SymProjects GI-Max Review and competition

Brian Clancy

Premium
The Sim Hardware Forum are very pleased to open the Symprojects Competition and the first product review today!

The review (and competition) for the Symprojects GI-Max L.E.D. Gear indicator:

small_GIMax_1.jpg

First Impressions:

The unit came VERY well packaged in a good sized cardboard box and had a generous covering of bubble wrap. Once I had discarded the packaging, I was plesantly suprised by the size and quality of the unit. The L.E.D. measures a nice 33mm w x 47mm h, the board itself is only fractionally larger at 46mm w x 49mm h, with an overal depth of approximatly 22mm. This is an ideal size compromise, alowing for a relativley compact instalation, but having a display large enough to be easily seen if it is mounted near a monitor (allowing it to be viewed without having to take your eyes off the track!). The overall quality of the board itself is high, the finish of the PCB, layout, mounting holes and 'feel' of the unit all make to give an impression of a well made device.

Features:
As well as the obvious gear indicator function, the GI-Max has another, rather neat use. The display can be programmed (quite easily with the 'SimDash' software) to blink on and off repeatedly at a pre-set RPM giving the device a very useable and quite clever 'shift light' function. The brightness of the display can also be altered in the software too and unit has another feature that many Hardware builders will also appreciate, as well as the mini USB socket to connect the device to the PC, it also has provision for a USB cable to be wired directly to the GI-Max, by way of soldering the wires to four clearly marked holes in the side of the board. This would make for a very neat and compact instilation.

small1.jpgback of device
small.jpgfront

Software:

The 'Sim Dash' software is a quick and easy download from the Symprojects site. I was pleased to find it very quick to install and most intuative in its use. Once you run the Sim Dash software you just click on the GI-Max banner. It then has a simple slider bar to adjust the brightness of the display, a 'tick' box to turn on or off the 'shift light' function and a box to assign the desired RPM for the shift light if desired. (see pic below)

small2.jpgSim Dash v1.2

Using the GI-Max:

Once you have pluged the device in with a suitable mini USB cable and run/configured the sim dash software, its time to play! I have built a special housing to display all the symprojects products (pics below) but you can simply rest the GI-Max near the monitor or anywhere you like. The display is VERY bright at its max setting and the latencey (or delay) between the display and a gear shift is non exsitant! I have to say, this little device put a big grin on my face once I started to use it. There is a short Video below of the unit being used in my 'display unit' .

small3.jpgWhat can be achieved, with a little thought, some very basic D.I.Y. skills and tools, and of course, Symprojects excellent devices!

small4.jpg

Conclusions:

At £24, this is a really great device. Very well made, great functionality and good, easy to use software too. Its pretty hard to find fault with it to be honest. If there was one gripe (and I'm being very hard here saying this) there is currenty no option to purchase a box or stand for the unit. But luckily, the Sim Hardware Forum here at RD can help with that!

Value: 97 points Your going to be hard pressed to find something better for this money!

Quality: 93 points Very well made device, cant fault it

Functionality: 99 points with the built in shift light function, its top marks again!

Buy One ???: Oh YES! I have already owned one for a few months now! If you even vaugly like techie stuff for sim racing, this is a great item!

RD Rating : 289/300 Thats a pretty high score to be honest!

RaceDepartment and myself would like to thank Cristiano for his kind donation of the devices for the competition and review and the generous 5% discount for all RD members (just use this code at the checkout ' RD-FIVE-OFF ') . The Symprojects Site can be found HERE
COMPETITION TIME!

Well, thanks to Symprojects, I have a GI-Max in my hand, waiting to be posted to its lucky new owner!
Entry is simple, no questions, no fuss. The competition has only ONE RULE. YOU MUST BE AN RD DONATOR at the time of the draw for your entry to qualify. Just donate a couple of Euro's Via Paypal. I will however allow younger Members (18yrs of age or younger) to enter without a donation as it would be hard for them to do so. If you are ALREADY an RD DONATOR, thanks very much and you can just enter!! This competition is open to ALL donators including RD Staff (why should they be penalised for running this great site!!) except me, Boo Hoo (for obvious reasions, plus I already have one YAY!)
To ENTER simply add your name to this list HERE BUT PLEASE ONLY ENTER YOUR NAME and nothing else, not even to say thanks or how great I am LOOOOOL! (Kidding)
The competition will close on the 30th of september and I will draw the winners name and contact him the next day to arrange delivery of this great prize! So remember to make sure your a donator at this time!
Dont forget, there will be two more Symprojects Reviews to follow, each with a great prize competition too, so keep an eye out and GOOD LUCK!

Attachments

• IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 501
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 451
  • IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg