T300RS Steering Calibration

Hello,

I am new to the forums and I just thought that this is one of the biggest sim racing forums around. Perhaps someone has experienced this issue that I'm having.

I just got a Thrustmaster T300RS for 3 days and on the first day it failed to center properly. Well, I just did the manual centering thing (MODE + SE + ST) and that seemingly have fixed it. Then I discovered on day 2 that the whole range is offset towards the right.

Here's how to make the issue description clearer. If I put the steering lock to 360 it means the wheel should end at the 6 o'clock position when fully steered either left or right, correct? In my wheel's case it goes beyond 6 o'clock and ends almost at 7 when steered to the right whereas if steered to the left it won't even reach 6 since it ends at 7. All that with the wheel center perfectly at 12.

To fix that I have to set the steering max lock to 1080 then force the wheel to reach the left most (counter clockwise). It's like its initial calibration run (auto calibration during power up) doesn't see the last 45 degrees or so on the left so I have to manually "make it see it". Then I corrected the center again.

Problem is I still have to do the manual calibration every single time I power up the wheel. I have to do the max rotation to the left thing else its center will be offset to the right. Once I do though the wheel centers itself correctly afterwards and the range is no longer offset to the right.

Hardware issue? Software? Anyone experienced this? I've already sent an e-mail to Thrustmaster Support but I think everyone here knows about their support's reputation so I wanted to ask here too.

Thank you very much.

Thanks for replying minidriver. Unfortunately that didn't fix it. That's what Thrustmaster Support told me to do.

Here's a discovery after detaching the steering wheel for the tool though: If I reinsert the USB plug with the wheel detached the auto-calibration works really well. It centers perfectly and the left and right range is symmetrical. Weak motor? Weak sensor? What the heck is wrong with these wheels? Why are they so prone to defects?

Upvote 0
can you put up a video of it calibrating with wheel on, so I can compare it to mine.

I had issues with my first TX, I think it was a failed position sensor. FFB would fail after a couple of corners, and eventually my wheel wouldn't calibrate at all.

Are you running through a usb hub? If so, is it powered?

Upvote 0

I have tried it on USB 2.0 ports at the back of my PC too. In the video I'm plugging it on a USB 3.0 port. It doesn't make a difference. I've not used a USB hub.

This experience is making me begin to regret my choice of purchase. I could've just stuck with "old school" Logitech. They're low tech compared to the Thrustmasters but I never had any issue with my G25 that lasted almost 6 years. It only died because it was left unused for almost 6 months and was exposed to mold.

I'm OK with a less than stellar FFB if that gives me reliability and durability in exchange. OK, enough with the ranting. I really like this T300RS, really smooth FFB but I don't want always do this manual calibration every single time it's powered up because I feel like it's going to get broken much sooner.

Upvote 0
Seeing the video it looks like the belt slips/skips during calibration. Might just be a matter of a few under-tightened screws around the motor, so the belt is not kept tight enough.

Upvote 0
Thrustmaster has already initiated a return process. Good thing I bought a protection plan for 3 years for this thing. Looks like I would need it. TM should never, ever, build a car, an airplane or space ship if their QA is like this. Not even a week has passed and this wheel already needs some fixing.

I'm so dissappointed right now. Argh! Should've just got a G920.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back