sun position in rFactor ??

heya folks...

im at a loss, how on earth do you change the position of the sun when opening the track in rfactor??

ive played around with the .scn file (not honestly knowing what i was doing, but just tweaking numbers to see what they did) and it made zero appreciable difference?

my track is very terrain dependent for atmosphere, and 12o'clock bright sun flattens out the depth ive spent a long time creating. sure you can leave the game on for a few hours and wait for the sun to move, but that sucks...

ideas?

also, as a side note also .scn related, i tried using fog (different colours and distances etc) to try and simulate extreme heat/haze in a dry open farmland type environment. it works ok, but is there another way im missing?

cheers
ed

Off the top of my head, I think it's the GDB file that lets you set latitude (and track details displayed in the info box, like length & location, instead of the BTB default of 0.1 mile in Australia), which should affect the height of the sun.

You can make small adjustments in the gdb file,(*) but in some cases You will have to rotate the entire track :(

------------------------------------*.gdb---------------------------------------
Latitude = 45,4 // degs from Equator (range: -90 to 90, positive is Northern Hemisphere)
NorthDirection = 340 // the direction of North in degrees (range: 0 to 359)
RaceDate = March 21 // default date for the race
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Here You have a person that has quite all the answers about "geo positioning" :
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/member.php?u=62059

Another option is to "bake-in" some shadowing. I wouldn't change the color as the rendering engine takes care of that by time, but adding minimal shadows to help out the relief is a fairly normal tactic for things like banners/flags, so why not terrain?

thanks fellas... didnt see the lat/long/north quantities before. seems my track was sitting on the equator and racing was at midday! now sitting in sydney, facing the right way, and racing is at 4pm

shadows and terrain now look fantastic :)

cheers
ed

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 376 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%