Stock Car Extreme - Templates & Viewers

Renato Simioni

Reiza Studios
Last edited:
I'll have another look at Gimp, had a shot of it before but I was more comfortable with Paint.net, think with it being a bit more basic that helped.

We can always hook up on T/speak and ill can show you what i know.. (not much granted but it i may be able to prod you in the right direction).:sneaky:

I thought i had the windows sorted but just fallen flat on my face...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

they seem to be different to what im used to:redface::redface:

yep im struggling with windows too, don't really have any past skinning skills worthy of a mention. i can see that the windows (mini anyway, as that's the car i want to do some skins for) doesn't seem to have the alpha channel, it has the layers but no channel, i guess some googling/youtubing and i will stumble across what to do

Any idea what setting I should change on Paint.net to get rid of the shinyness? The screenshots below show the options I've got.

mhu2w8.jpg

n15tza.jpg

2eanyx2.jpg

Hi @Calum McLure im not to familiar with paint.net
but in the second picture i think you need the A8R8G8B8
reason for this is when i save in photoshop with dx5 its says ARGB 8bpp
as for the others i don't know but this may give you a start.
i would say keep them as default and then try each one..

you can always post me the unpacked version of your skin and ill save it to DDS format for you..
I can now also do the widow decals thanks to Jebus and Davy for there help.
so just send me the files and ill help where i can :)

im using this one for gimp CLICK ME

To install, extract these files to your GIMP plugins directory.
This directory is usually located at:
GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

also this is good for Gimp LayerFX .scm CLICK ME

this will give:
Drop Shadow
Inner Shadow
Outer Glow
Inner Glow
Bevel and Emboss
Satin
Color Overlay
Gradient Overlay
Pattern Overlay
Stroke

I use the dds plugin for Photoshop. To decrease the shine, I usually go to the alpha channel and darken either the entire image or just the part that I don't want to be shiny.

You could also do the opposite if you want to a shiny chrome effect and paint certain areas of your car grey and then make the same areas in the alpha channel white, later when you view your car in the game the grey areas of the car will suddenly look extremely shiny, like a sort of metallic chrome, but this mostly looks good on cars that have rounded body parts, because flat body parts just don't look as cool when light reflects against them.

Here's a video that shows how to paint metallic shiny flames on your car that reflect like a mirror. You can do the opposite of this to make certain parts of the car not shine at all.

A tip for those that want to make a metallic car, remember not to make your car decal "stickers" reflective in the alpha channel. Right click the decal layer and choose "select pixels" and and then go to your alpha channel and set those areas to be dark. this way the decals won't reflect, but the metallic car paint will.

Is there a step by step for making skins in GSC? I have a tutorial for GTR2 that seems rather similar (I have have made some skins for GTR2 some time ago) but there are some steps that are obviously different, such as the final compression. Seems to me GSC doesn't use the same compression scheme, but before I waste hours figuring it out it would be nice to have a short tutorial if one is available. Would a rFactor tutorial also work?

Things I am not sure about:

How to handle Mipmaps
How to make a flat black skin (if at all possible. I realize it may need to be done in the 3D program)
Various compression schemes
How to view progress.

Thank you kindly.

Is there a step by step for making skins in GSC? I have a tutorial for GTR2 that seems rather similar (I have have made some skins for GTR2 some time ago) but there are some steps that are obviously different, such as the final compression. Seems to me GSC doesn't use the same compression scheme, but before I waste hours figuring it out it would be nice to have a short tutorial if one is available. Would a rFactor tutorial also work?

Things I am not sure about:

How to handle Mipmaps
How to make a flat black skin (if at all possible. I realize it may need to be done in the 3D program)
Various compression schemes
How to view progress.

Thank you kindly.
Well when making skins to view progress I use a program called 3DS Max, I then open up the "Viewer 3D file" provided in one of the templates and then link my photoshop file in the materials menu. So when I change something in photoshop and save, I then render in 3DS max and the changes have been automatically updated in a 3D view.

In terms of compressing files once finished, their is a readme file in the templates which gives you a short step by step and the compression formats you need to use for each material.

Hope this helped.

Well when making skins to view progress I use a program called 3DS Max, I then open up the "Viewer 3D file" provided in one of the templates and then link my photoshop file in the materials menu. So when I change something in photoshop and save, I then render in 3DS max and the changes have been automatically updated in a 3D view.

In terms of compressing files once finished, their is a readme file in the templates which gives you a short step by step and the compression formats you need to use for each material.

Hope this helped.

Thank you. Is 3DS Max a free program or did you mistype 3D Max? If the latter, I am afraid I don't have it.

As far as the cars, I was looking at the .veh file and I was wondering what to do with the car number and the Pit number.; especially since I am making my skin for the Stock Car league and I suppose other drivers will have picked numbers that may be similar.

Also, each folder has 2 cars, but I only need one. Is it OK if I delete one car or do I have to create two of them?

One more thing: my windshield is not transparent. I guess the game has realized that I am so good that I don;t even need to look at the road, but just to stay safe I would rather be able to see through it.

In the NameWindshield.dds (or rather the photoshop original) I see there are 2 places to put the number in

Logo Alpha
and Logo (at least that's where I guess the art should go)

All I have done is place my number and name there, but the windshield and back window are opaque.

What do I have to do?

Use this two ones:

Windows and the Windshield.
The reason why its not transparant because the standard template has no underlayer.

The only thing you must do is put the number on the window and its underlayer.
When there are still problems i can help you to finish it.

Downloadlink:
GSC2013_Windows

Thank you so much for the replay. I attached two screenshots, one each for each window template. These are the layers in each template as I have downloaded them.

I have tried to place my "art" (Number and name) on various layers (where it says "logo here" but also free standing in the flow) and each time the window came out opaque. from both inside and outside.

I guess the part I am not understanding is the "Underlayer" and how to handle it.

This is the template for the window.dds

Window.jpg

And this is the one for the windshield

Windshield.jpg

Thank you again for the kind help.

PS: Any idea how to handle the numbers for the upcoming league? I am using 100 and 101 for my team (although I only need one car) but what happens if someone has the same number?

EDIT: OK, I have figured out that I need to add an Alpha Channel in Photoshop. The only issue I have left now is that the outside window is as transparent as the inside. Obviously I am still not understanding that part.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 320 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 165 7.9%
  • < 5 years