Subaru WRX manual or are there better vehicles?

My BMW's engine died, so I need to replace it with a new car.

Anyway, I managed to earn some Social Security benefits, and my Mom is given supplemental income every month, so, by a number of months, I hope to find myself driving a car I like.

My top choice is a Subaru WRX standard shift.

If that is not ideal, I may go to the next car on my list: Mitsubishi Lancer

I really hate that France does not market their cars in the United States, and, perhaps, much of North America, otherwise, I would have gone with a Renault Clio if I knew I could fit in (my height is 1.83 m, BTW)

Post your thoughts on this.

If a Subaru WRX is what you like, then that's what you should get. Lancer is a good alternative.

Are you buying new or used? Depending on what kind od budget you have you might even be able to pick up a STI. Are Lancer Evolution 8's available where you live?

After I sold my BMW I thought about a few cars one being a 2010 STI but ended up chosing the truck because of the size, just safer to move the little one around in and the brute power it has too lol!

A used 2010 STI goes for around $30000 up here, The truck was offered to me by Pauline's father for $27000, @ $10000 cheaper than what people are selling their 08 SRT8s for so couldn't pass it up.

I think Mr Abidi is too tall, might have to drive either with no seat or with the top down all the time and strap a umbrella to his headrest when it rains :roflmao:

2011subaruimprezawrx5.jpg

Like this one? :thumbsup:

(my height is 1.83 m, BTW)
With that height you fit in any European or Japanese car without issues. I am 2.01 m and I yet need to come across a car I don't fit in :) I think Xose is about the same size as me (bit smaller) and he fits in his new Fiat Abarth 500 without issues (i hope)

Personally I find the Sub WRX a disgusting car to see on public roads. Judging that it looks dont fit anything else than rally with such a hideous wing on the trunk :) The sound and the engine however are typical Subaru. Love it or hate it.

If you love it get it. Buying the car of your dreams gives an exceptional feeling :thumbsup:

With that height you fit in any European or Japanese car without issues. I am 2.01 m and I yet need to come across a car I don't fit in :) I think Xose is about the same size as me (bit smaller) and he fits in his new Fiat Abarth 500 without issues (i hope)

Personally I find the Sub WRX a disgusting car to see on public roads. Judging that it looks dont fit anything else than rally with such a hideous wing on the trunk :) The sound and the engine however are typical Subaru. Love it or hate it.

If you love it get it. Buying the car of your dreams gives an exceptional feeling :thumbsup:

My deepest, as well as sincerest apologies for my way-delayed reply, but, when I was a teenager, my father bought me a '96 Toyota Corolla (Marketed in Japan under a different name; sold in Europe under the same name as NA); I was crammed inside that car, I was cramped after every drive.

I showed my father the Subaru Impreza WRX, and he had more of a "meh" reaction; that reaction was boldfaced when he heard of the understeer of Subarus, but, with FWD/4WD, understeer is predominant.

I showed my father the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (aka the car of my favourite WRC driver, Tomi Makinen), and, my father was coloured impressed. I hope I can save up US$35,000 in a couple of years.

The Subaru is awfully understeery on a track, both at high speed and slow speed. Ankward in tough terrains aswell.

The Evo is greatly balanced everywhere, muuuuuch better car and 4WD system.

The only reason most people like Subbies better is because either of the Boxer engine or the instant WRC feel of the car.

Just one thing, don't just settle for something that you might not be happy with in the long run.

Also what is the used car market for Lancers like in Alabama? Any older Evo's around? The 97 Evo IV i'm going to maybe buy is $9400 and the 93 Evo GSR is $5000. I see 97/98 STI's for @ $7000 but i rather have a Evo.

Mazdaspeed 3. All the turbocharged 6 speed fun you can take for $24k. If you can handle a little torque-steer due to all that power up front, you'll love it. It's all about the G's, and this car can do it. (Side note, I've always been a fan of the WRX's as well, though not the STI's - liked them best a few years back with the smaller hood scoop).

With that height you fit in any European or Japanese car without issues. I am 2.01 m and I yet need to come across a car I don't fit in :)

My grandpa owns a 1987 / 1988 (not sure) BMW 5 series, I don't fit in - opening the sunroof is the workaround, looks quite hilarious. 1.91m btw. :)

@Mohammed Abidi How about a Citroen DS3? They're great as well, if you can get ahold of one in the US.

My grandpa owns a 1987 / 1988 (not sure) BMW 5 series, I don't fit in - opening the sunroof is the workaround, looks quite hilarious. 1.91m btw. :)

@Mohammed Abidi How about a Citroen DS3? They're great as well, if you can get ahold of one in the US.

Are you suggesting importing the car? I will have to learn a few French words and learn to convert from km/h to mph, seamlessly.

Besides, there are slight differences with the U.S. and U.K. miles.

Just one thing, don't just settle for something that you might not be happy with in the long run.

Also what is the used car market for Lancers like in Alabama? Any older Evo's around? The 97 Evo IV i'm going to maybe buy is $9400 and the 93 Evo GSR is $5000. I see 97/98 STI's for @ $7000 but i rather have a Evo.

Sorry for double posting, but, according to the Alabama site al.com, here is a Lancer Evolution all the way up in Huntsville, which is about 4.5 hours from my locale:

http://autos.al.com/used_cars/style/all/mitsubishi_lancer-evolution

I may look into a Mazdaspeed.

Are you suggesting importing the car? I will have to learn a few French words and learn to convert from km/h to mph, seamlessly.

Besides, there are slight differences with the U.S. and U.K. miles.

Well, no. I meant if you can buy one the easy way in the US, like from a dealer. :)

The Citroen DS3 do not meet U.S/Canada safety standards therefore not easily importable to the U.S or Canada. I like those cars as well but "IF" they were readily available a 2011 would cost almost $40000 U.S. Pretty expensive imo, Mohammed would be better off with a Evo X or even a 2004 to 2008 Corvette or a E39 M5 for that matter.

Also parts for the DS3 are not readily available and will be expensive to ship, that is if you even had one of those cars in the U.S.

I just threw the Vette and the M5 in as a example of what he can get for @ $31/32k or you probably can find a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 in Alabama for @ $11/12k, 2010's can be found for @ $22/24k. Brand new ones go for @ $30k.

Mohammed, that Evo X on the add is pretty nice!:thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years