Steam Converting to a More Efficient Format ... Again

Hi,

I was impacted by the last time Steam tried to move Race 07 to the Common folder in September 2012.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/steam-race-07-on-gtr-evo-changes-on-01-09-12.55329/

Last weekend (24 August) Steam did it again. When presented with the option to convert Race 07 to the more efficient format, I declined, but meant Steam wouldn't let me play the game.

I had a backup of my files, so I selected yes and as expected Steam moved Race 07 from the username folder to the common folder.

This is where it gets really strange.

When I launched the game, it asks me to download and install the game. After this is completed, I go back to having a small 235mb Race 07 folder in my <username> folder, plus the game in the <common> folder. Upon launching the game (GTR Evolution), it creates a new "Race 07 Install Folder 2" in My Documents and runs the game from the <username> folder, using the "Race 07 Install Folder 2"

Exiting the game and relaunching GTR Evolution, it loads the game from the <common> folder, and uses the original "Race 07" folder in My Documents. I can tell it's loading from the different folders as each has different mods and tracks installed.

This behaviour of first loading the game from the <username> iteration of the game and then subsequent loads from the <commom> folder is consistent when launching Race 07 or GTR Evolution after a PC reboot. I also have the GT Power Pack and Retro Pack, but when launching games from those icons, it consistently loads the <username> and the "Race 07 Install Folder 2" version of the game.

So I effectively have 2 versions of the game installed

I've deleted all of Race 07 twice and reinstalled and same behaviour is exhibited. I would rather have only one install, preferably the <username> folder as that is where the GT Power Pack and Retro Pack are available.

Has anyone else been impacted this month by Steam converted to a more efficient format?

Thanks

As I was sure Steam would begin again, I did it since their latest enormous mistake last year.
Sure that Steam wants all their games in Common folder, no matter what everybody says.

i was set to offline had been the whole time since the update but my race07 wouldnt start unless i did the update. it was either update or not play race07 again. so i did the update..now ive lost 217 tracks and 202 mods that were NOT in the game. sum mods and track i had in the game were moved to the new place and work fine but sum were moved but have no files. contacted steam asking why they did this and all they came with was

"due to the content not being purchased off steam we can not assist you, sorry for any inconvenience"

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%