Steering lock adjusts with speed?

I've never driven a real car before so I don't know how real cars work, so here it goes.
When I used to play arcade racers I noticed that the steering lock on the cars tightens or loosens dynamically based on your speed, but I thought it was just some assist put into the game because it's supposed to be arcady so I didn't care much.

But just now when I drove the Formula RR in this game, I noticed the same thing. I turned the wheel to full lock at a high speed, then i brought the car to a stop. The virtual steering wheel itself didn't move, but I noticed that the front wheels changed angles.

I tried it the other day with rFactor and I noticed the same thing, except the virtual steering wheel also adjusted.

I thought these games were supposed to be super realistic. Is this something that happens in real life with formula one cars or road cars? If not is there a way for me to turn this off? I've looked through all the menus and settings I can find and turned every assist off but this still happens!

Exactly like in those arcade racing games, it's an assist included to give you a more maneuverable car in the pit lane whilst providing the desired steering lock at racing speed. Strangely, in rFactor and all it's derivatives (such as Race 07), there are two parameters for this in your PLR file. Set them both to 0, and it will have no effect whatsoever.

Give me a moment, I'll try to find what the parameters are called. I can't check my PLR file right now, as I don't have rFactor on this laptop.

Edit:

Sorry, my mistake. The files you're interested in are your .plr file and controller.ini. These will both be in the appropriate folder inside 'userdata'. For Race 07, this is in Documents/Simbin/Race 07/Userdata. For rFactor, it is in the rFactor install directory.

In your PLR file, find "Speed Sensitive Steering" and set it to 0. In rFactor, you can do this from the controller options. But in Race 07, you have to do this manually.

In controller.ini, find "Steer Ratio Speed" and set this to 0.

There isn't, no. It's just to compensate for only being able to turn the steering wheel 270 degrees lock-to-lock as the cars in Race 07 show. If your steering wheel can turn more than that (eg. Logitech G25 900 degrees), then this becomes redundant.

Edit: Oh, guess I was wrong. Either way, I agree with myname. I wouldn't want it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 133 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 358 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 500 39.1%