Sterkfonteindam Valley

Tracks Sterkfonteindam Valley v0.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
Votr submitted a new resource:

Sterkfonteindam Fantasy Track v.1 - Long Fantasy Mountain Uphill & Downhill track.

This is my first AC track. There is nothing, just single player Practice and the track. I also messed up the start & finish line. Timing will not work for now. The second part of the track doesn't have collide-able walls so please beware. There are visible barriers however, follow color for caution. There is still many things to be done. I will add more materials etc as i learn to do it. To get it like this was already a mammoth task as I'm new to this but loving it!

For those that...

Read more about this resource...

Lots still need to be done, but thank you for starting this and sharing with us, I will be looking forward to your progress. Which part of the world is this Fantasy track going to be emulating?:)

Lots still need to be done, but thank you for starting this and sharing with us, I will be looking forward to your progress. Which part of the world is this Fantasy track going to be emulating?:)
Its a beautiful small mountain pass in Kwazulu Natal, South Africa. I just chose a place randomly to see how the software responds, two days later I have this. Thanks for the interest.

• Deleted member 243506

orsum.. i do love a long track..
not sure if ur using 3DsimEd as part of the development,but i do recommend it.
r.t.b is great for placing objects and makes the grid very easy to set up..but it can be limiting
3DsimEd works well as the second step from r.t.b
good luck with this,
forza ferrari!

I really like the idea. This is a kind of track I am hoping for. I haven't downloaded it as it needs much much work. I think in the future you need to pull out any of the race track type barriers and put in highway barriers.

Please keep up with it.

Votr updated Sterkfonteindam Fantasy Track v.1 with a new update entry:

Sterkfonteindam Fictional Track v.1.1

As promised, a better yet not completed track. It drives beautifully at the moment but still needs signs, barriers etc. Added colors, trees, grass & small layout changes.

Glitch: @ 8:10:160 there is a little piece of ground sticking out from the track on the left side, I will rectify this within the next updated version.

As far as the track is concerned, I'm done for now. I managed to get the time working and my 1st initial lap-time is 12:17:858 from start to start. (Audi R18)....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Votr updated Sterkfonteindam Fictional Track v.1 with a new update entry:

Sterkfonteindam Fictional Track v1.2

V1.2 Released due to Frustration
Please pardon the updates(3rd).

I made an error somewhere and needed to backtrack a lot! Sorry folks, things were looking really great & then, Boom!
Have to redo almost everything again. Barriers looks low in details, this was fixed but hey... sometimes the chicken doesn't lay an egg.
As it is you will be able to race. See the video. I've completed a full lap still with 13/20 rivals on the track. Hotlap doesn't load, only quick race & practice it...

Votr updated Sterkfonteindam Fictional Track with a new update entry:

Sterkfonteindam Fictional Track

I've learned so many new things. Never knew this is so much work! Hats off to developers, including myself. Already clocked 183h in RTB & other for this track alone & it is not even fully finished yet...

V1.3 is working. The first few corners are still AI crazy, especially faster cars.

The file pit-lane.ai:
I cannot get it to work together with the fast-lane.ai. If they load together I get a 'not-responding'... I've tried many options.

Hope you enjoy the newer version, till then...

Happy...

Glad to see you're still working on it and it has real potential, it's already quite fun to be honest.

Couple of points on things you mention in the Overview:
- Based on measuring the difference between distance driven in car, before and then after a one lap race, the Sterkfonteindam normal track is 43.2km, KooperPass is 47.8km, Reaperpeek is 22.2km and Upper Valley is 21.2km (Lower Valley is 11km as you have).
- The section on KooperPass where faster AI cars crash - This isn't due to recording the AI line with an F1 car, to my knowledge the car used to record the line is irrelevant. The AI simply chooses their braking points/cornering speeds based on the car they are driving and the line you've set for them to follow. In this instance the large crest just catches out any car going fast enough to break traction so that they miss their braking point. I would say that the best way to fix this is to use the AI hints to either have them brake a little just before the crest, or simply take the whole section at 80% of max speed or similar, this way they'll approach the corner more cautiously.

As was said, I too am glad to see a man at work finishing the job that he had started. I like the "ReaperPeek" layout the most with a hyper fast car and not much downforce ;).
That said, much has to be made for the track to reach "v1.0" and call it a day. The biggest of problems is the constant unpleasant feeling of being lost and lacking sense of speed. These are from the absence of cues both visually and from FFB. The shader of the road surface needs to be more complex for the asphalt details to emerge and to sleak the need for speed. Take a look at the attached screens - the track can have a "chameleon" road surface which reacts to wet weather at the mere expense of using the "ksPerPixelMultiMap" instead of "ksPerPixel". The road texture needs patches, cracks, grooves, dirt, leaves. The edges need to have a gutter so it would be more dramatic when player steps outside of the track. The immediate surroundings need scattered patches of grasses and bushes. And the wide open landscape needs some farms, fences and houses as seen on the google map of the track.
On the software side of things - the delivery package is unnecessarily big from using the "Background" texture for the start grids. The attached .7z contains all the models for grids of the 6 layouts and all unpacked weighs at 150 KB instead of 240 MB.
There is a big potential for turning this track into one of the best. The game likes it as the dreaded shakes from a large map are not strong and it`s possible to drive very fast without loss of control. I wish you luck and many pleasant hours of creating and playing it!

Attachments

• sterkfonteindam.7z.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 91
  • sfd road1.jpg
    sfd road1.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 125
  • sfd road2.jpg
    sfd road2.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 112
  • sfd road3.jpg
    sfd road3.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
The idea of making a large and varied map for cruising at ~180 mph in a F1 or LMP is very welcome as there is no such thing in AC right now. But for that to really happen the road smoothing has to be taken very seriously.
sfd road.jpg
sfd road0.jpg

As @Mascot said "One thing to note - it's a VERY rough ride on a motion platform, like driving over a washboard, constantly vibrating. There's no sense of this with the motion platform turned off, the road looks quite smooth, even FFB through the wheel was good. The SFX100 was going berserk though, constantly shaking."
For now the easiest solution is to turn down the "Road effect" in the FFB mix
FFB.jpg

There is a need of using subdivide on the meshes of road objects which coincidentally are often at junctions, crests and valleys where the loss of traction from the lower grade surface is crucial. Maybe dividing the physics mesh from the visual is necessary but it already is way over the KS budget for nodes and the game still works fine.

On the software side of things - the delivery package is unnecessarily big from using the "Background" texture for the start grids.
I have to Thank You sir! Been replicating what you did here for me and I managed to get it working. The track have changed since the last update, but I'm not ready yet. This indeed was great advice, so thank you dearly & sincerely.

When I start my Assetto Corsa I get a message " Osth_circuit, Osth_circuit Sterkfontein, view log for detail. Please help

I cannot get it to fault, I tried the following:
-Looked in all .ini files and cannot locate anything with aforesaid.
-Google search results is poor but there is a hint to a camera file that can cause the issue. I've looked at the camera.ini's and honestly I do not know what to do for you.

My next step was:
-Downloaded files / copied extensions/content directly over to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa. If you had a previous install I would suggest deleting all folder/files related to Sterkfonteindam. The paste should be new and without any file replacement. Do this for the two files under extension as well.

Also tested Practice and Race with 20 Ai. All worked.

- Sterkfonteindam - Practice + Race = Worked
- Freedrive - Practice Only = Worked
- KooperPass - Practice + Race = Worked
- Lower Valley Race - Practice + Race = Worked
- ReaperPeak - Practice + Race = Worked
- Upper Valley Race - Practice + Race = Worked

Not tested:
Track Day / Weekend.

You can also copy & paste the log here as I cannot find any fault on my side. Been looking everywhere without success. Maybe the log file can tell more.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 217 14.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years