Superstars V8 Racing

Ive had a 3 lap race... You can tell its made by the same people as SBK 09 as all the menus are very simular.
Seems to be an average game, I only had a joypad to test it but it was OK to drive really. Sandtraps dont really slow the cars down much so I bet its interesting online :p
I dont think I will be buying it anytime soon, once its in the bargain bin I may get it to pass a bit of time.

Sorry to double-post but I wanted to give my impressions on the game for anyone that's interested.

Demo gives access to a quick race at Portimao with any car you like. Reaslim includes tyre wear, car damage, ABS, TC etc. Laps up to 14 I think and wet or sunny weather setting, as well as grid place choice. 4 or 5 difficulty settings from easy to legendary.

Start with the starts. Actually really good compared to a lot of games. Playing on hard I didn't find I could overtake everyone in to turn 1 like other games, might change at tracks with tighter first corners but I think they did a good job here. Unfortunately no lights, a countdown 3,2,1 though you have to change into gear there's no tension because you know exactly when you will be going.

The driving lies somewhere between arcade and sim. You can certainly tell they are used to bikes, the handling isn't quite up to scratch. Even with ABS off I didn't manage to lock up the brakes at all. I like the way the cars feel pretty unstable at high speeds and it's easy to lose control if you're not careful. One of the best parts in the tyre wear, which seems to be scaled, so even on a 5 lap race the tyre indicator was yellow and I could drastically feel the change in performance. To start I was really hammering around the track but the last couple laps got increasingly tough. Whether aggressive driving aggrevates tyre wear I don't know.

One positive is the fact there on 19 cars on track. I really enjoyed battling in the midfield, even if I did only finish 10th it was exciting stuff. The Ai is pretty competitive and I was surprised by how quick they were to overtake me when the oppurtunity arose. A big problems is that the views are pretty bad right now. 2 exterior views no problems there. 1 hood, 1 go-kart style low to the ground. The hood view is terrible, really high up, like driving a van rather than a race car. Plus there's no control to look left and right like there is on the exterior views so it's difficult to keep track of your opponents. Another negative is the AI on lower difficulties, it feels like they chose to slow the cars down on just 2 corners. So at the fast sweeper at the end they are really slow and you could overtake 2 or 3 at one time. And coming into turn 1 they braked far too early, even at the start line. There were no problems on the highest difficulty level though.

It's easy to see why this is the series they chose to start car games, with a lot of crossover tracks from SBK. But it's clear there's always going to be a lack of content, not too many tracks and the single set of cars. So for me this will all come down to price, I'll keep an eye on it because I really did enjoy racing amongst 19 cars on a console for the first time in ages.

• Oli Bellamy

its not really arcadey, its just arcadey, its no where near as bad as GRID or NFS Undercover and considering its Milestone's first ever car game i think they've done a damn good job
Didnt they make that Evolution GT for the PS2 some time ago along with Black Bean?

I didn't see this thread but I have posted some impressions over at the thread in the other PC games section.

As I said there I'm keeping an eye on it, all comes down to price really considering the lack of content. I'd like to see rolling starts and weight penalties but not sure that's going to be in the game and I'm not sure the multiplayer support will be well supported.

look's really nice and sence of speed is ok ... but all in all its crap.. something for my kids to play and they would enjoy it really
to grid like for me and not enough sim even when you turn all aids off
played it safe on the audience i thinks !! :wink2:

Uhh, this was disappointing. First there is no 1280*1024 resolution (I have 5:4 LCD monitor) and it handled other resolutions pretty badly, so I had to start it in window mode. Then I couldn't configure my wheel for it. Needed to restart after that cause up arrow didn't work in the menus (no mouse, ehh). Clearly this is like a console version... The graphics in my opinion isn't that much good, it's a bit dark and if you see Grid this is pretty ugly compared to it! About gameplay, it feels like a 10 year old (or even older) arcade game. And the car damage doesn't work btw, I saw no difference when I turned it on.

OK still it's playable, but there are so many much better arcade games out there that I don't really know what's the purpose of this. (and it's definitely not a sim.)

Superstars V8 Racing Website Launched

Blackbean Games have launched the website for Superstars V8 Racing, just one day after the pc demo became available and 1 week from release. Also showing this wasnt intended to be a sim by putting this as the slogan

V8 Power.Simulation Quality.Arcade Fun

In the meantime you can download the pc demo here: Speedmaniacs

[B]www.superstarsv8racing.com[/B]

Attachments

• ssv8.jpg
    ssv8.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 274
How Embarrising

Here's a short list of devices that are supported by SUPERSTARS® V8 RACING:

# LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE
# LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE EX/RX
# LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE PRO
# LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL
# LOGITECH DRIVING FORCE GT
# Microsoft Xbox 360 Racing Wheel
# Saitek R660 GT Motorsport Force Feedback
# Saitek R440 Force Feedback Wheel

KNOWN ISSUES:
SUPERSTARS® V8 RACING doesn't support LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL's pedals, please disconnect
them and use the buttons on the steering wheel.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back