Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

Has anyone here had any previous experience with the Buttkicker BK4-4 Advance? Not finding too many reviews online except from non-sim users. If I'm only going to go single for the time being, I want it to provide enough punch. Already sold on the iNuke DSP1000, I've seen how much better the mini LFE and concert perform when using a quality amp with DSP. Reading about the BK Advance BK4-4 and how it sounds like a sweet spot between the mini LFE and the big LFE, just would like to hear from some more sim users who have tried them.

I never used a BK advance but I got a used BK LFE on ebay which arrived yesterday. Initially I was expecting it to rattle the house down compared to my pair of ADX Maximus, but what I found was it added much more feedback at the lower frequencies which my ADX just can't reach.

IMO a single transducer isn't an adequate solution. I started with a pair, one ADX on the pedals and one ADX on the back of my seat. Adding the BK LFE under the seat has improved things nicely at the low end. After some very basic initial testing 'm not sure it would have been worth the investment at full retail price, but it was certainly good value for £100 used.

To be fair as soon as I fed it more power from the amp and upped the output by 3db it felt a lot more impressive, and I certainly need to mount it in a better position, so I'm hoping to still gain some better performance. In it's current mounting position it's fighting two layers of rubber and neoprene rig isolation to feed energy into the seat support.

@DM77 I'd compare having a metal plate on top of the seat rails to alternative methods of attaching and to test more than one option. Well just me, but I have NEVER personally just done one installation attempt and thought that will do.

Only thing I would say with a plate directly below the seat is that more than likely the seat, springs could compress with the plate then making good contact underneath and not just vibrations via the seat rails or uprights of the cockpit.

Everyone has their own ideas, my advice is to anyone is consider options and try more than one.
Sometimes a bit of extra bother is worth the benefit in finding additional performance.

Sometimes a bit of extra bother is worth the benefit in finding additional performance.

Agree, just by tiling my seat and having legs in better contact with the seat gave a better tactile
feel..I'm about to isolate my pedal base too.

Always tuning.

I'm thinking something similar for mounting my BK Advance. I want it to be below or under the seat. I am going to be using a Miata car seat with original slider mounts to install on my sim rig, and thinking I want to bolt on a cross bar to the sliders that I can mount the BK to, then bolt the sliders themselves onto the rig frame with the isolators. So really the shaker is really mainly influencing the seat only, instead of the entire frame.

Question for Behringer iNuke1000DSP owners, can you adjust the gain separately for each channel? I am considering adding a cheaper Aura AST for the pedals to run along with the BK Advance on the seat. Obviously the BK Advance required more power than the Aura, so want to make sure I could independently adjust the gain between both channels.

Yes each channel can have its own entire settings or make usage of

Set resistance (ohms)
Digital Wattage limiter
Crossover Control
Output gain level
Parametric EQ
Dynamic EQ
Volume control (this also adjusts the input level for A/B inputs)

Most iNuke DSP users likely create settings they like making adjustments to preference, save them as a preset and then not bother that much with altering the amp once tuned. In laymans terms, with INuke DSP you have control over the strength/amplitude of specific frequencies, not just the volume. This lets the user tune to suit the operating character of the unit being used, its specifications and also the users materials, installation and preference. It may sound complicated but it REALLY isnt that hard to grasp or get some help with.

Last edited:
Yes. There are separate volume controls on the front panel.

9BxJzBx.jpg

In laymans terms, with INuke DSP you have control over the strength/amplitude of specific frequencies, not just the volume. This lets the user tune to suit the operating character of the unit being used, its specifications and also the users materials, installation and preference. It may sound complicated but it REALLY isnt that hard to grasp or get some help with.

While tinkering with my new Sound Blaster Z and a collection of mismatched speakers for 6.1 surround sound, I ran across Room EQ Wizard and Equalizer APO which can be combined to do the same thing as the iNuke controls. Technically, one really only needs Equalizer APO to do the basic filtering rather than the more complicated filters that you can create with Room EQ Wizard. In theory, this might save people some money because they won't be paying extra for DSP on their amps.

Equalizer APO can be assigned to specific sound cards, both as input & output. What I don't know for certain is whether you can use two (or more) different filter profiles simultaneously, one for each sound card and/or each input/output. Since I doubt most people are doing any equalization of their audio sound card, it is uncomplicated to just use the filter for tactile channels.

While tinkering with my new Sound Blaster Z and a collection of mismatched speakers for 6.1 surround sound, I ran across Room EQ Wizard and Equalizer APO which can be combined to do the same thing as the iNuke controls. Technically, one really only needs Equalizer APO to do the basic filtering rather than the more complicated filters that you can create with Room EQ Wizard. In theory, this might save people some money because they won't be paying extra for DSP on their amps.

Equalizer APO can be assigned to specific sound cards, both as input & output. What I don't know for certain is whether you can use two (or more) different filter profiles simultaneously, one for each sound card and/or each input/output. Since I doubt most people are doing any equalization of their audio sound card, it is uncomplicated to just use the filter for tactile channels.

Yes I've experimented some with APO "Peace" and it's rather excellent in what features and controls it offers. Have spent some time with it for boosting "audio tactile" and recently shared this with some guys in testing.

I believe most people, especially newcomers should find iNuke DSP much simpler to learn and use.
While prices vary in different regions and in some yes Behringer amps are expensive. Having looked for sometime, its hard to find an amp that has anything close to the benefits/features iNuke DSP offers, Including its ability to operate with different ohm resistance on each channel. Or in a sub $200 / £200 amp, have adequete output to power even the largest Buttkickers. Last, not least they perform really well with low-end bass frequencies. Plenty of amps that cost as much or more are imho not as good a choice to consider buying.

Yet I see what your saying in saving money with a typical stereo amp but what amp is, as well used by so many for this purpose, tried and tested, and as recommended, or that costs enough less not to just warrant buying the iNuke DSP 1000 or 3000 models anyways?

Some of us, have been working on iNuke profiles with the intention to share these in the near future. So again newcomers or those that own the amps but never really used its full features or found it too daunting. A thread is coming on how to easily do this, to load a profile into the amp that performs well with the tactile they are using. Yes DSP is more beneficial or useful with the mid-high end models but can bring some benefits in tuning for others, be it piston pang issues or toning down peak frequencies on certain models.

A small group of us have privately been testing for BK Advance, BK LFE and Clark TST models. Also with help from @DM77 to create one that works well with the popular ADX model. More models can be added in future but such should help people with specific models have a nice setting that should perform or control the tactile better than a standard amp does.

So far 4 users in testing with very different cockpits/materials have all found a profile to work well on their own rigs/installations using, BKA & BK LFE, also Clark TST 239, 329 and 429 models in combinations using upto 6 channels with Sim Shaker Wheels (SSW).

We developed these with ongoing Sim Shaker Wheels file creation and testing. With models like the BK Advance or LFE we are certainly extracting more control and performance than a standard amp with no such features would. How well someone may fair with APO Im not sure but yes do believe it has some potential for anyone that may learn and understand what some of its elaborate features do.

The problem is, its also very easy to make a tactile unit feel worse, if the user is not so sure what they are doing.

Last edited:
Good stuff. My iNuke 1000DSP and BK Advance arrive tomorrow. Will be hooking everything up to a new cockpit next week then will be diving into the tactile feedback pool.

As a newbie, I assume Sim Shaker Wheel software has ability to tailor what feedback effects you want coming through? Although I'm not going full chassis mode with 4 shakers at the moment, I'd like to hopefully setup my BK Advance so it translates some road feel through the seat.

Seeing as SSW supports 6 channels, is my assumption corrrect that there is no need to run 2 dedicated soundcards as I would've with SimVibe to blend CM and EM effects across 4x BK-A, 1x BK-LFE and 1x TST-239?

I have yet to purchase any of my components, but from what I've read (thanks to everybody, especially you, Mr. Latte), my selection is the above shakers with a pair of inuke dsp 1000 and an another inuke dsp 3000 to push the fatty under the seat.

PC is currently using a Sound Blaster ZXR for 5.1 audio, so i will simply use my onboard 5.1 analog outs from my Maximus IX Code mobo for SSW.

Rig is a Sim-Lab P1 with a reclining (bottom mounting) GT-Omega seat. I'm thinking that a side-mounted fiberglas bucket seat will be more informative as a medium for vibrations.

Any clue on which components to start with to maximize my enjoyment? Im looking to throw about 500$ a month at this for a few months in functional stages.

Seeing as SSW supports 6 channels, is my assumption corrrect that there is no need to run 2 dedicated soundcards as I would've with SimVibe to blend CM and EM effects across 4x BK-A, 1x BK-LFE and 1x TST-239?

That is correct...
Simvibe uses what it calls "Output Mixer" here the user adds the channels (supported by whichever card) for CM & EM. One of the worst things about Simvibe is the requirement to manually have to configure, every single channel independently for all the effects settings and then possibly multiple layers and in some cases additional filters. It's 2017/2018 but Simvibe still doesn't support copy/paste and likely never will. So it can take a long time to mess around with each channel and the settings.

From what I have seen in some forums, some people seem to think "Auto Tune" magically makes your settings feel good with your hardware being used. Yet firstly, Simvibe has no idea or settings for determining what level of hardware you are using.

From the research I did for my own study, "Auto Tune" may have some benefits but it defeats the purpose of manually learning and understanding what settings work best on specific tactile hardware. So often while it may eliminate clipping or help towards possible piston pang on some BK models. It can reduce the true potential of what sensations a properly configured and manually calibrated arrangement of effects can achieve. I know this for a fact with monitoring custom files output over 8 channels via professional DAW software/hardware and then monitoring "Auto Tuned" arrangements of effects and seeing how "Auto Tune" adjusts the slider values. I could achieve much better tactile immersion with manual configuring of settings for my hardware.

Some may want SSW & Simvibe, that's upto the individual but I myself see more future potential in SSW and prefer its arrangement of effects, simple UI and avoiding all the frustrastion Simvibe can bring.

I have yet to purchase any of my components, but from what I've read (thanks to everybody, especially you, Mr. Latte), my selection is the above shakers with a pair of inuke dsp 1000 and an another inuke dsp 3000 to push the fatty under the seat.

PC is currently using a Sound Blaster ZXR for 5.1 audio, so i will simply use my onboard 5.1 analog outs from my Maximus IX Code mobo for SSW.

Rig is a Sim-Lab P1 with a reclining (bottom mounting) GT-Omega seat. I'm thinking that a side-mounted fiberglas bucket seat will be more informative as a medium for vibrations.

Any clue on which components to start with to maximize my enjoyment? Im looking to throw about 500$ a month at this for a few months in functional stages.

Get the Asus DGX card as that is what most use with SSW and it keeps (future guides) easy to follow for settings etc. I plan to do an "Unofficial SSW Guide Thread" after the New Year and this will also cover files for effects that have been tested/developed over the last few months. We still want more from Andre and SSW but really that's down to the involvement from the community and possibly how well-received SSW continues to become established as a worthy contender to Simvibe, not just perceived as a cheap or more basic solution.

BKA seems to be the sweet spot for a good low end yet still decent detailing. The BK LFE certainly has greater low-end abilities over the BKA but it has rather limited detail above @60 Hz. So what does the user prefer? The LFE's purpose is for maximum low end extraction but at the cost of midbass detailing. Specs may claim similar operating frequencies, BK customer support promotes the idea that a bigger unit is only needed on bigger seats/platforms etc.

That its recommendations are based on a wattage-weight-size scale to factor what unit a user should consider using/buying. In my own real-world comparisons in this area of "sim based tactile immersion," my advice is to take into account that units like the BK LFE - BK Advance - BK Mini LFE do not perform the same across the given specifications/frequency ranges with just increased wattage differences.

High End Tactile Rig!
Possibly for an optimal high-end tactile rig, if seeking to build up towards such for SSW could use:

Front Stereo = BKA
Rear Stereo = BKA
Cen & Sub Channels = TST 239*
Additional/Secondary Cen & Sub Units = BK LFE* (1 in seat ) or (1 each in seat & pedals)

* "Dual Role" on Cen & Sub channels:
Pedal Section = Cen & Seat Section = Sub

Trying to Take Tactile Further!
We have the ability to do something Simvibe failed miserably with and harldy anyone bothers to do.This is using car specific effects and settings for greater varation and more resembling the car being driven.

If we proceed with development of future "Car Profiles" effects. These will be created to support 1-6 channels but also make use of a combination like above using secondary TST & BK units in the pedals/seat for combined additional detailing and low-end extension.

"Dual Role" as I refer to it is then producing the maximum low-end extraction but high-end detail with the combined units. No single tactile unit can achieve this to the same performance. Do you want to feel 10Hz with very high levels of energy within an engine at idle? Do you want engine detailing to be the best feeling sensation? This is what the purpose of the "Dual Role" can deliver if properly configured and installed. It simply combines the best of what each unit does better.

This can be applied (already being tested) to highlight specific effects but also is the best way to accommodate Front/Rear biased effects (Acceleration/Deceleration) and also for:

Front Engine Car = More engine energy in pedal section (Corvette C7R)
Mid Engine Car = Evenly Spread 50/50 (Audi R8)
Rear Engine Car = More engine energy in seat section (Porsche 911)

Ready For All Options
This installation layout will also match those seeking to use "Audio Tactile" in a 5.1 configuration with consoles (Forza GT) etc. Additionally the ability on PC to mix both usage of "Game Audio" with telemetry based effects from SWW , Simvibe or other.

Engines / Tactile Immersion
My own personal desire is to have good performance SSW effects and combined with *modified "Audio Tactile". This for future possible discussion in how and whats involved.

As we seem limited with what can be done currently with .wav files for engines in SSW.
My own focus and experimentation is creating and using SSW engine effects that bring the RPM sensations and feel to what is often missing in many "audio engines" espically at mid-high revs.

However, the inclusion of both if done well can give the much desired felt engine strain/energy but also what Simvibe or SSW cannot achieve via (faked engines) is the "Character" of the cars actual engine captured within the audio. Its just too complexed to even try to attempt to do such via tone generation or .wav files with the limitations SSW & Simvibe have.

Community Collaboration?
Early tests are promising but more work needs done, yet we can go way beyond what Simvibe offers in harmonics or its more abundant engine tone generation features that some are currently using. In 2018 I will be keen to try and team up with (sound mod creators) here at RD Forums (if they are interested) to help ensure the wonderful work they do can be configured to also work brillantly with tactile. Some current files do this better than others so I think joint collaboration between audio/file creators and tactile/users makes sense.

Roundup
The BKA is the unit to start building a system around, clearly giving much better output than the smaller Mini LFE / Gamer units but maintains enough detailing over the BK-LFE when used on its own. Combining Clark TST will bring additional detailing. iNuke DSP will allow the best control and tuning for them.

Several people on the forums are using configurations with these components.
Their own satisfaction is a testament to the quality of immersion they deliver.

Hope it helps encourage and to determine what to do.

Last edited:
So I'm looking to add some vibration to my rig, so I'm looking for some help.

I have £700 to spend to add some vibration to my system, I've been looking at the Mini LFEs and the Aura transducers, I can afford 3x Mini LFEs OR 4 Aura transducers which is best?

I've looked up online and I can get the Aura Transducers imported from the USA for $45 a pop, but shipping is $205, the total cost of 4x Aura's is £280 from USA (or £400 if I bought in UK), the Mini LFE's are £450 for 3, or I can get a bundle for £550 for 4x LFE Mini's and a Dayton SA230 amp.

Which is the better deal? 4x Aura Transducers and say a cheap amp for £350? or the 4x LFE mini's and the Dayston SA230 for £550, I've heard I don't need such an expensive amp?

Are the Mini LFE's better than the Aura Transducers?

@Karma#44 as per my earlier post .......

There are so many variables with tactile (shaker type & number, amps, rig, placement, isolation, software etc) that I doubt you will get a definitive answer as to which is best.

I started off a few months ago with a similar intention to you, and have ended up with two Buttkicker Advances (one seat, one pedals) and a iNuke1000dsp amp, with the possibility of expanding in the future.

The ADX Maximus is similar to the Aura, (and for some preferred)and you could get 4 of those in the UK from ShakerCentre for £332 including postage.

The iNuke1000dsp amp is highly recommended for sim tactile because of the flexibility it gives in powering and controlling the shakers. They power two shakers each, so you would need two but can get 2 for £328 from Amazon or dv247/Music Store. You would need the dsp version NOT the non-dsp version.

So that is £660. You will need to budget for cables, nuts and bolts, software (SimVibe or SimShaker Wheels) and you should add some rubber isolation to get the best out of the shakers.

There are people here much more knowledgeable than me who will be able to assist.

Hi, @Karma#44 great to see more people like yourself showing an interest....
Your decision, well this depends on your preference and future ideas.
Also how you are going to install the units on your own configuration, what limitations or factors such as vibration noises, may you have?

I tried to create a thread a few months back on this very topic but it got very little user feedback.
To try and determine if a 4way configuration was better than a 2 way with using better units but only in pedals and seat. The alternative is opting for one amp and placing Stereo Tactile in the seat.

Do you want a pretty decent tactile multichannel experience to enjoy from the offset in around the price of your £700 budget? Or do you consider buying higher performance tactile units but gradually grow this towards owning a much superior configuration over time?

This is, an often asked scenario, personally I refer to it as determining:
Quantity Vs Quality

What is very common with tactile is that most users first impressions or experiences with it are enjoyable and positive. It certainly adds a dimension of interactivity that when you have it, you won't want to race without. Often, however, users, want to then upgrade to better components for greater quality of immersion their cockpit can deliver over popular models costing in the $/£30 - $/£100 regions.

Which amp is easy.....
A 4 way configuration requires 2x stereo amps so this already is a large part of your budget.
However if you buy the iNuke DSP 1000 (best featured/performance amp for the money). This amp can be used for the larger more engrossing BK Advance . So even if you opt for more quantity and less quality you do not need a different amplifier in future if you opted to later upgrade the tactile.

If it was my choice I would buy:
2x iNuke DSP 1000
1x BK Advance for Seat
2x Clark TST 239 (1x Pedals 1x Seat/Spine)

* So only using 3 of the 4 channels but with option to later add a secondary BK Advance for pedals. This will even with 1 BK Advance go over your budget a bit depending on deals you can find.

In my own personal experience/opinion
Having a front-back configuration covering your feet/backside/spine body regions will give you great immersion. With this combination and level of hardware, it will easily exceed the quality of immersion you would get from 4x BK Mini LFE or 4x ADX units. The Mini LFE will have more punch than the ADX but it does need a bit of tuning which we can do with the iNuke to tame its much-discussed piston pang.

In layman's terms, with my recommendation, you will lose out in not having stereo tactile with a 4-way configuration but you will have greater quality and sense of depth/energy from all the effects as well as greater detailing with the combination of TST and BK models combined to work together. Each with pre-tuned iNuke profiles to help pair them to how you want them to operate.

Many people do not notice when they are feeling stereo tactile. Sometimes this is due to installation used for the units on the cockpit or settings used with the software they are running. It does seem a lot of people prefer "additional energy" to having channel separation or stereo sensation. It is mainly felt with bumps/suspension but SSW does seem to have more effects that operate in stereo than Simvibe however while I personally enjoy stereo separation it's not the most important aspect for immersion. Thats really what the main benefit of Chassis Mode / Stereo Front & Rear units offer.

Hope its some help but others are welcome to offer their own preferences or experiences.

Last edited:
How to get vibes in your sequential shifter for 10p.
Just a very stiff rubber foot wedged in between the profile and ADV.

Only temporary fix..work GREAT !

Shift Vib 1.JPG
Shift Vib 2.JPG

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back