Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

Took the day off today to get SSW better sorted.

The boy wonder Des helped me yet again.

Well Rod now running 'Paul' file.
Des showed me how to sort profiles on the amp's.

Totally different ball game !!!!

I was previously only getting feedback from TST/LFE on gear change not bumps etc.

Not any more ;)

It's REALLY speaking to me now..man it inspires you to drive better. massive grin as I do so.

I think we should all chip in and buy Rodder's a DD wheels for his effort's.
Outstanding work Rod.

I will continue to test with the tools and hard wear I have and report back.

Many thanks

Signman

Ah good to hear, give me more feedback sometime later via PM regards the latest wav files your trying.
Glad your finding its adding to the driving and not just being a bunch of vibrations. Good progress has been made since the first effects I started with, still, a bot more to come I reckon.

Hope the iNuke profile for the TST & LFE works okay, on mine with testing last night, I think a bit more energy for the TST would be better as I had my amp volume (DSP 1000) for it to 3pm position using the wattage limiter @100w. So may add some additional gain to this and save as a modified profile.

Hey Rod seen this.

Hello,

The TST239 is only designed to be mounted in a horizontal orientation, I am sorry to say. Thanks for contacting Parts Express. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Greg

Technical Support Team

I guess that was a miss print in my user guide !

Like I said yesterday I knew from memory what my own manuals stated. Yet I couldn't be certain if they made modifications to the TST 239. It was "originally" that only the solid cased disc designs were the ones that could be placed vertically.

Like the TST 329 Gold I use on the back of my seat.
Here

If you open the PDF for the manual on the Parts Express website its the same as my old manuals.
Here so you were right to query it with them.

Espically as:

Note: Sales of this product are restricted to North America. Customers outside of North America that purchase this product receive no support or warranty from Clark Synthesis.

That was my concern with your early installation.
Good to have it confirmed....

Your gonna love the engines I've been working on with the detail the TST will produce and the sheer low end grunt of the LFE.

Last edited:
Yea thanks for picking up on it mate.

I'm going to look into making another mount later today .. get this thing flat and as much profile onto the spine area...I had more feel with it mounted direct to the profile which was touching the seat back than off it.

When we got engine rpm this is going to be special ;-)
Looking to play with amp setting's weekend plus try SSW on iracing .

First impression was Assetto fellt much better.

Yeah Id look forward to an i-racing comparison to Assetto Corsa based on the telemetry tactile. As the telemetry from both of these titles is meant to be good. I am not sure how well even from a Simvibe perspective P Cars 2 stacks up with these?

I particularly would enjoy coverage or a detailed look into same car, same track comparison. Just be sure to have the additional boxes in advanced settings for i-racing turned on in SSW. Also point to note "i-racing" supports "brake lock" so that is a default effect at present (we have not used) and we could work on creating a better .wav for that which still works well with the much-improved deceleration effect we have already.

Well, I don't see you rushing to purchase Simvibe as you previously had been especially when I get the "audio tactile" with monitored and boosted engine frequencies they use mixed in with SSW output.
Being so focused on doing it well, it just takes time for me to monitor the frequencies different cars use, then to tweak EQ for that car to have a "specific EQ" for that car to get the most out of its audio.
Then to further have iNuke with its own EQ and settings to match the tactile performance/characteristics of the hardware that is attached.

We tweak the source on one level then tweak the output from the amp to match the hardware.
Sounds complicated but for the user like yourself, its only going to be a case of loading 2 Profiles that have had time and effort put into them.

Nobody I know of or seen elsewhere goes to this level of detail, thats just part of what I like to do (push the boundaries) for me its a pursuit of seeking the best immersion. So I am happy to share my own adventures and testing with others that have invested heavily into tactile immersion.

With all this your beginning to see how awesome SSW can be with using good effects on the best hardware. We're just gonna spice things up a bit now with the enhanced audio implementation.

Last edited:
TST239 Mount UPDATE.

Sent this picture to Parts Express after receiving their WARNING about how it should be mounted .

See below.

pe tech
12:01 PM (49 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Paul,

They must have had a product change, your manual is what is listed o the manufacturers website. So it would be what your manual suggests. The one on my website is older it appears, they may have updated without notifying us of the changes.

Sincerely,

Greg

Technical Support Team

Attachments

• IMG_5800.JPG
    IMG_5800.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 204
I will test the same car and track over the weekend in both iracing and Assetto.
Most likely the Porsche Cup car.

I want to try my seat with the isolators fitted too.
My front pair of ADV are mounted upside down..think Des mentioned they may need phase adjusting.

Yeah in the iNuke setting for the amp regards the front channels just switch the phase and save over the same profile. I look forward to see how/what @Magiashkii has done regards his own isolation and his feedback.

To test the leaking energy, simply use the phone/table apps I shared previously.
If you have ability to use 2 then place one on a pedal or seat platform and then the other on the main-frame. Or set one on main-frame and one on the floor.

This lets you see comparisons (not scientific measurements but still useful) and can be used to monitor (effects in operation) if setting a sim like Assetto Corsa that can have the AI driving your car.

Well thats what Id do if building with 8020 and testing isolation platforms.

Example:

This from about 4 years ago on a previous build/tests.
In true geek fashion I even monitored the noise levels as well as vibrations with the BK LFE and various Clark TST models. Then with testing different crossover settings when I first started getting into iNuke and seriously looking into things in more depth with the best hardware.

When you have 6x TST models all operating and with no crossover, damn its quite loud.
So the iNuke DSP in the early moments of my testing showed real advantages in controlling the tactile.

Last edited:
Durability? Longevity?

I'm always trying to think long-term, so how durable are the shakers? Will they last a decade?

What about software maintenance? How likely will these companies be around in 5 years when we all have new games to play on new operating systems? Yes, I know Buttkicker has been around since 2001, so they're likely to be around in the future, but what about the other companies in this field?

Depends how often you use your rig I suppose.
I'd be happy to get a couple of year's out of my shakers before they required a service.

10 year's, if I'm still here I would hope to have a full state of the art motion rig by then..more likely a Zimmer frame though.

Maybe there will be more elaborate stuff around in 10 year's too.

Hi MrLatte,

After driving with 4 transducer in chassis mode for awhile, i'm thinking is it really necessary to use 4 separate transducers? For ex. when I drop one wheel off in the dirt, I can't really feel accurately which side it is, I suppose as long as there is vibration along with visual cue, even a single transducer will be sufficient.

whats your thought on this? i'm wondering for my new rig (aluminum profile) should I keep the 4 mini lfe setup or change to single or dual but bigger transducer (such as earthquake transducer)

Hi MrLatte,

After driving with 4 transducer in chassis mode for awhile, i'm thinking is it really necessary to use 4 separate transducers? For ex. when I drop one wheel off in the dirt, I can't really feel accurately which side it is, I suppose as long as there is vibration along with visual cue, even a single transducer will be sufficient.

whats your thought on this? i'm wondering for my new rig (aluminum profile) should I keep the 4 mini lfe setup or change to single or dual but bigger transducer (such as earthquake transducer)

I have a 40x40mm 80/20 aluminium profile rig with only one transducer, a BK Advance under my seat being powered at about 300w. And I'm definitely of the opinion that I need more transducers.

My theory (although I have no understanding of physics) is that the design of the profiles and stiffness of the rig is such that you need a lot of power to move it. So, from my limited experience, I would be wary of ditching the 4x LFEs for 1 or 2 larger transducers.

Hi MrLatte,

Dual would probably be the minimum, due to the energy required, and not saturating a single transducer with too many FX all at once. With the sweet spot being over a relatively narrow frequency band you may find even a large single unit inadequate.

Hi MrLatte,

No question that stereo effects can be enjoyable, but having a richer quality of tactile with improved low end brings its own benefits. Each have their own advantages.

The thing to consider is, as mentioned earlier in this thread on having a combination of both.
Stereo at your feet in the pedals, better low-end performance in the seat and improved detailing in the spine area. This in my experience covers all important factors, here they are....

• Stereo (directional tactile)
  • The Best Low-end frequency performance (enhanced realism)
  • Full body immersion (feet/thighs/back)

A single unit is limited in the total immersion it can bring.
Yet it is important to have it installed that the energy is going where you want it. Can the connection be improved at the seat supports, even increasing the contact at the bolts/seat riser that go into the seat, for example this was something I discussed with @Ceolmor who seems to be missing a bit of something? Yet we know from most BK Advance users they are happy with its performance. I would recommend unit in the spine or pedals to increase over the limited immersion a single unit can give. In SSW this will at least give additional immersion in "acceleration" or "deceleration" effects with improved perception of bumps etc.

To compare 4x Mini LFE to a single BK Advance is not a fair comparison.
One is more likely close (for 4x Mini with cables/connectors and 2 amps) a $800 option the other with (BKA cable/connectors and single amp) more around $400.

Is the user willing to spend $800, upto $1200 or $1500. How about $2000 or more on their tactile hardware. Each level will allow them to tick better the 3 factors above with more capable hardware and improvements in performance.

Actually lets make this more interesting.....

So with what you have and a common consideration for a lot of people.
Quad Channel (Chassis Mode) using 2x great amps with ability to control those Mini LFE from the piston issues.

Now, how can this be improved on....
Lets forget about Extension Mode with more of the same units at this stage.

Option 1
So you already have stereo in pedals and seat with 4 decent units.
What are the best rig configs I would consider for @ $1000

*Required Cables/Connectors Not Listed

2x BK Mini (Pedals/Stereo)
1x BK-LFE (Seat Base/Low-End)
1x TST 239 (Seat Spine/Improved Detailing)
2x iNuke DSP 1000 (Best control)

Alternative Option 2
2x ADX (Pedals/Stereo)
1x BK-LFE (Seat Base/Low-End)
1x TST 239 (Seat Spine/Improved Detailing)
2x iNuke DSP 1000 (Best control)

It's possible to make a decent saving by replacing the TST 239 with the more budget TST 209.
Likewise depending on the region the BK-Advance while only @ $40 cheaper than the BK-LFE. Currently in the UK it's £75 less. The BK-Advance pleases most people but yes the BK-LFE will offer easily the best tactile immersion with frequencies below 20Hz. Importantly it has very good energy at 10Hz where (bumps/engine idle/low revs) all benefit with a much richer and satisfying sensation.

* Some people prefer to upgrade to the iNuke DSP 3000 for the amp that will power the BK-LFE but the 1000 DSP model is capable of running it with no issues (paper specs are not real world scenario).

St St St Stereo
Yes and you may of noticed whats missing????? (stereo in the seat)
I would place having "dual stereo pairs front/back" as less important as having all the 3 main factors I listed.

Of course its possible to go for stereo also in the seat, with twin BKA or BK-LFE or even upgrade the front channels to the same models for 4x higher performing units. Yet this and with the additional amps required is what can push the price to rather high extremes.

Ongoing
Currently at this moment I am doing private tests with some guys and at least 3 guys using, very good tactile rigs and while different in their hardware. I have them focusing on covering the 3 main aspects and combining SSW with specially adapted audio-tactile.

Is Simvibe still the best option?
These guys can give their own opinions in future when we have finalised testing.
Yet what we are doing is seeking the best immersion and pushing the boundaries with a bit of creativity and exploration.

Last edited:
thank you Mr. Latte for sharing !! My next question would be once we setup the hardware as you described, 2 at the pedal, 1 below the butt, 1 behind the back. How do we configure the software to take advantage of this setup?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back