1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

"steam failed to start the game (app already running)".

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by Chris Matthews, Dec 11, 2012.

1. I have started to get this message when using either flashback or replay (at end of race etc)

"steam failed to start the game (app already running)"

I have deleted the game and reinstalled (saved my userdata file) but still get the same, however I created a new profile and all works fine.

Is there any way around this, or if nor what location are set-ups saved to allow me to copy them to the new profile please?

2. When this appened to me, i just restart steam.

3. Tried that, no dice I am afraid to say :(

4. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

If you are running any mod(s), try un-installing it/them, and test again ...

5. I am running sweetFX and visual mods (car skins/helmets etc), however I only get this message on one profile and not the other, most strange indeed.

6. I just installed the sweet fx pack and now i get this error too for the first time. Uninstalled the mod and no more error.

7. As I said, it only affects one profile, not the new one.
    Removed everything I can think of as added (back to 'as new' following reinstall ) but still happens on original profile
    Might just have to use that one, anyone know which folder my set-ups might be stored in to save imputting them all again??

8. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

Your setups with be in your profile files, not as a separate config file for each setup.

Profile files :-

YourSteamInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86\Steam\userdata\YourSteamID\208500\remote

These files will be encrypted, so you will not be able to get the setups out of them .......

9. Im 99% sure this is regarded to mods. I say this because im always working on some mods and when i do something wrong i get this message, then i undo the changes and the game starts. And im using a lot of mods and sweetfx + visor view mod. If you want to "reinstall" just use the verifiy files integrity on steam, it will replace any modded files with default ones, and download any file that is missing. Just be aware that your mods are going to be deleted.

10. Deleted everything (saved userdata) including F1 folder in 'My Games' and reinstalling
    hope this works

11. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

As Roberto says, you do not have to re-install, just verify your game cache in Steam.

Right Click On F1 2012 in Steam > Properties > Local Files Tab > Verify Integrity of Game cache

This automatically downloads and replaces any broken, missing, or modded files, leaving a fully patched standard install

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well, re-verified and still the get the same so it as to be in my userdata folder..

Shame really because I had set-ups near perfect for me and my driving style

13. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

It looks like it's never going to happen in this series of F1 Games, saving or exporting of setups that can be imported by other players ..... That's a shame too :)