Steam says "update required" ??

Hey. I haven't raced in many months now; got too frustrated always losing. But I was just looking at my Steam library today, and see that Race 07 and all the addons now require an update. When I look at the update info, all it says is "Now Available - RaceRoom Racing Experience Teaser" ... what the heck does THAT mean? :S
What exactly IS this update, and how big is it? My current Race 07 +mods is around 17gigs, and I don't have much space left on that drive.

Heya - RRRE doesn't have anything to do with that update, it's just linked to Race07's page as both titles are Simbin games :)

The update is a conversion to the "SteamPipe" data format - a somewhat "better" way of storaging the game files that applied to the majority of steam games, already - so a few months ago, it was Race07's time to follow the pack and convert - it shoudn't take up much more (if not less) space afterwards.

Ah, thanks!! I'm really really thinkin about getting back into racing again. Sometimes ya just gotta take a break for awhile, ya know?
RE: the data format conversion. Does this affect mods(tracks and cars) and custom car skins? .. I sure hope not!! =]

Yikes, not much of a mod guy, but the three custom courses we raced in the last few weeks (Dijon, Mugello, Daytona) didn't cause any problems, so I guess they are not affected and/or still compatible - after all, it's "only" the storage format, not the way the game handles its files.

Be prudent Vaughn before converting:
First think of saving your Documents\Simbin\Race07 and all mods and addon tracks.
This conversion succeeds what Steam already tried more than one year ago. Your Race07 game will take place in folder Common.

No problem for mods and tracks if you have a backup of them.

After conversion, all original cars and tracks from all expansions are mixed in one folder 'Teams' or 'Tracks' and all xcf files disappear.

I know someone has lost many mods and tracks neglecting to make a backup before converting.
So, be prudent and backup somewhere else first before converting.

Yep. Update totally broke my game. Won't even start. No errors, no anything.
Oh well. It was either gonna work, or it wasn't. Guess I'll hafta re-install then. ... and re-find all the cars and tracks I had installed, cuz I deleted all the downloads to save disk-space.

EDIT: Tried validated steam cache files, and it wouldn't even do that. :(

Last edited:
Before you give up, try running the config tool directly from the race 07 folder and not through stream. I'd advise running it as administrator.
Justin Swan, I COULD KISS YOU!!! :geek: ... that did it!!! All my cars and tracks and custom championships are still there!! ... At first I wasn't sure it did anything. Ran the config.exe, set resolution, hit okay ... nothing happened ... then I ran the Steam_Race.exe and it actually loaded and ran!! WHOO HOOO!!! Thank you!!!
Seems I've lost all my config settings tho, as well as my user profile .. perhaps it's still somewhere in the system-ether tho, and I can get them back. Hope so.
Regardless, no need to re-install anymore! YES!! :thumbsup: :D :cool:

EDIT: Okay, yeah ... I've found all my old user-data .. configs, setups, everything ... NOW THEN!! Where do I put them? Win 7 ... i've got three (3) folders in my Users/<myname>/My Documents/Simbin folder: Race 07 (where I found my 'old' files) Race 07 Install 2 and Race 07 Install 3 ..... it looks like I might wanna put everything into Race 07 Install 3, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks Dennis .. I figured it out. With a bit of struggle.
Turns out, I just had to leave the gameinstalldir.ini and the config.ini files alone, and copy all my other files in from my old Race 07 folder. Now I've got everything back the way it was. AHHH.
and BOY! am I outta practice!! LOL

EDIT: I imagine I also could've copied just those two files into my old Race 07 folder and that would prolly work too. I'm leaving well enuf alone tho.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back