suzuka incident report

(TS186) Contact with Tom Watts - I entered spoon a bit hot and was a little wide. As described in the first post Tom decided to brake late and take the inside. Sadly, in order to hold the inside you can’t simply brake late, it just wasn’t going to happen in spoon, especially on lap 1. Tom apologised in his first post, and his apology is accepted. There are some lessons here however. It’s lap 1, we are on cold tyres , and we’re on spoon, it’s not an overtaking opportunity. My car was launched over the fence, lost front wing and suspension damage. I have to pit at the end of lap 1 and come out in 18[SUP]th[/SUP].

(TS628) Contact with Anthony Moufarrege - As I come around the final turn on lap 6 I meet Anthony M who is stationary across the racing line after making contact with the pit entry wall. I lose front wing and gain suspension damage. I’m also 5 metres past the pit entry. Though tempting, I continuing on for a whole lap.

(TS1466) Crazy pass on Vincenzo - . I reached Gaetano (5[SUP]th[/SUP]) and needed to go by him. He was at the same time trying to lap Vincenzo (14[SUP]th[/SUP]) who I was about to challenge for position. As I pulled into Vincenzo’s slipstream, he lifted to let Gaetano go by, I quickly went left onto the grass and managed to make the pass. My apologies, I think I should have been more patient here.

(TS1537) Contact with Gaetano – I was making a move up the inside on the hairpin. Sadly there was a small contact. I certainly had the corner but perhaps should have held it even tighter. I do apologise for the contact especially considering I was unlapping. I hope no damage was done, though I did see in the replay Gaetano came into the pits that lap, I do hope it was a scheduled stop.

(TS3854) Contact with Nicolas - I make a move on Valter in Spoon (after all I said earlier). I manage to make it stick without contact (though I think I am helped by the fact that he out brakes himself). In the second half of spoon Nic runs into the side of me. Reading his account I do understand how it happened, I was on the extreme right so he had every right to go up the inside, but I’m not sure I would describe it as a racing incident as he ran into the side of me while I maintained my line. I’m sent off track and lose out to Valter.

(TS3997) Contact with Nicolas - The following lap Nic and Valter touch in the final Chicane and I get a good run past Valter on the start of the straight. I go past Nic as well and take T1. In the esses I get slightly out of shape but hold it together. I have lost some speed. As we come to the next turn, Nic turns in on me and turns me around. Nic is right to say I was going slow, but I don’t think I slowed down suddenly, and I don’t think I was re-entering the racing line. I had the inside of the corner and he turned in. Nic did let me pass later in the lap which I appreciated but again, I don’t think I would call this a racing incident.

I’m keen to hear what people think of these incidents. I’m sure I wasn’t completely innocent, but I think we can all do a lot better. My race was completely compromised.

But I’ll get over it and I look forward to the next one.

Tim.

Thank you Tim for your detailed report :)

I think some people tend to forget the main purpose of the incident report. It is important to offer an appolegy, but in addition to that the main idea is to analyse the incident and figure out why it happened and how it should be avoided in the future. Also, we need to make sure that we all agree on the result of the incident analysis. If we leave an incident with a different idea of what went wrong, then there is no reason why this would not happen soon again.

I know it can be a bit time consuming to study an incident, make a video, post it and discuss it. However, the main point here is that one are not supposed to have heaps of (many) incidents, so when it first happends (and you are the guilty part), it should hurt so much that you would only be happy to put in the time needed for a thourough investigation.

To get this show on the road, or the train on the right track, I will offer my opinion on all the incidents (reported from Suzuka and Singapore) as objective and fair as I can. I do not care about the names behind the cars, I will only deliver my opinion on the incidents, so please do not take anything personal. I am not saying I am always right, so it is important that one comments my thoughts so we learn what everybody thinks. If there is a big differens in opinion we need to find out how to deal with that, and if we all agree then we are one step closer to a brighter future :) I hope you all get my point.

I will post my opinions on the incidents soon.

I just made a video to illustrate the 2 incidents between me and Tim :

In the first incident I made contact with Tim when we were side by side. I was understeering and not accelerating when there was contact (that I didn't felt, btw). I thought I left enough room for him at the moment, but now I don't know. Maybe I was too aggressive, and this was uncessary because he would have passed me in the straight anyway, since I had a lot more wings.

In the second incident it's clear I'm to blame and I should have slowed down before my usual braking spot. Sorry Tim.

Thanks Nic. The video is helpful. The first one looks a lot more gentle on your replay than mine! You make a very good point about you having high wings and me having very low. This meant I was very quick on the straights and was able to make passes well, it did however mean that I was slow through the esses and probably braking a lot earlier for many corners than those on higher wings.

This is an important decision for all of us to consider at a track like Suzuka. If you chose a setup which has high wing it's very likely that you will need to back off as you follow a car with a different setup through the slow sections.

I think these two incidents are sorted. (Though we welcome any more thoughts!)

no incidents to report in my race.

the first incident with tim and nic id say racing incident, it looks like nic has plenty of room to pass and looks to me that there may be a small sync issue thats happened lots of times, the way tims car bounces off from pretty much no contact makes me think this was more a glitch than accident, plus, id have tried to overtake tim there too, he was really slow and there was huge amounts of room.

second incident is just as nic says, his fault, hes admitted it, just a bad mistake these things happen.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 272 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 183 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 182 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 134 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 241 13.5%