Steering Ratios in RBR

I have been reading about steering ratios the past few days, something that seems to be discussed quite a bit in other sims, but rarely addressed in RBR. Sure there are discussions about what people set their steering rotations (wheel setting) and max steering lock (car setting) settings to, but these numbers seem to be all over the map, and no explanation to how these numbers were generated.

First, here what started me thinking about this topic:

(tl;dr version: The author thinks sim racers can "cheat" by using overly sensitive steering ratios. Not only do these quick steering ratios turn a sim into an arcade racer by being completely unrealistic, but can cause stability issues at high speeds. We should be using the correct amount of wheel rotation and correct steering ratios for the cars we are driving.)

A post that's definitely worth reading!! This is copied from RSC so it's not necessary to log in there to read, but it's a post by Niels Heusinkveld (Neils_at_home) who is known around the sim-racing world as one of the top physics guys. But this covers steering ratios, and provides excellent insight to the steering ratio!

Heya,

A short point I want to make where us simracers can cheat a bit; the steering ratio. Assuming we have the right Fanatec or Logitech wheels, we can use anything up to 900 degrees on our steering wheels. Depending on the car we drive in the sim, we can set the steering lock somewhere between 15 and 35 degrees, depending if its a F1 car or road car for example.

The ratio between the rotation you use on the wheel and the value you set in the car setup is quite critial. A Corvette Z06 ''supercar'' has a steering ratio of 17.2:1. This means you have to turn the steeringwheel 17.2 degrees for the front tires to turn one degree. I also know a modern single seater car with a 14.5:1 ratio. Perhaps forum users know a few more real life values. In order to get somewhat correct steering sensitivity, it makes sense to copy these values in your simracing hobby. Here is how.

17.2:1 real life steering ratio: Divide your wheel setting, say 900 by this, so 900 / 17.2 = 52.3 degrees. This is the *total* steering, so you have to take half of this: 52.3/2 ~ 26 degrees. This is you car setup value.

For a single seater, its unlikely that they have 900 degrees of steering. Perhaps you know that the car has a 14.5:1 ratio and that the maximum steering is 17 degrees one way, making 34 degrees total. Then you have to set the wheel limits to 34*14.5 = 493 degrees, and set the car setup to 17.

That makes sense. The reason I'm posting is that plenty of people aren't comfortable with 900 degrees. Yet they do want 34 degrees of lock in the car setup. Say you use 450 degrees on your wheel and 34 in the car setup, this is a whopping 6.6:1 steering ratio! That is almost 3x more sensitive than an already sensitive Corvette.. Your drive will be very sensitve, twitchy and unrealistic as a result.

Its much much better to learn how to use 900 degrees on cars that do actually have this much in real life; learn how to re-grip the wheel. Its tricky but driving with a rack that is over 2x too sensitive throws any ''Its a simulation!'' arguments out of the window!

See attached table for some guidelines on how much steering lock to use and what car setup value to choose to stay within reasonable limits.

I hope this helps, over sensitive steering turns sims in to arcade racers!

After reading this, I got to thinking about how this applies to the cars in RBR, and it is really bugging me.

In RBR there is a setting of "Max Steering Lock" and it is measured in degrees, and by default is a large value (504°). This leads me to believe that it is the car's steering wheel rotation value. However, from other discussions I have read, a low setting of this value means you will struggle to make hairpins, and a high value means if the wheel is turned too much you can easily cause understeer. If this is true, this means the steering ratio of the car is fixed and the true steering lock (deflection of the actual wheels and tires) is completely dependent on the amount of the car's wheel rotation (aka: max steering lock). I believe this steering ratio is hardcoded in the physics files of the cars.

Now we cannot change the steering ratio of the car itself, but since we can change the steering lock (wheel/tire deflection) indirectly via the max steering lock value. Since we can change the amount of wheel rotation in the settings of our racing wheels, we now have a way to change the effective steering ratio. For example, if you set the steering wheel rotation to the default value of the car setup, your effective steering ratio matches the steering ratio of the car.

Now here is what bugs me, this does not seem to be what the developers intended at all, most likely because of the racing wheels of the time not able to go all the way to 540°, the wheel rotation of a real WRC car. From what I can tell, the developers intended the racing wheel rotation and the car's wheel rotation to be separated by a factor of around 1.4.

The first thing that tipped me off to this was a post here: http://ascar.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=726861

I always had my wheel on the default setting of 200 degrees but specially for the French rally it was far too sensitive then I was reading up on blackhole and rallysim and settled on 540 degrees for the wheel in the profiler then I set the steering lock in RBR (steering and rollbars) to 792. The default is 504 and because of the way that it works, if you set a turning circle of greater than 504 your wheel is very unsensitive. The game is set to use a multiplier of 1.4 to provide steering that feels right so that means that if you are gong to leave it set at 504 you need to set the profiler to 360ish.

Not one to take random internet posts for their word, I dug a little deeper and found this post by none other than Mr. Horsepower, the main physics guy for RSRBR: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...orsports.com+rbr+g25&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Follow this instructions to have an high efficiency with your G25 !
But remember to have a backup of each deleted or modified tricks,

Setup logitech profiler:

- Degrees of rotation 360° to 540°
- Overall effects strength 100 % to 150%
- Spring effect 0%
- Damper effect 0%
- Centering spring strength to Disable but at 100 %

Setup RBR

in the game directory :)\SCi Games\Richard Burns Rally)

- Delete PC_InputFilter.ini

- In RichardBurnsRally.ini, Delete the first line : "ConstantForceMultiplier = 60".

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVHiblA

In game options :

Go to force feedback options :

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pqj8Bxr

Go to Options/controls/filter/steering/axe/

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVHdIur

Put 792° for the steering ration in the car setup

And for a clutch optimisation :
Download Dxtweak2.exe
http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#DX Tweak 2

And do the same:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1utVX9

To my surprise, he recommends a max steering lock of 792°, the max value! This would mean if you ran your wheel rotation at 540°, the ratio would be 1.467 which matches with the ratio in the first post. If you wanted a quicker effective steering ratio, you would put your wheel rotation to 360°, giving you a ratio of 2.2.

So what does all this mean? It means the steering model in RBR has nothing to do with realism and is entirely designed for steering feel when using old racing wheels. The effective steering ratio must be setup via a confusing system of the ratio between your wheels rotation and the car's rotation.

Am I way off base on this? Just trying to make sense of it all, because it is really bugging me!

ive just got back into rbr...now with eyefinity and a solid chassis setup.....WOW......ive been iracing for two years and my heartbeat has never been higher.....iracing needs to do RALLY.....

Does anybody now how to turn the steering wheel off....when in "cockpit" screen id prefer not to see it thanks.

Kevin

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to trying out those LFB tips when I get back home. I really have no clue about the proper technique so it's always interesting to hear from someone who does.

I don't know about 'proper' technique? lol, but thanks for the vote of confidence :), just some observations that seem to help me.

If you get some kind of benefit from my jibba-jabber GREAT, if you start kicking my ass next season i might have to wonder why? LOL!

Does anybody now how to turn the steering wheel off....when in "cockpit" screen id prefer not to see it thanks.

Kevin

Try this..

Removing steering wheel in cockpit view.

open the ini file (impreza95.ini in this case), search for [i_steeringwheel] section

and change Switch=true

I think RBR or RSRBR (updates) overwrite's with defaults every now and then.

About the wheel - some carpacks have .ini files for all the cars overwritten every time you load the carpack up. The solution? Going into <RBR folder>\RSRBR, opening up the .7z file for the pack your car is in and modifying the ini inside. AFAIK only carpack updates change those files again.

This is a very very interessting thread. But i have a big question. Why speak everyone from 507° Rotation? I have build a new cockpit for my rally plans in future. I will buy a BMW E30 318is so i think. Now i would like to drive as realistic as possible in RBR. But i think, the most realistic option is 900° in Logitech Profiler Settings. And then i musst configure the ingame RBR settings? Or where is my misstake in thinking? And are the optimal posted settings for the G25 also the optimal settings für the Logitech DFP?

Sorry for my bad english and my "stupid" question, but the most really cars hava a rotation from 900 - 1080° so i think.

Thank you very much!

Yeah, the most current rally cars, but not the historical cars?! A BMW E30 is a older rally car from the 1990er years.

And there is a big differenc from 550 - 720. I´m sorry, but i don´t know where is my thinking misstake...

This is a very very interessting thread. But i have a big question. Why speak everyone from 507° Rotation? I have build a new cockpit for my rally plans in future. I will buy a BMW E30 318is so i think. Now i would like to drive as realistic as possible in RBR. But i think, the most realistic option is 900° in Logitech Profiler Settings. And then i musst configure the ingame RBR settings? Or where is my misstake in thinking? And are the optimal posted settings for the G25 also the optimal settings für the Logitech DFP?

Sorry for my bad english and my "stupid" question, but the most really cars hava a rotation from 900 - 1080° so i think.

Thank you very much!

The number 507° comes from the default setting of the car's "max steering lock" in RBR. The highest this in-game setting can go is 792°.

The issue with RBR is that the only way to control the "effective" steering ratio is to set the ratio between the in-game setup and your wheel's rotation. This causes an issue with the historic and production cars because the max in-game rotation you can have is 792°. So if you were to set the wheel to 900° and the car to 792°, your effective steering ratio would be much slower than the real world steering ratio of a production car.

Because RBR was never intended to have anything other than WRC cars, there is no way to properly emulate the steering ratios found in the cars added by RSRBR.

Thank you very much for your reply.

This means in plain language that the most real way, the steering in Richard Burns Rally to simulate those of a real car, the way to make the profile settings to 507 ° and the steering lock ingame to 792 ° are too. I see that right? And it is not really matter whether I use the C4 WRC and the MW E30 M3'm out, right? I hope I have expressed myself in reasonably understandable English. And thanks again for the reply.

The recommendation by the main RSRBR physics guy is to run your wheel at 360°-540° of rotation, and setup the car with max steering lock of 792°.

However since you will not be able to get close to the real world values of a production car, these settings are more for "feel" over realism.

Sorry, I guess I will not tell something new, but this thread is interesting. I'm totally new to gaming wheels, got my first G27 and I set it's drivers to max and not allow game to adjust settings. I'm not gonna get a sport car and I try to spend time useful and practice/improve my steering. So I decided to use 900* and H-shifter to make it more reallife.

If there are others with same intentions may find interesting my thread, now I'm even trying to find stock car models or settings. Thanks.

All my settings work now. But i have one problem. I have edited de ingame steering ratio from 60 to 254 Degrees, because i drive a steering ratio in my profiler from 507°. But after every restart from the pc the file is again at 60 Degrees. To edit the file you must chance in the folder misc.rbz the LM_Driver.ini. But the bug, every restart the file is original...

I just want to point out to everyone the simplicity of the steering system in richard burns rally
the steering lock in the car set up has nothing to do with the steering wheel but only the road wheels.
so if you increase this to maximum your car will be harder to control but have a better turning circle
the wheel settings in the logitech file are what determine how much of the wheel you will use when you play the game, so if you set it to 540 like an average rally car then it will provide you with a more realistic feeling wheel for a rally car but since the steering wheel is 900 degrees from lock to lock which is 2.5 turns, since 540 is 1.5 turns then you will be left with half a turn in each direction which will basicly be a deadzone where nothing happens to the road wheels, this could potentially cause problems for you going round very tight corners but apart from that its easier to use but if you could master 900 degrees then you obviously would have more control when you have the steering wheel at full lock bcos at 540 there will be a deadzone where what you do with the steering wheel has no effect on the road wheels
if you dont believe me then go onto the test yard and see your wheels turn farther when you have the steering lock in the car set up higher ive also tested the wheel i know im correct

I believe the theory that the game engine only supports up to about 180 degree wheel rotation. The in game wheel moves about 120 degree total. That is at max steering lock of 504 degrees.

The Max steering default dived by the default rotation of visual wheel should give us the ratio of 1 pc steering degree to max rotation degrees

504/120=4.2

Now the maximum value of setup of max steering lock divided by the ratio of 4.2:1 should give us the max coded recognition of pc wheel rotation.

792/4.2=188.57

Just about 180...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back