Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

Hello Fellas, just playing catch up here ..............

@Furnace Inferno - Have you raced a car or taken one out on a track day yourself ? If you have then you would know with regards to 'transducer tactile' what level of immersion you are seeking/need or wanting to feel.

I have tested with Mr Latte with a number of others I can mention who have raced and so have and can feedback directing what certain profiles should feel like to what we know should be happening out on track within certain situations ........ is it perfect no but damn close, its a simulator.

BUT we know what it should feel like and so we can push the units to the point where we know where they would usually let go, and with DSP you can bring this back under control to attain a level that is more life like, collectively working with other units positioned around your rig ........ can you achieve this with a Thumper under your seat ....... I would say not.

I use to run with x4 mini LFE, but for me these were just inadequate, so I now run x4 BKA within CM with the addition of 2 more Transducers within EM, x1 BKA behind my seat, and finally x1 TST Silver directly under my seat, having played a little at racing cars but more so track days in the real world, I know what I want to be feeling, so I have strategically positioned x6 Transducers to create where you should expect resonance expanding throughout the whole race car (RIG), and boy do you feel it, all under control, and all controlled via DSP, not just from the Unit letting go, as certain Hz cause odd things to occur with certain units, but also controlling the headroom for it not to go beyond its capabilities, but hell if turning it down to regain control of the unit works for you then Race on :thumbsup: ......... finding your sweet spot is your 'Grail'
I have yes but not in any race car or smaller track cars yet as I was too tall and broad to fit :cry:.

Could you elaborate on what exactly it is you are taming with the DSP and how it’s different from base SimVibe stuff?

My issue is feel is too subjective, unless you go back to back, comparing from memory is proven not to be particularly accurate and we all feel/notice different things. For me personally I don’t really notice directionality from tactile as much as the actual suspension movement so if I made changes someone who did would find them completely wrong.

My body is just more sensitive to actual movement rather than vibrations (and why I’ll get a motion platform at some point) which I tend to tune out as a large percentage are just useless white noise. Not to mention I wasn’t thinking about how it felt relative to a sim to then go back and make it similar.

That’s why I’m saying why not think about doing it objectively from data, surely there has to be a way it could be tested? Rather than just removing/changing the tactile you didn’t notice and pronouncing the ones you did because that’s also going to differ a lot per car and driver.

Again not to dismiss what you guys have done but I just think it could be changed much more accurately on the base profile side and tuned to users liking from there. Like I said though perhaps I’m being too anal but the wishy-washy nature of ‘feel’ in sim racing is super annoying to me especially when you think back to things which were said to be really accurate 15 years ago and now we’d think they were crap.

I don't think that anything is being dismissed, In short with regards to transducer units its a case of taking this technology to further its capabilities, trying to get the best out of it or make better, I know where I began...... :confused:

With my layman's knowledge of DSP we are maintaining control of the Hz.... More Powah but keeping control of your unit for it not to let go........ turning the volume down is not the answer when if you know what it feels like to race, you need that resonance to create the immersion you desire, so if you have 6 powerful units all doing this it all adds up to great immersion and feedback.

Equally when enquiring as per its capabilities there is very little or nothing out there to give you any scope/information as per how to do this, and apply it to that with a little bit of this, and this will give you the best results!!?? there is just very little or no information from the source advising the user. So based on what we know via testing units/rigs/sims/Hz/additional Sound via transducers this is what we have learned.

For the most part it suits most users, for the others such as yourself who's bodies are just more sensitive to actual movement rather than vibrations then this just maybe not for you. The other area you mention, could this not be made better via data? that is something I certainly have never looked towards as I am more than satisfied with the feedback I am getting and having raced/track day, this is more than good enough for me with x6 units shouting at me !!! , which may not be everyones cup of tea. Personally for me the next level would be a full motion rig, but do I really need that, with what I have, is absolutely brilliant when flat out in VR feeling every bump through my DD Drive and SOP.

This then may be more your thing ........

Last edited:
Owned and driven quite a few racing car's over the year's including Trans Atlantic Ralt F3 car.
Porsche 964 RS CS.

I have a pretty good a idea what I'm searching for with regard tactile feedback from my own rig.
But if it feels good for YOU that is all that matter's right.

Driving on those big hot fat sticky slick's with front and rear wing's is light years away from doing a track day
in any souped up road car.

Same goes for FFB, holding onto a 260mm none assisted steering wheel and racing through a Hewland Dog Box is something you never forget.

Few year's now since I was racing but what I'm getting from my rig and tactile is pure magic.
Along with VR I still have to pinch myself sometimes.

I built my rig and it was another good few months before I added any tactile.
That would never of even happened had it not have been for Mr. Latte.

The advise from that guy and the time and dedication has to be admired.

I bought SSW and it was just freakin amazing to feel my rig talking to me.
Deceleration, Wheel slip etc,

Testing various WAV file's with a few other guy's, we now have some incredible
immersion going on.

Andre adding RPM was icing on the cake, along with that TST239 on the rear of my seat and Mr Latte file's
jumping in my rig takes me back to my racing day's.

I'm pretty content with what I have from my tactile, it's plenty good enough as is for me.
Mr. Latte will never be happy, this is his hobby and good on him.

I will say as good as my tactile is on my rig I'd put a decent DD wheel before it any day.

Race on and have fun everyone.

RALT.jpg

Well it’s because of VR that I’ve been upgrading my entire rig, first a Buttkicker, then DD which facilitated needing a new rig and an F1/LMP rim for the right wheel feel/shape, then another Buttkicker and this month I’ll be swapping out my Fanatec V3 pedals for some HE Pro’s though that is more for better build quality than anything.

Only things left after that is motion, in an ideal world I would just go for the d-box and get tactile built in but I’m not ready to stump up £10k+ on one upgrade just yet!

I’m only questing the methodology because I’m striving to get as accurate as possible so I personally won’t invest the time/money in something until I know it achieves what I want, the research is half the fun.

Do you have your tactile units and volume setup to match the real thing or toned down?

@signman unforruntely as I say I simply wouldn’t fit in a single seater race car mostly because of my height but I doubt I’d get my shoulders in either which is why I sim race instead. That and it’s cheaper, less hassle and I can drive on practically any track I’m in the mood for.

Don' stop at Pros Furnace bag yourself a set of Ultimates ;-)

Tactile units and volume are setup to give as much feedback to be as close to the real thing as possible, (as you know it to be), because of DSP and other Black Magic volume controls on the AMPS are toned down so they are not under load but leaving a lot of headroom for more Powah if you want more, but even at this mid level pushing out a lot of feedback where it is needed.

Last edited:
You seem to be looking for a fight where there is none. I’m not here to discredit what you’ve done I’m simply asking if you had considered what I’ve said because without measurements from real cars I can only go by logic of the physics of a real
car.

No fight here, I just defend what I know or learned or have tested and share my findings openly often. Sometimes people may come with a different opinion and that's fine. Actually their isnt enough interaction. The question is, "why do you have such opinion regards DSP". What testing or in how was it conducted that brought your own conclusion DSP control is not necessary.

What it seems you are not quite yet grasping is that how different Hz are generated or feel and the amplitude you can use with them is not the same with all frequencies. Your overpowering is coming from Hz your unit has no problems generating. Also I would expect the Hz being output from the effects you are using, may be similar, so these particularly with highly active effects like the ones you have also are boosting the dB usage of those frequencies they share.

I cant go over all you written, but I will share the following views I have or things I have learned.

Measurements From Real Cars
Firstly to my knowledge this doesn't really happen from a track testing perspective for each car. Games developers may approach a 3rd party that can do such track or tyre tests and give actual measurements from a specific car on a track. Maybe something like an X-Bow that can be hired cheap in car/track terms is used.

I presume, the data collected from this may help as a baseline to generate understanding and code for the various axis and cars handling or tyre algorithms used for the sims physics model. However mostly, I think what happens is manufacturers submit data values for a particular car, these are adapted into the sims physics model, yet in reality still, parts of the code used within the sim are probably based on mathematical solutions or algorithms.

So the first part of your accuracy/reality factor problem is the limitations of the physics model and the code that is used is also limited.

Converting Data - Vibration
Next we have the tactile based software, it uses the telemetry code being output from the physics model based within the sim. How the tactile software then uses or allows control of that telemetry may differ.

Simvibe I presume pairs data values to operate within a user-determined sml/large & low/high bass frequency range. So low-high telemetry values work in conjunction with the Hz generated. In the case of SSW again I presume, it uses an audio waveform that includes all the Hz as an audio sample but these increase in amplitude, based on the low/high values of the telemetry data, this time using +/- dB gain for sml-big values.

Here we have two distinct differences between Simvibe and SSW. With Simvibe actually generating tones between a low-high range that the user sets. With SSW I have found it allows more control for the (feel) of the effect by using a "user made waveform" specifically for that particular effects role.

Human Input
It is here we can ask ourselves what should "this effect" feel like, for example with "wheel slip" what Hz should be included to suit that type of tyre slipping sensation, how should the waveform character be? Compared to what sensation then suits "lateral G" and its character? Both can be active at the same time, so how do we give them different energy and character? Each having its own unique sensation yet the two also work well together, to feel at least in some regard natural or as expected. When this is accomplished with good feeling effects. Then you have a working sensation that helps with the user detect the grip and sensing rear traction loss, based on the speed/angles of the steering input for that car to how this feels with the lateral G.

This is one benefit I have found better with SSW than Simvibe but in general SSW seems to bring more sensation to the cars XYZ, Simvibe brings improved bumps options and engine sensations (often very inaccurate engine sensation to the car driven) but it still can feel good.

For example, ask an average Simvibe owner what it actually does for altering a V4 - V12 engine. Most won't be able to technically tell you but some will think its related to data/telemetry from the sim based on the car driven, when in fact it's not. What is happening is how the RPM range is used based on the car as to what Hz the engine uses from idle to its max revs.

Made To Measure Tactile
With SSW I have been intrigued...
Though personally for me I found its not always easy creating an effect that "fits" the role. Then seeking to maximise the "feel" or sensation it brings. For instance, making a +/- change of 5Hz within a waveform can bring a different sensation. So doing such took a fair bit of trial and error and part of the reason there was for good results we had to use Hz that different models could generate well.

Attempting to do this as a 1 effect for all tactile, can bring some compromise over say seeking to find optimal generated effects for either an individual tactile model or group of similar performing ones.

Example: Having a kickass rumble @10Hz bass frequency within an effect and it brings a good deal of weight and energy. This is ideal when used on a BK LFE for "lateral G" as its very satisfying feel of weight shifting from the left-right transducer based on the users steering input. Yet on some models, it won't hardly make any sensation at all, simply because that model just can't generate that level of Hz with much energy.

With more testing, comes more learning or creativity. It was becoming apparent that example effects like "Wheel slip" and "lateral G" need not be the same "waveform" for all cars. It would be possible to use a range of Hz that the effect worked well with the role of the effect but then on a car with larger/wider tyres or one that would generate more cornering speeds. These, of course, will generate higher values from the telemetry. So its possible to then consider "car profiles" to use a modified or stronger feeling waveform and a lesser one for cars with lower values.

More Is Possible
Limited testing was done with this and it can bring variation to help generate different sensations from various types or speeds of cars as the waveform is being, now paired/matched to suit more the physics code values a specific class/type/speed of car may generate. Not just adding amplitude to the same exact waveform. To some extent, a skill could be formed when understanding this better to then help create effects more to what we want or perform well on certain models.

Additional Immersion Possibilities That Have Also Been Trialled

Front / Rear Engine Channel Displacement
Deceleration / Brake Force Channel Displacement
Unique Effect Sensations To Central Installed Tactile
Improving Stereo Bumps
Audio Tactile - Sub Harmonic Extension
Combining Both Audio Tactile With Physics-Based Tactile

Illusion Is The Reality
This (tactile simulation malarky) is not necessarily accurate but what is possible is highly satisfying and enjoyable to the experience. I know how good my own configuration or testing is, yes it is pretty awesome. I have seen friends reactions to it but I can relate right back to ten years ago and what I had in that time, thought or used.

My own aim is trying to progress what we have with the simulation code available. So being experimental and creative with how we can bring more immersion, variation and felt sensation for different cars within a sim. My own push/interest for more takes me to the point of becoming a pest to the developer of SSW in seeking more from what tools it can bring or improve its functionality to let myself or others progress the effects creation/immersion even further. To some extents, I have reached a point my own hands are tied. So with such its time to place focus on an updated build.

Moods & Pref Vs Percieved Realisim
Really though many will not care, sure if they can have different profiles and get a sensation that is perhaps more accurate to that car but think mmmm okay. They may still stick with a profile that feels more to what they like or enjoy the feel of better. So even by seeking more percieved realism could still have users prefer to use a profile for a very different car than the one it was created for based on it feeling more to their like or mood.

Only a few on the forums here have tested the latest files, some brought very little feedback others brought plenty and Im sure some following the saga may even doubt they actually exist.

Those that have them could and should bring more of their own views, or comparisons to Simvibe or how I even showed them examples of taking audio-tactile further and mixing it with SSW. Are they perfect, well no but again I have no problem with honest and backed up opinions.

I am seeking to make a tactile monster of a cockpit but I too would love to see and read more of other peoples own rigs and them sharing their own views opinions openly about tactile.

Currently, I am testing, comparing the Asus U5 vs Soundblaster Omni to determine which is best USB soundcard for an audio-tactile role. I need about pro £180 of cables for how I want to be able to have full mix control for each channel using 5.1 audio-tactile with 6 Channel telemetry based tactile and with how my own configuration uses 2 units per channel. This also brings additional hardware and cables for duplicating the channels.

The adventure continues.....

Last edited:
Don' stop at Pros Furnace bag yourself a set of Ultimates ;-)

Tactile units and volume are setup to give as much feedback be as close to the real thing as possible, because of DSP and other Black Magic they are toned down leaving a lot of headroom for more Powah but already giving our a lot of feedback where it is needed.
Haha, I considered it but I’ll try out the pro’s first as most of the difference from what Niels said is just force required and the damper on the throttle that some like and some don’t.

@Mr Latte I said I haven’t tried DSP and that I don’t understand what the point is in changing different frequency output. I’m thinking of it more from the physics side of things, for example higher frequencies in a real car would also be absorbed more than lower ones so why would we want to artificially boost them to feel as strong? That sort of thing.

I’m also no understanding how it’s any different to the Simvibe filtering settings which let you adjust different frequencies within a particular effect similar to DSP. Is that not the same thing?

The different effects you are trying to replicate are those in place of a motion rig like suspension effects? For me I’d rather have the physical motion effect than it simulated from vibration. It’s why I don’t use many effects on my current ones or in my FFB, as I find some simulated effects more immersion breaking than them not being there at all.

I’m still unsure about the gear shift effect for example, is that realistic to a sequential gear box without driver operated clutch? I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed a pronounced thud, is it simulating the car movement/surge or is there an actual thump I’ve just never thought about? Certainly seems too strong on stock Simvibe settings but I’m just not sure, I’d have to go try some more cars and take notes at this point as my memory of how it felt is too limited because I’m never thinking about it when actually driving at those speeds.

Oh @Mr Latte as to data I don’t mean derived from telemetry but as in we put sensors inside the car and measure different points within the driver side cockpit and see what is actually transmitted.

Perhaps something like a seismometer but presumably that would only give amplitude not frequency so couple with a microphone perhaps?

And then the same on a rig to see how it compares.

For my part, I have no race car or track experience. Just nearly 40 years of driving road cars. So I make no attempt to make my tactile feel ‘Real’ as I don’t know what real is in the racing world.

At the end of the day a simulator is just that, a simulator. It is not real, nor can it ever properly feel real. I just strive to get everything working so that it feels ‘right’ to me.

This includes artificially increasing or decreasing some effects to compensate for other. For example, I have the force on my DD wheel higher than I imagine it is in real life to give me some ‘g-force’ effect that I don’t get from the rig.

On the DSP debate, all I can say is my tactile feels better for me with @Mr Latte ’s profile than without. And I am using Dsp to cut frequencies above 120hz as I am told those above 120hz do little more than add heat to the BK Advance. Can you do that with SimVibe?

P.S. @Furnace Inferno you are going to love the HE Pros.

For my part, I have no race car or track experience. Just nearly 40 years of driving road cars. So I make no attempt to make my tactile feel ‘Real’ as I don’t know what real is in the racing world.

At the end of the day a simulator is just that, a simulator. It is not real, nor can it ever properly feel real. I just strive to get everything working so that it feels ‘right’ to me.

Well said. Couldn't agree with you more.

I have found this discussion to be very interesting and see myself agreeing with various bits from both sides. Personally, I'm of the desire to create a sensation of my whole rig shaking... reacting to bumps, hits, kerbs and the like. I suppose I'm kind of looking to get the feeling of a motion rig... to a small extent... but without having to pony up that much of an investment. Thanks to all of the work of Mr. Latte and his generous posts about this particular field, I feel I have a decent handle on how to set myself up. I think immersion doesn't necessarily correlate with realism but rather a sense of realism. A subjective realism perhaps? ;) I suppose those of us who have no real race car driving experience are at an advantage. We are not saddled with trying to recreate reality! :D

This includes artificially increasing or decreasing some effects to compensate for other. For example, I have the force on my DD wheel higher than I imagine it is in real life to give me some ‘g-force’ effect that I don’t get from the rig.

On the DSP debate, all I can say is my tactile feels better for me with @Mr Latte ’s profile than without. And I am using Dsp to cut frequencies above 120hz as I am told those above 120hz do little more than add heat to the BK Advance. Can you do that with SimVibe?

You can yes or just setup the included BK amp to filter those frequencies. For just cutting out all low or high frequencies at the end of range DSP isn’t necessary.

Well said. Couldn't agree with you more.

I have found this discussion to be very interesting and see myself agreeing with various bits from both sides. Personally, I'm of the desire to create a sensation of my whole rig shaking... reacting to bumps, hits, kerbs and the like. I suppose I'm kind of looking to get the feeling of a motion rig... to a small extent... but without having to pony up that much of an investment. Thanks to all of the work of Mr. Latte and his generous posts about this particular field, I feel I have a decent handle on how to set myself up. I think immersion doesn't necessarily correlate with realism but rather a sense of realism. A subjective realism perhaps? ;) I suppose those of us who have no real race car driving experience are at an advantage. We are not saddled with trying to recreate reality! :D
That’s why I want measurements really because so few of us really know so it would be nice to be able to recreate as much of the sensations accurately as possible to get an idea of what it would be like minus g-forces and possibility of death.

I would like to ask Mr Latte..do you have any race car or track experience ?

Nope.

I concentrate on the effects, as this is what we have to work with. Trying to compare reality with what is possible in the simulation obviously brings various limitations. Yet as your aware and have helped bring as has Des, is letting me apply via SSW effects creation, a character to an effect that resembles or feels not out of place.

We know how convincing and enjoyable this immersion can be.
I still think improvements are possible by separating the engine and other mono effects from the front and rear stereo sets. Also more work on combining the enhanced audio as telemetry tactile is not the be all, in every situation.

Last edited:
Haha, I considered it but I’ll try out the pro’s first as most of the difference from what Niels said is just force required and the damper on the throttle that some like and some don’t.

@Mr Latte I said I haven’t tried DSP and that I don’t understand what the point is in changing different frequency output. I’m thinking of it more from the physics side of things, for example higher frequencies in a real car would also be absorbed more than lower ones so why would we want to artificially boost them to feel as strong? That sort of thing.

I’m also no understanding how it’s any different to the Simvibe filtering settings which let you adjust different frequencies within a particular effect similar to DSP. Is that not the same thing?

The different effects you are trying to replicate are those in place of a motion rig like suspension effects? For me I’d rather have the physical motion effect than it simulated from vibration. It’s why I don’t use many effects on my current ones or in my FFB, as I find some simulated effects more immersion breaking than them not being there at all.

I’m still unsure about the gear shift effect for example, is that realistic to a sequential gear box without driver operated clutch? I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed a pronounced thud, is it simulating the car movement/surge or is there an actual thump I’ve just never thought about? Certainly seems too strong on stock Simvibe settings but I’m just not sure, I’d have to go try some more cars and take notes at this point as my memory of how it felt is too limited because I’m never thinking about it when actually driving at those speeds.

The primary benefit of DSP is the control it brings of the operation for the tactile unit. The goal is not to use DSP to alter the effect(s) themselves but to determine how frequencies, often when combined with multiple effects operating at once, are output on the tactile hardware being used. We then can take into account making changes regards possible issues of reverb and the materials or installation in place, even let a user tweak the units output to their preference.

It sounds complicated, yet to do it is not hard to learn but it's primarily about having the ability in refining things much better. Your issue wouldn't be hard to solve, in controlling the peaking Hz and then being able to increase the wattage of the amp, so other frequencies are also more prominent.

Simvibe does not offer anything to this level of control. In Simvibe you cannot add or reduce specific dB to an individual frequency or group of frequencies. Not all tactile will have the same output characteristics, not all amps will have neither.

A crossover is simple, yeah your BK and Pearl amps have one but its only a low pass filter, yet you cannot determine the slope of the drop off the crossover uses. Nor can you create a notch type filter, or a bandpass filter that can be useful for control or configuring the tactile.

Simvibe enables the low-high values used for most effects. However, this is not possible with the texture based effects that bring less control. Users I assume are still not told much about them or what Hz they can actually use. Yet I know as I went to the bother to buy the hardware/software to be able to see exactly what they output and it was surprising.

Default effects in Simvibe are mainly poo, sorry but do people really believe they are experiencing great tactile with default effects and autotune?

Last edited:

Have to agree with much you said...

What Hz Limit To Use?
You can use Simvibe or SSW with all or any effects operating you wish.
Then set the iNuke crossover to work from value (A) and to end with value (B)
Use a steep slope factor (cliff edge) to get a clean cut at the values you set.
For example: operate only from 80Hz - 120Hz
In doing this you will feel what each or all effects used bring in immersion with the (A) & (B) values you use. Any other Hz the effects use will not be felt as are ignored.
This is just another example of using iNuke DSP features for the tactile tuning/setup/calibrating that cant be done on normal amps or typical crossovers.

I personally do not think over 100Hz is worth that much in the added sensation, particularly on some of the BK models. Although those with more tub based seats it would be good if they done the above type test to rate how much or what even 90Hz - 150Hz brings with the effects they like or prefer to use.

Simvibe, for its tone generated based effects, only enables what limit individual effects work from and up to. However these are "center values" for effects and not the only Hz being used as each will have its own surrounding frequencies. So this is not a crossover as such.

Harmonics from effects will go beyond these frequencies anyways based on the way harmonics operate with sinewaves. Additionally, Simvibe textures go well into the 2000Hz and more to the point of becoming audible. This is one reason textures can sound quite annoying on Clark TST units. Yet textures seem raw/coarse and I found they were more suited to BK units than TST models.

If anything Simvibe has too many types of effects and not enough understanding on them individually to how they can be best used or indeed combined. Much of it is personal preference.

What I know is I can get better and more enjoyable tactile immersion with SSW and of course using good manually created effects. Yet it would be nice to see others attempting to make their own effects and sharing them.

Future?
Things are up in the air as to whether it's worthwhile doing "Car Profiles" for people to simply just load and use. Its a lot of work to bring such in the way Id want to do it. Who or how many people would pay a small fee of £1 - £3 for a profile to further advance my own research work and build?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure people will pay a small fee for file's especially once the word is out how
much better they are.

I have a hybrid set of file's I've been using and it suits many various car/track combo's.

Few tweaks on the slider's in SSW is all that is required to get me believing I've gone
from a screaming V12 Lister to WRC Fiesta in RallyX.

This is Sim Racing..simulation.
I've struggled in the sim and still do, I find real life racing MUCH more natural to me.

Getting my head round just the grip you have from various sims and unable to feel my tyre's and chassis talking to me is really strange..yes it does talk to you through your DD rim but what you feel through your body in a race car is just year's away from my static rig.

Even the car's don't react to certain setup changes like in the real world.
But man is it fun.

Chatting with Nicki Thiim and he agreed many real life race driver's struggle with sim racing especially iracing.

That is how it has been for me but getting better.
I LOVE sports car racing, being able to drive Group C especially does it for me.

Have I ever driven a Group C race car ..Have I fook but it feels great sat in the Porsche 962
or Merc C9 in AC.

Shame your not local Rod, I was going to offer you a few lap's round Oulton in a real GT3 cup car
later in the year..my friend is racing one and I'm in the process of designing and fitting the graphic's.

Signman

Last edited:

I was watching this and would express that something which feels really good in my own test build. Is the way you see the heave with the chassis and his body reacting as the whole chassis moves up/down. Its possible to have a very convincing sensation of this with powerful enough tactile.

Yet I do not believe someone will get with smaller or units unable to deliver very convincing low-frequency energy. The sensation @Furnace Inferno mentioned is not the
same as that is with mid-bass frequencies peaking, which is very different level of energy and sensation.

Edit: New Image Added

* Size of grid rectangles, demonstrates the bass energy found in each 10Hz range.

If we allow upto 50Hz to represent frequencies that are what we would term as "good bass". With the understanding that they improve to be stronger as they get lower and lower. Then this illustrates the potential low bass energy performance in my view of the three most popular Buttkickers. I also added a line to represent models like the Dayton Puc or Bass Pumps and others typically found cheap on eBay/amazon etc.

Red = BK LFE
Very good from 10Hz

Yellow = BK Advance

Excellent energy from 15Hz

Blue = BK Mini

Punchy energy within 35-50Hz

Green = Various $10 - $50 Units
Very limited range of good bass energy.

The sensation I feel from the two large BK LFE on the seat with the level of output they have in low based Hz and the effects we are using, produces a real convincing immersion in this regard. This is because a great deal of tactile bass energy is being outputted that has much more energy than midbass frequencies. These can deliver that firm sponginess type sensation. Im sure others with BK Advance may feel this too but is likely it is more apparent with the larger BK LFE model as they have a much larger piston.

While it does not physically move us, you feel the jolt as our nerves including body muscle detect this energy and relate it to the brain.

Here is an excerpt from a Clark TST pdf which brings more of the science to it:

There are four additional pathways through which we perceive acoustic energy, all of which fall into the category of tactile sound:

• Deep tissue and muscle mass (“Kinesthetic”)
• Skeletal joints (“Haptic”)
• Skin sensation (sense of touch)
• Bone conduction (skull-to-cochlea transmission)

Work In Progress:
My own test build, which is a bit of a mess currently with ongoing ideas being implemented,

What I have done with experimenting is extend and sought to maximise via steel tubing my stereo tactile.

So the BK LFE are installed and transmitted into the seat rails dispersing the energy all across the seat and the recline, metal component section. However I wanted to maintain this energy via independent L/R parallel tubing for the back of the seat and also to the floor region.

This experimenting delivers the stereo tactile no longer just into the main seat underneath. Progressing this by placing contact points also into my shoulders at the back of the seat and under my knees with a further tubing extension right down to my calves/feet for the current tests being done.

Example: Experimental Testing:
Knee & Leg extensions can be angled and rotated into position.
Makes superb contact below knee joint and back of legs. Here is very sensitive and brings good added immersion possibilities. These regions normally on a typical seat installation do not bring much if any body contact with the tactile.

Back Of Seat

Here are two large suction cups that connect to the back of the carbon fibre of the seat placing tactile energy directly into the shoulder blade regions. These are attached to the L/R chrome tubing stereo tactile extensions the stereo tactile are installed directly to.

Previously I had these suction cups lower and working from the "Sub" channel and not helping to enhance the stereo channels. Keep in mind I get extreme levels of low bass and superb detail by combining both a TST 429 and BK LFE on each of the stereo channels.

With my upgrades and new build, I will enhance the "Sub" channel by combining a Clark TST 329 and BK Concert models. I can use these primarily for engine/gear and some other mono effects. This then does not disrupt the stereo channel based effects and still brings a strong and satisfying engine sensation.

These units will be installed via independent, central tubing underneath the seat. Making contact with the base of the seat and also another steel/chrome tubing extension like shown above for the "Sub" channel. This will be central below the two suction cups shown above and more for energy displacement into the lower spinal region.

A lot of testing has went into this already espically with testing effects and how they can be used on the different channels. More will continue to be done. This is, not me just firing a load of tactile onto a seat and hoping for the best.

So what I am doing here is testing in the attempt to maximise the immersion far beyond a typical seat install bringing the amount of contact my body has and contact in regions that normally do not get a direct injection with the energy. For the brain, this is a large increase in the sensory input the body is detecting. If you improve that, then you amplify the level of immersion.

The new build I do will improve on the Frankenstein mockups tried but the results are really good thus far with a great deal of increased sensation.

I want to bring much better isolation and have the isolation itself have a small amount of vertical rebound. I'm not sure if this will help increase the sense of heave, I believe it will however only testing will determine this. As it could potentially dampen it or make little difference but the isolation on the seat is far beyond the normal thing being done.

Mr Latte Vs Average Users Tactile Isolation

Just one part of my isolation ideas for my seat section.
4 sets of dual/inverted T300 will be incorporated with other layers of specialist materials to maintain as best possible energy from 6x tactile units being installed to the seat.

This video below you see a D-Box doing an audio frequency sweep test with its own internal tactile vibration. You can hear the tone going down, and watch what happens to the VR sensor and even the heavily mounted DD wheel.

What you can see illustrated here right at the end of the audio sweep is low-frequency Hz moving mass. Take note that a cockpit with multiple of the bigger Buttkickers can easily exceed in tactile energy what you see demonstrated here. (Tip: Re-watch the test at 1/2 or 1/4 speed)

Im not playing down the abilities of the D-Box tactile here but placing focus for those that do not really grasp what high level tactile energy can do.

Goto 4:40
What you also hear is a lot of bad vibration/reverb (mainly from his GS4 with mid bass Hz). Thats one thing we seek to avoid with good isolation or calibrating.

Buttkicker example
2 BK LFE (not mini) see description
I don't believe having springs will bring accurate representation of bumps, as other effects could generate the same spring movement. However, this does help illustrate what energy they are outputting.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 362 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years