stuck on "populating favorites"

Hi guys, I am getting stuck on this loading "populating favorites" screen everytime my cars folder gets bigger than 132Gb. I have a huge amount of car mods available but I cant load all of them into the game. I have tried many suggestions but no luck so far. The only problem seems to be exactly the folder size...
Any ideas?

Thanks

Premise that I neved had your issue and my cars folder is 31GB with just a couple of modded cars.
Maybe you have tried yet, but you can rename the Assetto Corsa folder into your Documents to force AC to create a new one. (You'll lose your saved settings).
If that doesn't work try to:
  • load the game using Content Manager
  • extract some modded cars from your folder until the game starts (more likely it's some modded car that causes a mess. it could be the 2015 Mustang GT mod )
  • perform an integrity check with Steam
Cheers

Premise that I neved had your issue and my cars folder is 31GB with just a couple of modded cars.
Maybe you have tried yet, but you can rename the Assetto Corsa folder into your Documents to force AC to create a new one. (You'll lose your saved settings).
If that doesn't work try to:
  • load the game using Content Manager
  • extract some modded cars from your folder until the game starts (more likely it's some modded car that causes a mess. it could be the 2015 Mustang GT mod )
  • perform an integrity check with Steam
Cheers
yeah, I don't have any problems below 132Gb worth of car mods and I had already try all you said before but so far the only solution is to use Content Manager to run them all! I am prety sure that there is a limit on cars folder size to be loaded but It would be great if someone could check this and let us know.

Are you sure that's not some modded car to give problems?
yes, It happens regardless of the mod I remove from the folder. I mean it couldnt be a mod that is preventing the app from loading more than 132GB. I started to delete mods until the problem was solved but the culprit wasnt any specific mod because they all worked fine as long as the folder didnt exceed 132Gb.

Last edited:
If you want an official answer the best thing is to post your issue on the official forums. If there in fact is a hard limit to the size of the car folder they would let you know. I've never come across the problem but then again I've only found about 30 Gb of car mods worth keeping (all of them found here), the rest are not worth the time and effort, especially in terms of physics.

Allow me to disagree about the quality of the mods available in the web.
Assetto Corsa is not my choice if you're looking for good physics however it is indeed the best racing mod plataform out there! And I enjoy all the nearly 150Gb moded cars that deserve to be acessible on the original game lobby. There are so many great mods that I think I don't even drive the Kunos fleet anymore.

Allow me to disagree about the quality of the mods available in the web.
Assetto Corsa is not my choice if you're looking for good physics however it is indeed the best racing mod plataform out there! And I enjoy all the nearly 150Gb moded cars that deserve to be acessible on the original game lobby. There are so many great mods that I think I don't even drive the Kunos fleet anymore.

To each his own I guess.

Post your issue at assettocorsa.net and I'm sure you'll get a reply.

Pretty sure you've already figured it out. You found a clear solution which is repeatable.

I'd stop using the Kunos launcher along with the fleet if I were you. (Actually I'd also delete half those clown mods if I were you, but I'm not here to judge.) CM is purpose-made for people with a lot of mod content to, well, manage.

My content folder is around 50 GB. I've tried then deleted many tracks and cars that weren't up to, in my opinion, the quality standard of AC (graphically or physics wise). Why don't you post a listing of all of your tracks and cars so we can be enlightened ;)

If you wish to keep everything .... just use a mod manager.
Content Manager is not the only solution ... the well-known JSGME can do the trick as it does for most sims.
That's the one I'm using for years without any problem ( except enough place needed on HDD :D ).

When mods or tracks unactivated AC doesn't load them .... so, if your problem is your 150 Gb mods or tracks ... it may be solved this way if you wish to keep them all....

Personally, 62 Gb in JSGME MODS folder .... including mods, tracks, apps, graphic mods and skins ... but surely no more than 15 or 20 Gb activated among the 62 Gb available ( and I'm lazy because I'm sure 30 % of this lot might be erased :whistling: ).

Using this system for Race07, GTR2, Automobilista, RF1 and AC ..... ( RF2 doesn't need it as it has its own manager )... and never encountered a problem for years. .... ( once again except I'll have to buy a bigger HDD ... but no problem it's high time for a change ... 8 years old ! :roflmao::roflmao: ).

NB I think another manager ( AC specific ) allows to manage mods but giving the possibility of using another HDD for the install of all mods and tracks in place of one folder in the game itself with JSGME.

Last edited:
The choice of cars is personal so there is no point posting a list of my preferences but I can assure you that if I had not been selective I would have ended up with more than 200Gb. Also I don't want to disclose the sources because I am not sure its legit, but bare in mind a portion of the mods I have were purchased.

A bad 3rd party mod should not stop the initial loading to the main screen (you will however get an error message if there is a problem with the car skins 'ui_car.json' file).
The 'hung on populating favourites' error occurs when there are too many car mods in the cars folder - i've had this many times, just back up a bunch of cars you don't use that often and then delete them from the 'cars' folder or use content manager to swap them out.

it just happened to me and on my case it was a track, tor poznan, i'm not saying it's something wrong with the mod since but I remember I was trying to do some cameras and I got something wrong and I just left it. So I deleted the track and extracted again and it all worked

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%