1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

EU Tatuus F4 @ Chang D Circuit - Tuesday 18th October 2016

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Kenny Paton, Oct 9, 2016.

Added to Calendar: 18-10-16
  1. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

chang-international-circuit-4252-image-full.jpg
    We're off to the far east this week visiting one of the newest circuits on any calendar.
    First the open wheelers with F4 around the shorter D circuit.

All premium members can sign up for this event and we have unlimited slots available so make sure to bring a friend. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge!

Join us
    Not a premium member yet but interested to race with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate as well. See you on track?!

Server and Teamspeak Password: click here
    Racing Club Rules: click here

Server Name: RaceDepartment.com
    Cars:
    Tatuus F4
    Track: Chang D Circuit

Race 1:
    Practice: 17:30 GMT 18:30 BST (30 minutes)
    Qualifying: 18:00 GMT 19:00 BST (10 minutes)
    Race: 18:10 GMT 19:10 BST (15 minutes)
    Race 2:
    Qualifying 2: 18:25 GMT 19:25 BST (10 minutes)
    Race 2: 18:35 GMT 19:35 BST (15 minutes)

Entry List
    1. Kenny Paton
    2. motoxy
    3. Dennis Phelan
    4. Zetoyoc
    5. Lars Hansen
    6. NicuTapa
    7. Jazz Forsberg
    8. kamackeris
    9. Stnry?
    10. Andy Jackson??
    11. Nux
    12. Mike davies
    13. kedy89
    14. Free slot
    15. Free slot
    16. Free slot
    17. Free slot
    18. Free slot
    19. Free slot
    20. Free slot
    21. Free slot
    22. Free slot
    23. Free slot
    24. Free slot

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

3. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

4. motoxy

motoxy
    Premium Member

Seeing how as you will be racing how can i refuse your kind invitation.:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

I'll call myself in on this one. I hope I can keep it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zetoyoc

Zetoyoc
    Premium Member

Ill play :) I should have time on monday to figure out which way round the track to go.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NicuTapa

NicuTapa
    Premium Member

Hello guys,
    I'm in but i need a little help. I am a beginner in racing. I come from world of plane simulator where i have plus 3000 hours online. In racing with you, i feel like i'm safety car, not player. Yesterday in Potimao Circuit i have 15 sec difference in qualification from fisrt place with the same car :(. I understand, in racing the difference is mean 3 things : car setup, experience and practice. For tomorrow you will kindly give me a acceptable target time for this track ? Eventually car setup ? ;)
    Thank you and i wish you a great week

P.S. : Any advice is welcome

8. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Sponsored by BRUT Premium Member

Hi Nicolas,
    At first we are all very slow at online racing. Don't worry about it. Its just a case of getting used to it and a little practice. We don't discuss lap times in the race club forums, as very fast lap times being posted by the aliens fast guys can and do put people off.
    As for set ups, I don't bother changing anything except fuel levels and sometimes the gearing and rear wing. Anything else and I just make things worse but by all means experiment yourself. The standard setups will allow you to mix it with the mid pack and rear pack ok. Just get used to it a bit more. The main thing is race clean and fair and follow the club rules. Two wheels always on track, if you knock someone off, stop and give the place back etc etc. You will get the hang of it soon.
    All the best
    Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NicuTapa

NicuTapa
    Premium Member

Thank you Andy. I have one more question : manual gear or auto ? I speak in general for racing

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    RDs Ion-Engine....0-60 in six days. Staff Premium Member

Manual, with auto-clutch is the preferred option for most.
    Auto-gearing never really hits the correct gear, and straight manual gearing with heel'n'toe is a little too complicated for the general public (myself included).

Actually, the three most important things are: Practice, practice and practice. :)
    I'm not trying to be funny, I'm quite serious.
    You will be amazed at the progress you can make by simply doing things over and over and over again.
    The leaderboards are a good way to figure out a track.
    Set a time, then pick someone who is roughly a second faster than you, and watch what he does differently.

A couple of very basic rules:
    1. Don't enter a turn too fast. It is far better to brake a bit sooner and get through the turn properly, than it is having to brake and correct mid-turn. Being as late as possible on the brakes doesn't necessarily make you any faster.
    Or in other words, nobody cares how fast you are going INTO a turn. The trick lies in how fast you are going OUT of it.
    2. Never, ever stay in the middle of the track. You have absolutely no business there unless you're trying to pass someone. If you have a left-hander coming, stay on the right, and vice-versa.
    The more room you give yourself between the car and the apex, the shallower the angle you have to turn.
    The shallower the angle, the faster you can get through it.

That aside, all things take time.
    You didn't start out in the PMDG 738 either, did you? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. NicuTapa

NicuTapa
    Premium Member

You are so right LARS. Until PMDG, this was a long, long way...

12. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

Part of the reason you felt that way is that I wasn't racing, once you see how slow I am all your worries will melt away:).
    Seriously, both @Andy Jackson and @Lars Hansen have given good advice and you can find setups and videos from Mr C here.
    There will also be a driving academy for R3E coming up, with @Bram instructing and that is well worth getting your name down for.
    You will also find help during practice on teamspeak from other racers, we are a friendly bunch and are happy to help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Sponsored by BRUT Premium Member

As Lars as said, Manual is preferred. But auto can be used. I also race in the Automobilista Race Club and they allow me to use auto gears if I want to. Because sometimes I need to. I suffer big time from arthritis in my fingers on occasion and just changing gears with my paddles becomes painful after a while so then I use auto gears. Use whichever you are comfortable with providing the server is allowing it's use.
    Do use left foot braking? I do and I find it more natural for sim racing.

As Kenny as mentioned the Race Academy, that is all you will need besides just getting used to it and practicing. Not many of us do loads of practice though. For instance, I had never raced at Portimao until a race last week with the superb free silhouette cars (@Kenny Paton take note, use these more;)) . And I struggled in first practice being 5-8 seconds slower than the other guys, but by the start of the race I was comfortable and I ended up with 2 podium places. (But that's because the very fast guys did not attend;)).
    Some of the usual rear echelon race club members were not present yesterday so you missed the opportunity to mix it with them, but they are there for most. Hope to see you on track again soon.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. NicuTapa

NicuTapa
    Premium Member

Thank you all for your support. I'm so glad to find a great community...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

Try the leaderboards!
    The default settings for the cars in this sim are fantastic!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. NicuTapa

NicuTapa
    Premium Member

Thank you Denis. I find the target :geek:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  17. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg
    2nd hand driver Premium Member

Sing me in please Kenny :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. motoxy

motoxy
    Premium Member

Hey nick
    Do not worry about speed. Check out the leader boards for becoming familiar with the tracks and ckeck out others lines.
    While your still at the back I will keep you company. Until you move on up and leave me behind. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. Zetoyoc

Zetoyoc
    Premium Member

ok wow . i am liking this combo. if i can just keep my wits about me now it might be a good race :)

@NicuTapa I am free nearly all day today (pacific us time zone) and would be happy to setup a practice server and get on team speak to help or just have some fun practice. actually if anyone is interested let me know.

-Jesse

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Love Love x 1
  20. kamackeris

kamackeris
    Premium Member

in please