiffer values for each set of springs (front and rear).

I think my setup has springs front and rear one click stiffer, and I have the dampers at 2 bump and 3 rebound on both axles (I always use a higher value in rebound, around 25 to 50% more than bump).

I would attack the dampers first. Generally the dampers and anti-roll bars make a much larger impact than the springs in my experience. After the dampers are nice and firm, I would look for excessive movement under braking and acceleration. If the car is still pitching (front suspension diving and rear suspension lifting) alot during braking I would try stiffer springs, but I wouldn't expect much change. On this track it's nice to have a bit of softness in the tricky braking zones too.

One thing to keep in mind is that the springs and dampers work as a couple. If increase the spring stiffness you should also increase the dampers to maintain body control. As a rule of thumb, if you increase the spring by 20% you should increase the damper by 10% if you want to keep the same damping characteristics.

Sorry but I'm going to have to pull out of this event.
While practicing on Saturday, my wheel started playing up and plays as if it has a mind of its own (the down paddle shifter works only when it wants to). Have been trying to play with the keyboard but am much slower with it.

On the bright side, good excuse to get a T500RS or Fanatec wheel ;)
Please PM if you have any tips/suggetions

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing