DiRT Rally Suddenly DR forgets my Controller Settings.

I have had DR from the first day it went on sale and I have read of people having issues with saving the controller settings, but it never happened to me.
Today I went to drive and I realized that all my settings were zeroed out. I figured it was some patch they released.

However, since then every time I quit the game and open it again, most of my controller settings are forgotten and I have to remap all mys and axis.
I basically go back to keyboard driving.

Nothing has changed on my side. Same old controllers (T500, TM H-shifter, etc.) but on DR side all sort of things get forgotten.

Even during the game, it forgot my setup, not all of it, but just the gearing.

Once I exited, restarted and by restarting using the T500 wheel button to "enter" the game (Instead of using the enter key on my keyboard) it did remember I had a Thrustmaster wheel and it was setup for it instead of going to keyboard controller, but all my custom keys and my pedals were forgotten. No clutch, etc.

Is there a trick to make it behave like it used to? Or am I condemned to resetting my controllers every time I play?

You didn't remap the <Esc> key by any chance? I remember having this same problem (with a Fanatec set tho) and not remapping <Esc> fixed it for me. It should be OK to remap the other stuff to buttons AFAIK.

EDIT: I checked this in the game just now and it's actually the Pause function you're not supposed to remap. Sorry, my mistake mixing up esc and pause... :redface:

Last edited:
do you unplug the wheel before you leave the game? if i do that, it will "forget" the settings for the wheel (it probably jumps to keyboard the moment it detects a controller missing and keeps that setting for the next session). if i keep it plugged , exit the game and then unplug the wheel, everything is fine.

Got it 2 weeks ago, it was a frustrating setting up the controls with DFGT + G27 pedals an shift.
I was loosing my setup using the keyboard to Enter an Esc, had to Google to find what the hell was going on :confused:
Reinstalled now have all buttons on wheel. I'm sure the presets work, but for combo's CM don't seem to have the config's :whistling:

I've had the game for about three weeks, and have been through the same menu / controller frustrations. I think I'm more comfy now, finally getting used to the main buttons.
Re the loss of Controller settings, I've also been having this one.
I have a standard G27 setup, but I've added a separate G25 Shifter (sequential) to use as the Handbrake. I found that every time I started the game but forgot to plug in the G25 Shifter, my G27 profile was lost and the game reverted to keyboard. If I plug in the G25 Shifter first, no problems, the profile is always remembered.
I also found out very early, don't change the default button for "Pause". This also results in a loss of the Profile.
I've enabled the Mouse control in the main menu, which is helpful for some of the menu activations.
Unfortunately, the game's menu controls are not particularly user friendly to PC users, but I'm still very impressed with the overall game. I'm now finding it just as enjoyable as RBR, even better in some areas.:)

I solved the remapping issue by avoiding the pause button, but DR still crashes at start. I found a fix for that too though. Set DR to run as administrator. That means I have to set Xpadder to run as admin as well or my mappings won;t work, but I am back driving rather than watching the game crash and remapping all my controls the few times it started.

I've suffered the same issue with both my Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheel setups, but I think I found the solution to your problems. I read this on another forum (don't remember which so I can credit the original author) but make sure you are connected to Racenet and when you map your wheel buttons, go to the profile settings and save your profile progress.

I have the same problem.
I recently started playing Dirt now and then again, however whenever I start it up it forgets my settings and I have to choose that I want manual + clutch and also sequential shifting ....once I change that I have to redo all binds. :poop:

I don't use the keyboard to pass the welcome screen, I did not remap Pause.
I use a T300 with a SHH Shifter, both connected via USB2.
Does anyone know where Dirt safes the config files for the controller? The stuff in %USER%\My Games\Dirt Rally\ is empty.

EDIT: I am playing with the Rift now

Last edited:
sry, no idea. for me, the problem never quite got away, happened once every six weeks or so with my g27. does not happen at all in Dirt4, though.
Well for me currently it happens at every launch. I already Verified Integrity of Game Files via Steam but that did not help.
I will probably trash the Dirt Rally folder in My Documents and see if a fresh profile will help.

Yep, that did not help ...
Gonna contact the support now, this is unacceptable. I can understand a crash now and then but this just hinders me from playing the game.

I have a G27 and was getting that problem at first.
When you load the game, at screen where it says start or enter, press a button on your controller. If you press say enter on your keyboard it will undo your controller settings.

I have a G27 and was getting that problem at first.
When you load the game, at screen where it says start or enter, press a button on your controller. If you press say enter on your keyboard it will undo your controller settings.
I don't press enter on my keyboard, I actually only use my wheel also to navigate the settings.

one of the oddities of Dirt4: you cannot use controller and keyboard at the same time, it forces you to do either the one or the other. i usually have some commands on the keyboard because i find it easier to memorize a letter than the position of a button on the g27 shifter.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%