• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Tracks Sveg, Sweden

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Modding Discussions' started by LeonS, Oct 12, 2017.

1. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    Sveg, Sweden

__43.jpg
    __29.jpg
    __18.jpg

I'm updating this post every now and then to keep it up to date for those not wanting to click through pages of posts. Some of the info / screenshots etc. here may be copy & pasted and might reoccur in the thread.

Info

14 turns
    8105m track length (racing line)
    22m height difference (highest vs. lowest point)
    Current version: 0.132 (Nov 11, 2017)
    laptimes:
    > Japanese supracar: ~3:22
    > German topless S: ~3:14
    > Italian superfast road car: ~2:55
    > German GT3 star: ~2:42
    > Italian modern F1: ~2:08
    trackmap.jpg

The real location

[​IMG]

map.JPG

The challenges of making a fantasy track

The track doesn't exist and never did, which means I've been havin to invent everything myself. This includes the layout, which took months by itself, but also the look of the track itself (asphalt textures, grass / sand next to the track, transistions, etc.), curbs, painting on the track, walls, guardrails, barriers, fences, pit buildings, grand stands, bridges, etc. -- Making all of this up from scratch and giving it a look that just "fits" and creates the impression that this place could exist in reality is a lot of work and requires lots of experimenting. Unfortunately I can't just go there and take pictures for reference for the 3d models (or look at youtube videos), outside of the landscape itself (which I did).

Feedback!

All this is also why I very much appreciate detailed feedback or ideas about stuff that might still look a little out of place. For example, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the center pit building (the one with the large glass windows where the podium would go), I could use some input/ ideas for the currently non-existent "flag waver's hut" at start / finish, and I'm not sure about the design of the first long bridge (before turn 3). Or basically anything else that sticks out to you as being unrealistic or unfitting. You could also bring ideas for details that I could include on the track, like flag poles, loudspeakers for the grand stand (ideally with an idea about where to put them, maybe even with pictures from similar real race tracks as reference).

Support the project

If you want to support me and this project:
    (1) Please subscribe to my youtube channel and leave a like for the videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDwQS9jigomkBBRh6tV5GRQ
    (2) Be active in this thread and take part in the discussions
    (3) If you want to do even more, you can donate to this address via PayPal:
    donations at leonsuetfeld dot com
    (4) Another way of supporting me would be to help me get in touch with companies that might be interested in placing ads on the track, possibly for something in return. I know I already got a few ideas from you guys (and I did reach out to them), but the more the merrier :)

Screenshots

(may not entirely reflect the current state / look of the track at all times)
    __10.jpg __18.jpg __17.jpg __19.jpg __31.jpg __30.jpg __29.jpg

Videos (new to old)

(flyover version 0.130)
    (unveil)
    (update + Blender tutorial on vertex normal modification)

Schedule
    I'm hoping to finish most of the visuals for 1.0 by the end of November. Beta-testing and taking care of the physical meshes, cameras, AI-line etc. will begin right after that, so probably in early December. I'm trying to get a release ready foor Christmas eve.

Best,
    Leon

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 16
    • Love Love x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. AccAkut

AccAkut

Ratings:
    +884
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    Yeah I've been on and off this project for years. I recently revisited the place to take pictures for textures and I think it shows :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter

Ratings:
    +96
    Oh my, I actually forgot about this project :laugh: I liked the OP but didn't make the connection in my head.
    What you show in the video looks very nice to my amateurish eyes already. Good luck and all the motivation you need to finish the track. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    Being so close to the finish line is probably what keeps me motivated the most. My to do list is only about one A4 page long currently :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. RasmusP

RasmusP
    AC Stuff and G27 help Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +781
    I fell in love with those bridges! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thiago Moya

Thiago Moya

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice work mate, seems very good.

Please, give to us a link to do a paypal donation for your effort. :)

• Wow Wow x 1
  8. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks Thiago! My PayPal mail address for "gifts" is:

donations at leonsuetfeld dot com

(no spaces, at is @ and dot is . obviously -- I'd like mail address grabbing bots to overlook this one ;-))
    Any support is of course greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

9. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    update: grandstand improved, pitlane finished, starting lights improved, couple minor fixes
    __01.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
  10. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    update: improved grass texture, started adding 3d grass -- boy is this some tedious work! the grass alone will probably take a week or more to do properly. But I think it looks really good?!
    __06.jpg

• Love Love x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1
  11. AccAkut

AccAkut

Ratings:
    +884
    • Haha Haha x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  12. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    I could use some advice: Instead of the currently displayed Logos on the Track (Yokohama, Volvo, etc.) I think it would be cool to get in touch with companies from the sim racing world and put up their logos. For this I'd be interested to hear which companies you've had pleasant communication with. So far I'm thinking Kunos, Heusinkveld and GT Omega. Alternatively, Swedish companies with connections to the automotive industry. There is lots of space for banners :)

13. AccAkut

AccAkut

Ratings:
    +884
    I wouldn't go overboard with "virtual" companies, like on original Kunos Highlands it may just look "wrong" or too artificial (like NFS Shift track plastered with EA advertising), better opt for more of those swedish companies.

But about sim companies, these guys probably won't say no to a free ad on your track https://www.facebook.com/fitechmotorsport/ ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Shap

Shap

Ratings:
    +41
    That has more to do with repetitive usage of one brand than the type of brand.

http://www.v-racing.se/content/home/Home.php

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé

Ratings:
    +128
    I believe Lemax tried it on one of his tracks, offering 'real' advertising. Good idea if you ask me, not sure if it worked out in the end though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    I agree. As long as the logo is professional-looking and it isn't too repetitive I think it's fine.

V-Racing looks interesting, unfortunately their logo doesn't look all that good IMO. But I think I'll get in touch. Fi Tech as well, and their logo looks quite good.

Thanks and keep em coming :)

17. LilSki

LilSki
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,538
    Make sure you utilize the variation texture. Looks unnatural without it.

18. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    Hey LilSki, nice seeing you around here. Thanks for the advice, and I will take another look at it (there's one in there but I may not be using it to its full potential yet). If you have more advice for me on how to improve the looks of the track I'm happy to hear it!

19. Shap

Shap

Ratings:
    +41
    This will be like a Le Mans circuit competitor? I don’t see this track working with a lot of cars because of the straights. Looks really nice and AI am looking forward.

20. LeonS

LeonS

Ratings:
    +130
    I'm not sure if it's suited for large multiclass-fields, I didn't make it with that in mind.
    Or what exactly do you mean by "Le Mans competitor"?