Steam Converting to a More Efficient Format ... Again

Hi,

I was impacted by the last time Steam tried to move Race 07 to the Common folder in September 2012.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/steam-race-07-on-gtr-evo-changes-on-01-09-12.55329/

Last weekend (24 August) Steam did it again. When presented with the option to convert Race 07 to the more efficient format, I declined, but meant Steam wouldn't let me play the game.

I had a backup of my files, so I selected yes and as expected Steam moved Race 07 from the username folder to the common folder.

This is where it gets really strange.

When I launched the game, it asks me to download and install the game. After this is completed, I go back to having a small 235mb Race 07 folder in my <username> folder, plus the game in the <common> folder. Upon launching the game (GTR Evolution), it creates a new "Race 07 Install Folder 2" in My Documents and runs the game from the <username> folder, using the "Race 07 Install Folder 2"

Exiting the game and relaunching GTR Evolution, it loads the game from the <common> folder, and uses the original "Race 07" folder in My Documents. I can tell it's loading from the different folders as each has different mods and tracks installed.

This behaviour of first loading the game from the <username> iteration of the game and then subsequent loads from the <commom> folder is consistent when launching Race 07 or GTR Evolution after a PC reboot. I also have the GT Power Pack and Retro Pack, but when launching games from those icons, it consistently loads the <username> and the "Race 07 Install Folder 2" version of the game.

So I effectively have 2 versions of the game installed

I've deleted all of Race 07 twice and reinstalled and same behaviour is exhibited. I would rather have only one install, preferably the <username> folder as that is where the GT Power Pack and Retro Pack are available.

Has anyone else been impacted this month by Steam converted to a more efficient format?

Thanks

Well, lucky me.
I was feeling left out, until now my Race 07 worked perfectly, and all of the files were still in their original location.

Obviously it just took longer to wander down to Australia, but it finally made it here. Tried the advised "conversion", Steam proceded to copy everything across to the new location.
Guess what, nothing works anymore. :rolleyes: Tried copying the "GameInstallDir" to point to the new location, but it still wont launch.

So now it is my turn to uninstall everything, or think seriously about whether I want to re-install the lot, which will take me a few days at my slow internet speeds. :mad:

Tell me again how this has been made "more efficient".

Update done followed steps in updating first with main game then all add on's, when I only updated Race 07 got error with missing interface so done add on's one at a time. Takes about 2 hours had do some more than once to get sorted.
Some looked like they were hanging just stopped process when showed content complete.
Just done bit of testing all okay apart from having to re-set controls & settings, don't have any mods myself maybe got lucky here:) and won't be messing with any folders for now :whistling:

We need to be patient. They will have to convert it back.:p
Why?
Ha! I just installed now from my old Race07 DVD. It took half an hour. I have 2.5 gigs game files now (the old huge files are unpacked or so).
I have no exe. In Steam, the installed game is NOT installed:sleep:

I've decided to wipe out everything Race 07 related and treat it as if I'm downloading and installing for the first time. (backed up MY DOCS/SIMBIN/RACE07)
That's what i've done yesterday. Race07 and all addons are working now without problems.

Positive:
Loading times seems improved and now i can restart Race07 without having to terminate Steam too. Before the Steam update i've got an error message, if i had tried to restart Race07 while Steam was running.

Negative:
All the spended hours and hours to fix all the problems and complications which were the result from this half-baked Steam update.

I've decided to wipe out everything Race 07 related and treat it as if I'm downloading and installing for the first time. (backed up MY DOCS/SIMBIN/RACE07)

I would strongly recommend this approach, here's why.

After my Race 07 failed to launch after the "update", I tried to follow the Steam recommendation.
I went to every Expansion Pack I have, and allowed Steam to convert them (all 10 of them). After the conversions, I did the GameInstallDir edit to point to the new install location. To my surprise, the game now launched and appeared to be working (based on a very quick test).
I then performed a File Validation (via Steam) on each Expansion pack as well as the base Race 07. It found several hundred errors and performed the needed updates.
I then cycled through each Pack again with another validation check. This time it reported (and corrected) about 300 files. So, I cycled through the list yet again and this time it found about 100 invalid files.
At least the quantity was reducing, maybe a good sign. :whistling:
After about another 3 cycles through all of the Packs, my reported list of invalid files is now down to about 50 or 60. However, who knows how many more cycles are needed to get that down to none. :(

So, now the game still launches and appears to be working (but I've not really done any extensive testing), yet I'm hardly confident while all of these invalid files are continually being reported.

What a mess. :rolleyes:

It seems that the only way I can be confident is to start all over again (if I really want to keep Race 07 on my PC :unsure: ).
You can imagine how many hours I have spent so far doing all of this, not to mention using massive amounts of my ISP limits. :sick:

When it had converted the race 07 files. as i clicked on each extra component or dlc
it did say i would need to uninstall and redownload them.

i would say that it appears to work best if you take out all the mods and track before starting this procedure.

i have the luckk of a good internet speed and it was downloading ok ..
Basically is a clean install of all the stuff you own in race 07 and a fresh start.

One question for those who have cleaned out Race 07 and re-installed everything again.

Have you subsequently done a validation check on each of your expansion packs to confirm all files are now valid?

I'd like to get an idea of whether it is just my converted files being lost or corrupted, or is Steam currently playing around with the available download files in an attempt to fix this mess.
If it is the latter, then I'll wait for a few days to see if it settles down.

EDIT:
as i clicked on each extra component or dlc it did say i would need to uninstall and redownload them.

I have not received that message at all.

Last edited:
After race 07 had done it stuff, i did fire up the sim and all components were there but i could not select them to race with.
so i went back into the library and tried to start the GTR evo. that's when i got the message i had to unistall and re-downloaded so i did every one and let it do its thing .
some of the went into pause as other components downloaded first, but after about 2 hours it was all done.
i rebooted steam and fired up the sim again them i could select any car and track
i had moved the player profile out of it usual place so a new one was created.
form there i made an ew profile and dropped my other stuff back in . All works fine ATM touch wood

It now appears that when you validate a a game file for the contents of race 07
it first validates the let say GTR evo then in a second sweep it validates race 07 again. and downloads a few files 42 in my case
if you then go back to validate race 07 it shows there are files that are wrong,
and downloads then a second time.
repeat the procedure again with GTR evo and it alter the files again..
and again repeat race07 and it alters again.
Each time the game will work, it could be a structure thing more than a incorrect file.
I don't think they have this bit worked out correctly yet.
Each time the game will work so don't think on my machine its a major problem.
I have sent a ticket to steam explaining the problem or results of this.

It now appears that when you validate a a game file for the contents of race 07
it first validates the let say GTR evo then in a second sweep it validates race 07 again. and downloads a few files 42 in my case
if you then go back to validate race 07 it shows there are files that are wrong,
and downloads then a second time.
repeat the procedure again with GTR evo and it alter the files again..
and again repeat race07 and it alters again.
Each time the game will work, it could be a structure thing more than a incorrect file.
I don't think they have this bit worked out correctly yet.
Each time the game will work so don't think on my machine its a major problem.
I have sent a ticket to steam explaining the problem or results of this.

Rupe, that was happening to me before I reinstalled Steam. If I remember correctly I did check one addon afterwards and validation was good.

To Everyone, the best test of the system is to go online and race. Let's all meet on the Mini server this afternoon/evening and everyone can do a true validation. Don't forget your true skins :p

I removed ALL local content and then deleted all the files and folders that where left. So far I've installed RACE INJECTION and all seems OK so far. Nothing under <username> and RACE07 now showing in COMMON folder. I also have SIMBIM/RACE07 folders showing in MYDOCUMENTS.

Rupe, that was happening to me before I reinstalled Steam. If I remember correctly I did check one addon afterwards and validation was good.

To Everyone, the best test of the system is to go online and race. Let's all meet on the Mini server this afternoon/evening and everyone can do a true validation. Don't forget your true skins :p
I've installed the track for tonights MINI race but it's not showing, my guess is it's tied in with one of the DLC's I haven't installed yet. I'll keep installing and see how it goes. Just had a blast around Brands ok using the V1.8 mini skin pack.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back