Resource icon

Cameras Stunning / True to Life Cockpit 2.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
This is great :thumbsup:

I wanted to know if the cockpit view in this mod is just like real life or not ? The movements are amazing it would be nice to have that real cockpit view i think its low compared to default view. The real view combined with the movements will be just perfect.Love the mod :)

Mod looks okay ...

But the problem is the helmet movement ... its little too late ... can u fix that (or make me a seperate mod) so the movements are around 0.3 sec earlier?

AfaIk the movement is controlled by the cornering forces so until you start going into a corner then there are no forces to move the head, this is not a real "look to apex" but you can always turn in a bit to early and the smoothing parameter will try to keep the head in that position until you'll actually go into that corner - if you know what I mean.

This is great :thumbsup:

I wanted to know if the cockpit view in this mod is just like real life or not ? The movements are amazing it would be nice to have that real cockpit view i think its low compared to default view. The real view combined with the movements will be just perfect.Love the mod :)

I know it looks a bit high in some cars but I'm pretty sure that it's just an illusion because when you go into a camera file and you'll change "DisableDriverHead" from true to false + you'll decrease the "nearPlane" parameter then you can see the helmet from the cockpit view and the camera is pretty much behind the visor. But I didn't test all cars like this.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Good work, but a couple of things:

1. The cockpit cam is too high to be realistic. Same gripe I have with the built-in stock cockpit cam.
2. The bumps and shakes are actually distracting and terrible. Some may like it, but in all honesty it's wayyyy too pronounced for me.
3. The 'almost static' cams are moving more than some other cockpit move cams in full go. Is there a chance to have a version that is like 50-60% (at least) tuned down?

If you do not want to then that is cool with me. It's your mod mate. But asking does not hurt. :)

P.S.: As for 1.....i mean low as in this one http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/closer-cockpit-camera.75223/

@hazy Truly awesome camera, i think it is the best one yet. I personally use the minimal moves one and it looks perfect. There is a small problem, although the camera shake is very life like it makes gaming very difficult, at 50% or 100% races it causes headaches. If you could reduce the shaking to a bare minimum it would be more enjoyable gaming wise.
All my best

I can't believe no one on this forum has thought about what I am about to say:

Is there any way to mod the cameras.xml to be able to use the exterior trackside view (like in replays) but while driving? Doing burnouts around Monaco and checking the high quality car models would be amazing.

Someone said it before, but I am not sure if it was you .... :unsure:

Anyway, these questions are for the modding questions thread here

This thread is for this mod

EDIT: Yes it was you ....... you have just received a public warning (in another thread) for spamming this same stuff in 6 threads

Last edited:
w00t, awesome mate :D Congrats!

The closest one to this video I've tested until now! :)

I hate to burst the bubble but the real driver in that video does not see that fish eye view.

That is a 12mm lens on a GOPRO HD used to capture a wide angle to make the video more impressive. A real person sitting there sees more like 40mm lens, so much less wide field of view.

If a real driver had to drive looking out of that fisheye lens they would get dizzy and probably crash.

PS: Real simmers know how to setup an FOV, using the cutout principle, look it up on google if you want.

Please do this for 2013 cars?

The previous version is for both - 80's and 2013 cars.

Ok, so I took notice of everything you guys said and decided to rework the mod completely.
Major changes:

- narrowed FOV
- limited cornering movement
- decreased shakes to about 1/3, but don't you worry shake lovers, I've added a new type of shakes, very tiny and quick to mimic all the bumps and dips in the track surface but without making things crazy and difficult to drive
- rechecked the camera vs visor position

y999.jpg

but this time for all cars and sure enough they were all wrong, now you can be sure that the camera is exactly where it's supposed to be.

And I have to admit, it's way better now, I really feel like I'm in the car.
Although Williams FW07B looks pretty weird now, can't see any of the wheels.

I decided to cut this mod down to two versions because the normal one should now suite everyone who was using this mod, except people using the almost static version.

As usual, my favorite, that is the 80's cars are first and the 2013 cars tomorrow + the almost static version that will actually be almost static. :p

mq1b.jpg

Last edited:
I like this Newer version, real eye level cam..but classic cars do not sit that low like todays cars.

Finally!

This is what I was trying to say in my post above. Almost all players set their FOV like an arcade game, much too wide. Like a fish eye view seeing everything.

You see here that a real F1 driver sees about 40mm of wide angle. (In reality the view for the driver is a slight amount narrower than even this video).

If you want realism you need to read this:

Mod edit - removed link directly into competitor's forum

Driving feels so much more natural to people who have actually driven single seaters when the FOV is correct.

I mean this makes me laugh out loud:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/358/74593182.jpg

And this is 100% correct:

People just need to flip the sim switch. Same goes for using a realistic 330degree steering lock, but don't get me started on that.

Basically I feel that people use very unrealistic settings which they think is realistic because that is what they are used to from video games, and when they use a realistic setting they say it is undriveable. (in fact they are undrivers!)

Last edited by a moderator:

In this Redbull video from 0.54 - 1.02 it shows some recreated representation of the driver's view.

Nah, that's really not a driver's view. In terms of vids showing the correct height etc, the Kubica one is the closest (only slightly off to the side). You can see that it is at eye level by the positioning relative to the visor when he pulls it down. Here:

Chris Stacey's "drivers eye cockpit cameras" are easily the closest to that on here imo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back