Steam Error

Has anyone have any experience dealing with steam error 108, otherwise known as SteamStartup(0xf,0x18fce8) failed with error 108: The Local Steam Service is not running...?

Been dealing with this for a couple hours and can't come up with the goods. Any help is appreciate. Fresh install of windows, fresh install of steam, btw.

I have been suffering with this issue/error for months. I can play FM 2012 with no issues at all but Race 07 will not work.

EDIT - If you find a solution Danny, Can you please tell me how you did it

Very strange issue, indeed. But I finally got it working after 6 hours of problem solving (I suck at this stuff...) What I did was a system restore and reverted back to a prior point of windows 7. I didn't lose much because I had only installed windows 7 the day before.

Anyhow, I reverted back to when I first installed steam. But once I clicked it, it didn't work, so I had to get another fresh install of the game. Then I reinstalled Race 07. Miraculously the game finally launched once I started it from steam (not the desktop). Sicne I'm now at work I haven't had the time to fiddle aroudn with it since, but it would seem the problem has been solved.

Don't know what I could have downloaded between my initial install of steam to the point in which I got that mysterious error, but the system refresh must have done something to correct the issue.

Also, it should be noted that the EXACT error code I got, which is (0xf,0x18fce8), has practically nothing on how to fix it, and I don't think the .dll overlap has anything to do with it, which works with error code (0xf,0x12fc74). Somewhere along the way in my trolling through countless pages I found that doing a system reset might work, but I didn't bother to try it until I was completely out of options. But, again, I wouldn't know where to reset to if you've had windows installed for a long period of time. My only suggestion would be to find a point where steam wasn't installed and go from there.

Hope that helps anyone who runs into this issue. I still don't understand it, as this all happened on a freshly built computer and a newly installed copy of windows 7... And it's stupid, because out of all the issues I've had putting this stuff together, this has been the most time consuming...

Also, it should be noted that the EXACT error code I got, which is (0xf,0x18fce8), has practically nothing on how to fix it, and I don't think the .dll overlap has anything to do with it, which works with error code (0xf,0x12fc74).
Ah. Figured that's just a memory address or something irrelevant.

Hope it stays in working order. If not, there's always Steam support :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing