Stuttgart stampede to pole in WEC Silverstone qualifying

Seb Scott

Formula 1 Reporter
No_ 17 Porsche Racing Porsche 919 Hybrid.jpg

Porsche have locked out the first two positions in the starting lineup for the WEC season opener in Silverstone, just ahead of the defending champion No. 8 Audi.

Both Porsche 919 Hybrids qualified ahead of the competition this afternoon with the duo from 'Down Under' Mark Webber and Brendon Hartley. The pair took pole position in the No.17 car, however they did use an extra set of tyres, which could effect race pace tomorrow. Their two lap average of 1m39.721s was enough to stay in front of the No.18 car of Neel Jani and Romain Dumas by 0.619s.

The No. 8 Audi qualified in 3rd followed by 2014 world champions Kazuki Nakajima and Anthony Davidson who only managed to qualify 4th. No. 7 Audi and No. 6 Audi rounded out the top 6.

After the qualification I had time to sit down with both Brendon Hartley and Anthony Davidson. Find the full interviews below on RaceDepartment's Soundcloud.

Brendon Hartley Interview

Anthony Davidson Interview

Good job Scott, loving all the interview soundbites straight from the drivers. :thumbsup:

Hearing Anthony Davidson being so cheeky in that clip by rubbing it in our faces that he gets to drive these glorious machines as a racing driver that us engineers can only dream about in a clever backhand sort of way made me chuckle. :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 292 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 198 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 259 13.5%