Super Touring 98 Mod

Any more feedback regarding the beta?
Hope to finish this version soon. I would also like to add post '99 specs to the L4 cars, but it would take some time to remodel and remap front wheel arches and find a way to use it with the genstrings. I guess that will be added in the next version.

That would be great, the Renault and the Volvo in particular looked much more aggressive in 1999 when they made that change.

Finally got some time to test the beta. I've really enjoyed a lot of 5-lap races with each of the packs, but there seem to be some small glitches/issues. Of course there are many many new positive things to say, but I don't want to destroy the public thrill of anticipation :roflmao:
  • All skinpacks don't work anymore because of the great changes to files and structure (obviously).
  • Cars from the "pre" packs turn over in fast corners. The AI has no problem with this though. See screenshot No. 1 as an example (Vauxhall there, but every car from the packs shows the same behavior).
  • Some of the 1st person cameras in cockpit are off center. See screenshot No. 2 for example.
  • Cars from the "pre" packs slightly steer to the left, like with the STCC2015 before the patch.
Screenshot No. 1

Screenshot No. 2

Very strange this turn left thing. I haven't noticed any problems myself. The flip over thing will only occur at faster corners than I have raced at I think. Probably have to lower the point of gravity a little. I didn't found the problem in the stcc 2015, but when I restarted with a 'new' file the problem was gone.

I think the flip over problem is already solved (It was a steering geometry thing to change the way the wheels were turning, but it seems like it fooled the game the physical wheel track was narrower).
I also think the steering problem is caused by toe in setting combined with a little steering damage.
First I didn't plan to do it now, but I have added '99 -> wheel arches and steer lock to L4 cars.

capture_2016-10-02_12-26-37.jpg

I have never liked these '99 wheel arches - to me they just look ugly - but cars from the corresponding seasons never felt right with the old-style ones, so it is great to see them implemented. Would it be too much work to also add this: http://imgur.com/a/ajKJa ? For some reason the latter BMW body looks very different from the 93-95 version but this is the only detail that is obvious to me. Does anybody see other differences?

I have never liked these '99 wheel arches - to me they just look ugly - but cars from the corresponding seasons never felt right with the old-style ones, so it is great to see them implemented. Would it be too much work to also add this: http://imgur.com/a/ajKJa ? For some reason the latter BMW body looks very different from the 93-95 version but this is the only detail that is obvious to me. Does anybody see other differences?
Would love the mondeo hatch. Just me being picky.

Just added the new 1.7 version and i have to say looking through all the cars in the car selection, Andreas you have done an excellent job, however, when trying the '92 cars on track(first lot i tried), i got a CTD. What coursed it i don't know, i'm guessing the 405 again but not sure for certain.

It wasn't a clash of mods, as i don't have any add-on cars or tracks in game, just the base game with all the SIMBIN expansion packs, to make sure the Mod could run smoothly.

Edit: Just tried the '92 cars again with out the 405 and it's running smoothly, yet when i run the 405 on it's own with either Ai or me driving it, it runs fine. Soon as i add it back with the other '92 cars i get a CTD. :confused:

Last edited:
That is very strange... I have had no problem with the 405 myself.
When do the game crash? When loading the track or when driving the car?

When driving the car. Goes down the pit lane ok but will CTD at random places on the track. I had this problem in the last version with the 405 as well.

Also why trying out the '94 cars, all the Ai cars are rolling over when hitting the larger kerbs.

Attachments

• 20161010121452_1.jpg
    20161010121452_1.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 20161010121431_1.jpg
    20161010121431_1.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 20161010121511_1.jpg
    20161010121511_1.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I wonder if the ctd has something to do with a texture animation? Is it possible the game crashes when the car backfires, brakes or the wheels change texture at highter speed? The flip over at high kerbs is difficult. I have driven the cars at british tracks, and had no problem. Maybe the kerbs wasn't high enought. There are very little spring travel for obvious reasons. Of course its possible to lower the center of gravity, but it feels unrealistic to me.

I wonder if the ctd has something to do with a texture animation? Is it possible the game crashes when the car backfires, brakes or the wheels change texture at highter speed? The flip over at high kerbs is difficult. I have driven the cars at british tracks, and had no problem. Maybe the kerbs wasn't high enought. There are very little spring travel for obvious reasons. Of course its possible to lower the center of gravity, but it feels unrealistic to me.

Not sure. It's a strange one, as i've not had a CTD for the past hour, even when driving the 405 at a number of tracks:speechless:

As for the cars rolling i'm finding it entertaining :p

The game crashes for me too when I drive a 405. It consistently happens within a second or two after the race is commenced.

What I have tried is commented out various parts of the car in the CAS file, and it just so happens that the crashes completely disappear when I remove PEUGEOT_405_HEADLIGHT_FL.gmt and PEUGEOT_405_HEADLIGHT_FR.gmt. I compared these with some other cars' headlights (known to not cause a crash) and the differences I noticed were Fresnel shader and specular power of 50 on 405's headlights while the others have plain "t1 diffuse" and spec=1. I updated the material and the crashes do not occur anymore - although I have not given it a proper out and out testing. I wonder how this could be related to the fact whether the car is driven by the player or not and why it isn't reproducible for everybody. Could this be some hardware or video card driver bug?

SVP, could you try and comment out lines 207 and 214 in GameData\Teams\Super Touring Reloaded\Peugeot 405 Teams\405.cas and see if it makes any difference for you?

SVP, could you try and comment out lines 207 and 214 in GameData\Teams\Super Touring Reloaded\Peugeot 405 Teams\405.cas and see if it makes any difference for you?

Before trying the fix, i did just as you did and it stopped the game crashing. Strange, which will explain why i was crashing, as i do turn on the lights as soon as i join the track. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the answer Nebehr :)
here is a fix that hopefully will fix the problem:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6zi4egt5xyo9e5z/peugeot_405_headlight.zip

Thank you for the Fix :thumbsup:

Just a small suggestion. Perhaps it makes sense to separate front and rear wheels in the genstring, which could be useful when/if somebody does aerodiscs for some cars.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.2%