AC Tatuus FA01 @ Black Cat County Short - Tue 03Oct17

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Time for something different:
We opened the setup step after step since the beginning of this series but over the last weeks we lost more and more drivers to bad setups. Be it limited time, limited motivation or anything else. For other drivers it got boring because I didn't open up anything in the last weeks.

So from now on the server will provide a fixed setup that is fast and competitive but always more on the safe side than for the pole position!
At the same time the suspension is now open to play with. The default is pretty good but for absolute fine tuning you will need to adjust a few things.

As always I will upload my personal race setup before the event starts so you all can just put that in and be safe and fast.

For personal preference of oversteer or understeer:
- more understeering: stiffer front, softer rear
- more oversteering: softer front, stiffer rear
Beware: the softer the car, the more traction you will have but the more you lose reaction time from the car!

PS: My setup for the race is already uploaded to the first post of this thread :)

Done a quick handful of laps, very fun track to drive. I do get a little lost with how much road I'm able to use, and I can already see the accidents at T1 because that corner is nasty and unsighted. :D

Done a quick handful of laps, very fun track to drive. I do get a little lost with how much road I'm able to use, and I can already see the accidents at T1 because that corner is nasty and unsighted. :D
Those first couple of turns are tricky enough to nail on your own, let alone accompanied by an angry battle pack! The rest should be a hoot though if we can get through there in one piece (i.e. single file! :p)

I might have to skip this race, stuck dealing with an issue for work. Also I have a headache, again. Didn't get a good nights sleep last night

Edit: It's probably best that I skip this one :(.

@RasmusP no idea how you're getting that line at T1. If I even think about turning and braking, the rear wants to come around. I can only slow this thing down in straight lines, no idea how anyone is getting it balanced enough to turn on the brakes at speed.

After so many races, it's actually making me quite angry with myself that I can't do something so simple.

@RasmusP no idea how you're getting that line at T1. If I even think about turning and braking, the rear wants to come around. I can only slow this thing down in straight lines, no idea how anyone is getting it balanced enough to turn on the brakes at speed.

After so many races, it's actually making me quite angry with myself that I can't do something so simple.
We are only a bunch of drivers tonight, so we have an hour to cruise together :)
Did you try my setup from the OP? The soft rear springs and the soft front damper are really helping over the bumps!
But yes, it's a ride on a cannonball! :p
Important is to lift the brake the further you dive down the right hander. Then comes a tiny bump where the brake must be lifted. After the bump put the wheel straight, brake hard to lose speed and dive through the first half of the turn.
Then put the throttle down a tiny bit and roll through the "chicane", wait until the last bump is over and pin down full throttle :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I probably shouldn't sign up for races on tracks I don't know at all, especially when I don't manage to get any practice beforehand. My jaw kinda dropped when I loaded up the track today for the first time. This is definitely not a track where you can just wing it (especially if you're me). So yeah... I was kinda familiar with the full Black Cat County, but didn't know the short one and didn't realize even the "short" one is still over 6 km long series of hairpins and weird corners...

So that's in part why I was so awful when you were watching me, @RasmusP, especially with the added pressure or knowing someone is watching my driving at the moment, as much as I appreciate (and definitely welcome) the advice ;) Though I have to say that often, I am very much aware myself of what I've done wrong and how to improve it, it's just being able to realize it in time the next lap and act upon it, and then do it consistently that's usually the problem :)

Thankfully, due to the low attendance, I wasn't really getting in anyone's way I think. And by the end of the second race, I felt much more comfortable with the track and I've knocked my PB down by several seconds, so that was nice.

And as for the setup question (I'm sorry, I still much prefer writing over talking, but I do try to respond in at least a few words here and there), then what I usually do is I load up the default setup or some kind of baseline from a previous race I felt comfortable with and then I try to apply my somewhat limited knowledge to hopefully make the car feel better, faster and more stable on the current track. Which mostly means setting up tyre pressures, brakes (I often prefer more of a rear bias than others seem to), wing and ARB, then occassionally also springs and gear ratios if I feel like it's worth it. I usually only touch springs in regards of the general car handling (as in oversteer/understeer), not based on the track surface. And with wing, I usually try to go as low as I feel comfortable with while keeping it somewhat balanced, and then in the end I often raise the wing back a click or two just to feel more comfortable with the car during the race. And in general, I tend to go for something that feels more stable as opposed to something that's faster.

Alternatively, I do the same, but instead of default setup or my previous setup I use setup someone else provided, but I tend to have mixed results with setups other people made for themselves. Though tonight's setup was an exception, it felt very good (except I moved the brake bias a bit towards the rear during R1).

And if there was one thing I'd like to have unlocked in the Tatuus setup compared to what is currently available, it'd be wing. But it's obviously not happening.

Then again I'm still pretty slow, so I guess messing with the setup is not really what I should be focusing on anyway ;)

(Sorry for the wall of text.)

Yeah, I probably shouldn't sign up for races on tracks I don't know at all, especially when I don't manage to get any practice beforehand. My jaw kinda dropped when I loaded up the track today for the first time. This is definitely not a track where you can just wing it (especially if you're me). So yeah... I was kinda familiar with the full Black Cat County, but didn't know the short one and didn't realize even the "short" one is still over 6 km long series of hairpins and weird corners...

So that's in part why I was so awful when you were watching me, @RasmusP, especially with the added pressure or knowing someone is watching my driving at the moment, as much as I appreciate (and definitely welcome) the advice ;) Though I have to say that often, I am very much aware myself of what I've done wrong and how to improve it, it's just being able to realize it in time the next lap and act upon it, and then do it consistently that's usually the problem :)

Thankfully, due to the low attendance, I wasn't really getting in anyone's way I think. And by the end of the second race, I felt much more comfortable with the track and I've knocked my PB down by several seconds, so that was nice.

And as for the setup question (I'm sorry, I still much prefer writing over talking, but I do try to respond in at least a few words here and there), then what I usually do is I load up the default setup or some kind of baseline from a previous race I felt comfortable with and then I try to apply my somewhat limited knowledge to hopefully make the car feel better, faster and more stable on the current track. Which mostly means setting up tyre pressures, brakes (I often prefer more of a rear bias than others seem to), wing and ARB, then occassionally also springs and gear ratios if I feel like it's worth it. I usually only touch springs in regards of the general car handling (as in oversteer/understeer), not based on the track surface. And with wing, I usually try to go as low as I feel comfortable with while keeping it somewhat balanced, and then in the end I often raise the wing back a click or two just to feel more comfortable with the car during the race. And in general, I tend to go for something that feels more stable as opposed to something that's faster.

Alternatively, I do the same, but instead of default setup or my previous setup I use setup someone else provided, but I tend to have mixed results with setups other people made for themselves. Though tonight's setup was an exception, it felt very good (except I moved the brake bias a bit towards the rear during R1).

And if there was one thing I'd like to have unlocked in the Tatuus setup compared to what is currently available, it'd be wing. But it's obviously not happening.

Then again I'm still pretty slow, so I guess messing with the setup is not really what I should be focusing on anyway ;)

(Sorry for the wall of text.)
Wall of text is always welcome :)
I didn't mean to pressure you, just wanted to give you the gears etc. like a little turbo on your "I'm very aware of what I'm doing wrong"-Path. Only watched 1-2 laps cause I know it's a bit strange if someone is watching over your shoulder and as you said, most of the time one is very aware of what SHOULD be done.
But actually doing it is another thing and only practice on our own gets us good results regarding tis :)

The wings are a difficult thing with aero cars it seems.
Just tested Silverstone and it's not only about "as low as you can handle" but really just about "what's the fastest way around and if you get more than one setup: which is the easiest to drive".

So Silverstone will be pretty high wing too. You lose about 0.3s on the straights but gain 0.4s in the turns.
Also I could do 10 laps all in between 3 tenth with high aero whereas I could only do 1 out of 10 really fast laps with mid-aero!

Since we are going for a fixed setup again for a few weeks, top-speed vs corner-speed doesn't matter for us in regards of overtaking ability.
My personal setup for the suspension will need a bit of testing though, couldn't come up with something better than default yet!

Server is already online, I hope you like the setup :)
It's nice that the lap is only slightly above 1 minute so you can test 10 laps in 10 minutes :confused::geek:

Just tested Silverstone and it's not only about "as low as you can handle" but really just about "what's the fastest way around and if you get more than one setup: which is the easiest to drive".

Poor choice of words on my part trying to keep my post as short as possible (yeah, like it helped...). Sorry. Obviously "as low as you can handle" is not a universal rule for every situation.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back