Steam only Release for AC

So please don't buy it and keep convincing yourself you made the right choice when we are clipping the apex of Eau Rouge in our online GT Series. Jeehaa :p
It´s great it´s steam only. Less hassle for Kunos and less hassle for me if i want to download mods.
No need to visit other sites, can simply browse the workshop and it gets updated automatically.
No need to worry people are running different versions of a mod as well.

boxed version would have been great......in 1995.

icDAk.gif

No but seriously, i hope you guys change your mind and do buy the game in the end.

Please if you don't like Steam or think its the worst thing that is ever invented then please don't buy the game. I am sure that the developers don't want to force you to buy a product that you don't support.

With all respect Bram ...

Are you saying just because i dont like steam i should not buy and play AC? A product i dont support? ... the product i want to buy is AC not steam ... i support AC since day one and now you are telling i dont support AC just because i dont like steam?

So just because steam is profitable there should be AC on steam only? No one here said AC shouldnt be on steam ... people are just saying there should be another option ... just simple as that ... if people cant understand we are just asking for another option besides steam then i will writte again: im ok that AC is on steam ... i voted for it because i know others like it and its profitable for kunos ... but i wish another option where i can just buy AC with nothing else

Jorge,

It's a valid post you make. Some people can have their own reasons for not liking Steam, and it's understandable some people really like AC, but dislike Steam. If you like AC as much as I do, I understand you really want to support, buy and play it. From that perspective, it makes sense that you want AC to be available in a boxed version/standalone dl version.

But think of it like this; if Kunos Simulazioni provides a boxed/standalone dl version, they also need to take care of the whole security side of AC. They need to have a registration server, hand out licenses, take care of customers who didn't receive licenses by e-mails, support people who have problems activating AC etc etc. Simply put, that would be a huge, huge effort to make, especially if you already have a partner who does all that for you (Steam). If you place yourself in the position of Kunos, what reason do they have to make a non-steam version at this moment?

If they have to go this way and make a non-steam version of AC, it will delay it's release, deprive time from the dev team to work on features of AC and also in the future, the team would need to reserver budget and time to support players with activations etc. In the long run, it is a matter of time, cost and efficieny. If you take this point of perspective, there is no faulty logic in their decision.

The thing is, you can névér évér please everybody. Right now, they are pleasing a vast majority. To me, that is the right thing to do. Irrespective of my own preferences.

With all respect Bram ...

Are you saying just because i dont like steam i should not buy and play AC? A product i dont support? ... the product i want to buy is AC not steam ... i support AC since day one and now you are telling i dont support AC just because i dont like steam?

So just because steam is profitable there should be AC on steam only? No one here said AC shouldnt be on steam ... people are just saying there should be another option ... just simple as that ... if people cant understand we are just asking for another option besides steam then i will writte again: im ok that AC is on steam ... i voted for it because i know others like it and its profitable for kunos ... but i wish another option where i can just buy AC with nothing else
I know I'm not the only one who voted on Greenlight who had no intention to buy it there. I feel a bit misled. Would the game have been canned if it weren't on Steam? I doubt it. It's like they just said, "Hey, we're on Steam, that's good enough. Whatever."

That was at a point when they even hadn't applied for Steam Greenlight.

If your game would be on Steam GL, what reason would you have to offer your game as a standalone version without any copy protection?
Caring about your fans, like countless indie developers do. It's a shitty business in a way, just like the movie industry I work for, but you can make people buy your game even if a free version is available in shady places. And, newsflash, Steam games get hacked too.

Jorge,

But think of it like this; if Kunos Simulazioni provides a boxed/standalone dl version, they also need to....

First ... i like the way you explained yourself ... valid points without that radical attitude;)

what reason do they have to make a non-steam version at this moment?

the reasons are:
. selling some extra copies to the ones who will not purchase because of steam
. satisfying the asks from many users all over the internet asking for a non-steam version (most of them are nKP big fans like me that play nKP everyday) and keep loyalty to the old school drivers that dont give a shi:speechless: about steam
. to give people (and kunos itself) a choice to stay independet from companies like Valve and others ...

Are these reasons enough for Kunos spend some more time on develepment? ... its up to them do decide ... i will ending up buying AC no-mather what cause the physics/ffb feel to good to let it go away just because of steam ... but i will allways defend a non-steam version mainly because of the last reason (to give people a choice to stay independet from companies like Valve and others)

My reason for not liking Steam in the past was about Downloading a game itself. Yes I like having a shiny new box on my shelf, but I'm starting to accept that those days are quickly vanishing!!

The main issue with download only games is the internet itself. Now I have recently been lucky enough to have FTTC activated in my area, so now I enjoy 40meg Broadband and downloading a game weighing in at say 4 - 9gb isn't too big a deal!!:) Turn the clock back just a month and it would of meant my pc sitting there downloading for most of the day using electricity and denying my kids the chance to play their educational games (or crash videos on youtube!!) etc. Too many people who have been lucky enough to have Fibre/cable or just very good internet services for several years have grown ignorant of how unfair download only games are!! There are many customers who have the money to spend on a game, but unable to walk in a shop or order through their preferred online merchant to get a disc version.

It's all well and good the world moving forward to Streaming TV, on demand services and downloadable games, but until everyone has the opportunity to have super fast internet services, then it's just plain unfair to exclude those that don't!!

Rant over:thumbsup:

adding unnecessary stuff to make the life of a legit customer as hard as possible,
and then bitch about piracy because some try to circumvent the mess created but those "additions"

Those are the cool ways of game industry not willing to deal with the problems they create....
It's been done again... and again... and again...

Honestly I dont see steam as something that makes my life "hard" When I installed a Solid State Drive all my games were available to download with a handful of clicks and I was up and running within a few hours.

Steam is one of the shining lights in PC gaming, it adds a PSN and XBL style connection between all gamers on our platform, probably one of the few reasons that PC Gaming lives on to this day. Advertising and spotlighting games on Steam will only open up AC to more eyes.

I honestly don't understand how wanting to combat piracy by means of DRM is always a bad thing? It's a bad thing for pirates and a bad thing for people who think this is 5-10 years ago at the birth of DRM. Infact most if not all steam games are playable offline if necessarily. The internet is a scary place but everything on it isnt out to get you, infact if youre an American like I am there is a data base of everything you do for a long time now anyway ;) but a discussion for another time ;)

Besides isn't $ in Kunos' pocket what we want? Isnt that the only true way to support them? What are the other ways you claim to be supporting them? Other than getting others to give them money? I mean if I could afford it I would probably buy 2-3 copies extra just because I am so tickled to death with the joy the TP, NKP and P&G give me.

I for one don't care where it comes out I just want it out and in my hands.

Everyone isnt out to get you and neither is steam.

My reason for not liking Steam in the past was about Downloading a game itself. Yes I like having a shiny new box on my shelf, but I'm starting to accept that those days are quickly vanishing!!

The main issue with download only games is the internet itself. Now I have recently been lucky enough to have FTTC activated in my area, so now I enjoy 40meg Broadband and downloading a game weighing in at say 4 - 9gb isn't too big a deal!!:) Turn the clock back just a month and it would of meant my pc sitting there downloading for most of the day using electricity and denying my kids the chance to play their educational games (or crash videos on youtube!!) etc. Too many people who have been lucky enough to have Fibre/cable or just very good internet services for several years have grown ignorant of how unfair download only games are!! There are many customers who have the money to spend on a game, but unable to walk in a shop or order through their preferred online merchant to get a disc version.

It's all well and good the world moving forward to Streaming TV, on demand services and downloadable games, but until everyone has the opportunity to have super fast internet services, then it's just plain unfair to exclude those that don't!!

Rant over:thumbsup:

While you have a point, its not exclusive to AC. If you want iRacing, pCARs, R3E, rF2, or the Reiza games they are all download only. I don't think AC was ever going to be available on DVD.

Besides isn't $ in Kunos' pocket what we want? Isnt that the only true way to support them? What are the other ways you claim to be supporting them? .

In what way a non-steam version will stop kunos from getting financial support ?... like many others you are assuming that people who are asking for a non-steam version are against AC on steam ... and they are not ... the just want another option ... so kunos will receive finantial support from steam and non-steam sides

And just to clarify the ones who think Steam can offer any kind of protection against piracy..... every good game released on Steam is cracked 2-3 days after official released and will be available to everyone by torrent ... i bet then in less then a week after AC Steam release it wil be cracked and public servers will be full of "Skid Rows" just like Race07 (another Steam exclusive) ...

Honestly I dont see steam as something that makes my life "hard" When I installed a Solid State Drive all my games were available to download with a handful of clicks and I was up and running within a few hours.

Steam is one of the shining lights in PC gaming, it adds a PSN and XBL style connection between all gamers on our platform, probably one of the few reasons that PC Gaming lives on to this day. Advertising and spotlighting games on Steam will only open up AC to more eyes.

I honestly don't understand how wanting to combat piracy by means of DRM is always a bad thing? It's a bad thing for pirates and a bad thing for people who think this is 5-10 years ago at the birth of DRM. Infact most if not all steam games are playable offline if necessarily. The internet is a scary place but everything on it isnt out to get you, infact if youre an American like I am there is a data base of everything you do for a long time now anyway ;) but a discussion for another time ;)

Besides isn't $ in Kunos' pocket what we want? Isnt that the only true way to support them? What are the other ways you claim to be supporting them? Other than getting others to give them money? I mean if I could afford it I would probably buy 2-3 copies extra just because I am so tickled to death with the joy the TP, NKP and P&G give me.

I for one don't care where it comes out I just want it out and in my hands.

Everyone isnt out to get you and neither is steam.
I'm not commenting about steam,it is what it is,
I can accept that people are perfectly fine with it.

Those poeple can't accept that others have problems with it, so it is pointless do discuss this "its good for you" argument.

Regarding kunos support
First of all I'm not going to support them because of all the ''additions'' and ''changes'' made to their plan. especially with steam only this seals the deal.

You see I don't mind it being on steam,I do mind that there isn't an alternative to cater to my needs.
Release a DRM free version and then I might think about it.

Whether kunos makes money or not isn't my goal or problem to solve,it is theirs.
I don't care if they make money or not, as a single person all I can do is support works I like.

if they had a honest plan from the start, I would be able to decide then.
the same way I decided not to support Pcars or to support NKP

And as it turns out I have not a single reason to like AC so far.
every piece of news makes it worse and worse for me to like this thing.

Other ways of supporting them is create mods for their game.
That is if they don't drop modding in favor of DLC

development of a mod,despite being released for free, is worth multiple times the value of a sale.

@ Gamer Muscle, I can't see games as services, maybe you are younger and you can afford to look at them like that. I just can't.

- nothing to do with age if you have worked in the game industry , done research in the field of games or followed which companies have typically had the most success its typically companies that treat game production as a service rather than a set in stone product.

Weather or not they deliver that service though boxed games or the now more convenient and logical process of instant downloads the fact is

1) software is complex and always needs fixing
2) users hardware is constantly changing
3) new features and game play have to be implemented over time
4) New users come to the game and have different requirements that need to be accommodated.

There are literally hundreds of reasons as why it makes more sense to think of most software and most games as a service rather than one off set in stone products and why companies that do think of there software as a service and utilise platforms that improve that service tend to do better.

Sure companies can take things to far and totally screw over a large part of there user base
Adobe Creative Cloud for example.But when it comes to steam and games, valve and developers are bang on the money in terms of utility for the end user. Apart from maybe the case of very specific single player only games and people in places with no internet. ( typically those games are also released DRM free as well).

For me they are art pieces, even though I believe that most games are not art, mainly because if you treat something as a product,in the end it is a product.

You seem to be confused on the issue of ownership, something is not more or less art just because you have more or less personal perceived ownership of that object.

I want to keep them and play them anytime and in any circumstance ,given the fact i have a capable machine to run then.

Realistically with steam you are statistically more likely to be able to play the game in the future than you would be able to with basic boxed copies of games , if you are of the few people that can store large quantities of physical games without them becoming damaged then that's grate but its not practical for allot of people.

Also lets remember the type of product AC is , sure it has single player but to really get the most of the game you would require an internet connection regardless and if the game is a success its the type of game that will evolve massively over time making the original Gold press of the game essentially redundant so sure you could have the ISO of build 01 but that would not really represent the actual game.

In titles that boost mod-ability as a feature, this is one reason more to want that freedom,
Because we are expecting to put our work in there.
and I want the right to access my work ingame, anytime I wish, without limitations.
The game creators benefit from that situation with free content boosting sales as well.

If used properly steam allows moders to more easily get content into the game , it allows modders to also potnetaily monetise mod content in a fair way which can then assure higher quality content for the end user. I have never had issues accessing content I have made for CSGO , and friends of mine that have developed and sold content for DOTA2 have never had problems accessing content they have made for that game.

Sure I think for allot of software a singular DRM free version is justified and the aspect of DRM free and being a singular build is a selling point.

But in the case of AC or largely community based pieces of software that are heavily multilayer and undergo heavy sustaind development a platform like steam is literally perfect , and having the software on a platform like that is the one chance that a niche hobby like sim-racing can actually stay alive rather than just die out.

if they had a honest plan from the start, I would be able to decide then.
And as it turns out I have not a single reason to like AC so far.
every piece of news makes it worse and worse for me to like this thing.

Honestly not sure why you are posting then , this was part of what i said in another thread if you go over the key points of steam and how they apply to AC then there is no real argument against steam V the other options for a developer. Especially you are a user that wants sim-racing to be relevant into the future and you want kunos to keep developing software.

Finally I don't dispute and I don't think anyone has that there specific issues with steam 1) DRM 2)Online Conectivity 3) Pore Soft support for users that don't know what they are doing don't know how to access community support 4) pore support for users with legitimate problems. Its just a case of realistically steam is by far the best method of distribution for a pc game at this point in time.

all those things you describe can be done without steam very effectively.
how multiple options could harm the user base, they would make it bigger.

you need to work as a representative of m$,they will appreciate your efforts.
you will do very well.

I honestly don't see how that's a productive response :p

Valve is not MS ( though Gabe and its other co founder were X MS ) and valve is a very flat structured and largely autonomous company.

I'm actually quite critical of aspects of the steam service though as a whole I support what valve have done and are working towards as should you be if you work in games enjoy games or have friends that work as independent game developers.

Sure a developer could take on the full burden of trying to emulate everything steam does but why bother when steam does it so well ? Sometimes it makes sense to use other peoples API's or systems other times not.

Its likely Kunos are stretched enough as it is developing there own game engine , building world leading real time physics and world leading driving simulator. I know as a bunch of people they are bloody talented but its imposable for them to be gods at everything. It only makes sense for them to utilise a proven system like steam for the DRM and content management ( if thats what they intend to do)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back