1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Hood - On Tyre Wear Scaling & Free Practice

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by Graham Laing, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

Thought it would be worth quoting his post here, as many people avoid the CM forum. He's is responding to sever critisism of tyre wear scalling and the loss for FP1 & FP2
    Source: http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1-2012-General-Discussion/Allow-me-to-explain/m-p/69630#U69630
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Oook, sooooo... What exactly is the deal with that tyre scaling?
    I really don't understand what exactly has been removed/changed, since the cute little story Steve provided suggests, that if option tyres can do 18 laps in a 100% race, then it doesn't mean they'll last as much in shorter races (which is exactly like in F1 2011).
  3. Basically no tire scaling means that is Options can last 15laps in 100% race they will last 15laps in a 25% race whereas in 2011 it was more scaled to like double wear rate or whatever in shorter races.

Don't think its such a big deal after seeing nearly every youtube/twitch race having to stop after 6 or 7 laps due to tires. Its a little :S :S but im sure that the jist of it.
  4. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

Apparently some people like to stop every 5 laps for fresh tyres in a 50% distance race. Me, I'm glad there is no scaling of the tyre wear. I hope it stays that way. It's much more fun racing on the track for longer periods of time and focussing on lower the gap to the guy in front, or increasing the gap to the guy behind.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Some will argue that the Mercedes is not that good at keep the tyre life while others will agree that its all about skill of the driver. I personally like the new way, scalling was not the best idea, now you will have to work on a strategy and hope for the best. You will see drivers been more carefull playing the long game while others will push to the limits and extend the lead in the hope they can make a big enough gap to those behind them to pit and come back out ahead of them. Some people might try option, option prime, or prime, option etc.The point is your setup and driving style will effect your strategy which is how it should be, if people want a scripted tyre life then they should stick to F1 2011.

Now i really can't wait to get this game.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I guess this will be the point where I switch from 50% to 100% races, even if my girlfriend hates me even more :D
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Then again Karl look at the race last night.. it wasn't all about what happened on the track but also how drivers employed various different strategies which definitely added to the excitement of the race. Obviously it was a longer race so there is more opportunity for these things to play out but even so I am still unconvinced that no scaling at all was the way to go. I haven't had any 50% races where pit stops were required every 5 laps but just having a couple of pit stops in a race rather than being bolted on for everyone only having to pit once does add that extra element to the races and opens things up for some strategic play as well as good racing on the track.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

;) It was definitely exciting.
    But, i thought there was no tyre scaling for a 75% distance race in 2011? I thought tyre life was based on 100% tyre life in a 75% race...
  9. Yes that's right Karl, I was just pointing out that races with strategy involved whether 50% or 100% tend to be better than those without.
  10. I wish CM could add tyre scaling and also engine scaling.