Static to Motion Moxley's Way 2Dof to 3Dof

Hey Guys, Finally a compilation of what i came from and where at right now. There's been many guys over the years who have helped with small thing's to Big thing's and want to thank them all the utmost. Without You the Rig wouldn't be what it is today.

I Started out life as a KB racer playing F1 2011 and soon Stepped up to a G27..Wow what a Difference. So worth the 270$ or w/e it cost But as time went on racing in a Desk chair Sucks as im sure All of you will attest to. I tried a few different unique ways to hold the chair in place form Towels to little blocks of wood cut to raise the wheels up of the carpet. While functional to a point there had to be a better way, So I asked a Tuner buddy who builds Crazy turbo Hondas if he had any old race seat's kicking around. 20 minutes later i had a Genuine Sparco Fighter for a whopping 25$....Now here's the catch, It was beat to Shi* and essentially needed a Bed sheet to cover it and forget all the battle Scars, tear's and Poor ass leather patch jobs the seats endured over the years. So build a Basic square box which was eventually modded into this. Legs were attached when the COG became too far back and the seat would fall over. Lol

At this stage i had already dismounted the Stock G27 wheel in favor of a Stripped down Steelseries SRW-S1 which was mounted with a simple CF plate with threads and 4 holes in the wheel base I also retain the stock Shifter's as the S1's are pretty poor and have a weak link in the spring they use, More pics on that can be found here if curious. here

Note, If you want your S1 to survive a decent amount of time under a FFB base, Do this.

Old Bed Sheet Seat with the AeroDesigns Arges which was bought when i realized the Fighter's padding wasn't up to snuff for the long races. yes i could have sourced some Foam or something to freshed it up, But i Always wanted a "wrap around" GT style seat like this and when i found one locally for a decent price it was Far too hard to pass it up. Sparco was sold off to a buddy who also build a static sim for playing GT6.

Next was the Stock Logi pedals, When searching and bring a noobie I saw all these Hydraulic and Load cell brakes and wanted to play with some Rc shock which i happen to have a Whack load of and eventually came up with this. Stock Logitech spring opened up a hair to clip onto the shock collars and 4 of 6 holes glued shut on the pistons on 45wt oil. I also added some AKA tire foam donut onto the shaft to have a real hard point at the end of the stroke while still maintaining Full travel.

While it somewhat worked i felt again there had to be a better way, So after searching a few For sale threads on a few forums, I found Jon aka Basherboards selling a B.N set of clubsport V2's which i promptly snatched up.

Now from having a Rc Racing backround, I knew the stock Fana shock was a POS the second i took it apart to inspect and fill with oil. promptly decided it was to be tossed in favor of something from my 1/8 racer's. The 1/8 Mugen 6 line use the same length shocks for buggy and truggy and I had a spare set of shocks i bought a while back and turns out the rear's almost Drop right on with a Slight bit of modding to the mounting point, which I have to admit I already modded for the stock Shock as the Top of the shock cap was slowly being worn away by the mount. CHECK your shocks I wouldn't doubt if they All have the same wear spot.
After a few days of testing i settled on the stock pistons with 35wt oil and a Kyosho Hard blue spring.

thread for the mounting details can be foundhttp://racedepartment.tv/forums/topic/12267-club-sport-pedals-v2-shock-replacement-suggestion/ or

http://racedepartment.tv/forums/topic/11365-clubsport-pedals-2014/

Ok so next dilemma was the fact that the Fana Load cell was overpowering my pedal box and basically making all sorts of creaks and cracks under load, The rear pedal box posts essentially butted up to the 2 corner angles of the back of the desk and would sometimes go a little crooked if you hammered on the brakes, I wasn't allowed to Drill through the carpet and into the Hardwood underneath so the next quest started, A new PC build, New 47" Samsung and New 5.1 Pioneer setup for my room downstairs which has room for an actual Rig. So the Rig build begins.

The Step Up, was to compensate for a Large Metal Shelving unit the TV sits on and to get the Rig as Close to the TV as possible.

Base and pedal box attached with new Raiser for the wheel base.
Base was left Long to allow a 8" powered sub to sit right behind the seat.

1000$ budget for the PC build and we got the Final bill to 999.95$ with a few extra manager discounts thrown in at the last minute, (Thanks MemoryExpress)

Tv also came from them, Samsung 47" 1080HD 120 for a whopping 450$ also after manager discounts due to being the Last one...>Score.

[/[URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/davidmoxley123/media/Sim%20Racing/preview_image_0_54407452x_zps0a569163.jpg.html]

I kept the PC upstairs and Ran a 24' HDMI and 2 10' USB extensions to my Room downstairs. Got a powered USB hub and have Just enough ports to do what im up to Currently, might need to add a 2nd Hub.

So here's the finished product basically what i had envisioned and it allowed me to get my eyes to within 26"(i think) of the TV for a decent FOV.

[/URL]

Last edited:
Also over the holidays i had a slight hiccup with my PC, My Hero VII decided to take a hike off to never never land, After roughly a week at the PC shop for diagnosis, they determined it would fire a i3 and i5 no problem, but wouldn't fire my i7 up, So A new Mobo would be required. Well I happen to have about a year left in my In store protection, So i was left to essentially pick what ever Mobo i wanted, well I wanted what i had, A ROG board. well with the 1150's on their way out and the 1151 being the new IN thing, They didn't have access to a 1150 mobo to compete with what I already had. Sooooo here came the real bonus, The i7 4790, the Platinum Dominator Ram and Mobo came to a total of like 875$ credit So In the end i settled on a New 1151 Hero VIII, i5 6600 (at the time ALL i7's are backordered for a month or more North America wide) and the same 2x8 Platinum Dominator DDR4 3000mhz ram. Add in 3 years extra warranty and I owed them a whopping 17$.......Next ticket would be the new card, Buddy upgraded to a 980 Classified so he sold this to me for a Smookin deal i couldn't refuse.

Upvote 0
Last update for the day I promise, lol

Was always lookin for a cheap tablet mount for my 10" went to the dollar store the other day and found this for 2$ and it works the ticket.

I also got Sick and tired of looking at my Worn out seat patches, so I went to the fabric store and got some Fake Suede and went to work on all 3 section's, Arm rests, Shoulder blade, and head rest. you can see the worn out portion under the patch. I used bobby pins to hold it in place, then used Shoe Goo to tack the edges (Fabric glue bleed through the suede).

Upvote 0
Screen's were always something i wanted but never had the space to for them until i did a 180* on the room and made it possible, lol :excited:

Next thing i always wanted was an adjustable wheel plate, so with a little help from @Steve spenceley and his 80-20 version, I came up with this.

Back

Forwards

Upvote 0
Buddy always whined about not being able to use my shifter (i have a shorter forearms compared to buddy) So i decided to make him an adjustable plate so he can have some H pattern fun too. It may not look like a lot of travel, but it actually is, Fully extended is a No go for me, Im physically having to reach for the knob....So mission accomplished. :)

Plate

Default position for me

slides over from Default

Extended

Upvote 0
"Hey Nick, care to test out some pedals for me (local buddy)"

"Suuuure buddy bring them on by "

Shows up at door with these.

Ultimate's, NOT the Pro's.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

And why not a set of Ricmotech's while were at it.

Upvote 0
Im going to upset a Lot of people who spend A LOT of money on some fancy a** hardware if i open my big mouth. But here it goes.... :think

As in our DIY hardware, Just because you spend a Wad full, Does not mean its the best shi* since sliced bread......Pedals included. My eyes have been opened per say. So likelihood of sending off 1000-2000+ of my Canadian little buddies to some foreign country for something i can build myself is slim to nil.

Was rather excited to try a Hydraulic break, I had always been curious what they would feel like....so, Ricmo's are a Custom set of GTpro1's with Dual 150lb master cylinder's which has a some what goofy attachment point where it mates with the pedal arm, Essentially giving a mechanical Click as you get on the brakes and the brake had very little "squish" and was overly light pressured for having 300lbs worth of Hydraulic pressure on tap. This is where it gets sticky. Buddy wouldn't let me tweek his "profile" for his pedals which resulted in me wanting to do thing's i couldn't do further skewing the results. **After more testing too it appears the mechanical attachment points for the brake/clutch pedal arms have Lots and LOTS of slop in them, Something that would Drive me BONKERS!!!! Clutch pedal pivot point started to Squeal like a little piglet after a bit of use too (couple drops of oil fixed that) I also Turned the Adjustment knob on the Brake pedal as much as i felt safe to in trying to get MORE overall brake pressure required to get to Max, But in the end that was part of the "profile" setting's...so was rather confused when my CSP v2's had more brake pressure required to get to 100% than the 300LBs of hydro power buddy had custom made for him.o_O

The Grip tape on the brake/clutch was also a little lack luster, even with my Slicked soft racing shoes they offered very little grip, resulting in some slippage of the feet when heel/toe shifting, I would like to see a more Skateboard style grip tape to ensure it sticks to rubber racing shoes.

Clutch on the Ricmo's was a rather pleasurable experience, the Big Soft Squishy feeling with almost no real End to the travel (pedal position would change that) but overall the Clutch was my Favorite pedal feel out of all 6. Unfortunately it still felt very alien to my CSP setup with the cam which after getting my CSP's back on my rig, i will most likely be staying with a Cam clutch. Its just what i like and can 100% nail my clutch in and out points. FYI this is NOT a Hydro clutch setup. Read up on Ricmotech's product page for the GTpro1's Its all explained rather well.

Throttle on the Ricmo's was also rather nice, Id venture to say 2X as stiff as the Fanatec on Default "Soft" setting. You could somewhat feel the extra resolution compared to the Fana's, but overall the Throttle pedal was my 2nd favorite pedal of the test. I kinda liked the little foot blocker on the right, to keep your foot from going over too far. I might build on for my Fana throttle pedal.

The mounting plate for the ricmo's is Long, So long i had to dismount some of my Fan tubes on the back of my pedal deck to allow the hydro cylinder's to stick off the back......2 carriage bolt holes are included to mount with, Screw's worked just fine for the temp testing. The Dual Master cylinder's made it difficult to access the Nuts to move the Brake and Clutch, Also the little Pads on the plate had long since peeled up off the plate making any Sliding adjustment a Nightmare. Also add in there was a Very small amount of Hydro fluid that you can see had VERY slowly built up over time and you could see some moisture on the plate from the Fluid. Something I Dont think many Wives would forgive if the carpet got a soaking in Hydro fluid if a hose were to pop or a major leak happen, lol.

Wiring on Both sets of pedals were somewhat cumbersome and clumsy, I can somewhat understand them having longer leads, but just came off as somewhat unprofessional in comparison to what else is out there, I fully understand the Ultimate's are meant to also be independently mounted on a plate, so having the extra length is somewhat nice, but the cable are darn near 3' long each and leave you looking for a place to mount the control box with some of the wire coiled up due to being so long.

Heusinkvelds next,

The mounting plate Neil sells is IMO Very narrow and resulted in not being able to really get a great feel for heel/toe shifting or general pedal placement for my liking, Essentially they needed to be individually placed on my pedal deck to get the feeling I was after for placement, but at that point i also felt the need for a Heel rest of sorts, these pedals are Very Tall imo and would feel much better with a proper build heel rest. The mounting plate also just overall didn't offer the adjust ability i would have hoped for.

Pedal face's felt slippery even with my race shoes, Would have liked some Grip tape, but Im pretty sure buddy races in Socks.....

Buddy brought them over with His setting's on them and with the Cam clutch nullified with a particular angle setup to eliminate the "cam like feeling". The Stiffness of the clutch was Sooo over the top heavy it actually made my seat motor's "tense up" when trying to apply full clutch. This wasn't a pleasurable feel and having to press sooo hard on the clutch felt very Very strange.

Throttle pedal was next and unfortunately was also Far FAR too stiff even on the softest setting on the spring. I would venture to say in the range of 4-5X stiffer than the Fanatec's which also lead to my seat motor's Tensing up again (slightly less than clutch) and i Could care less to have to press THAT hard to hold full throttle. I also want to say the Small hydraulic shocks on the Throttle and clutch were aiding in that Overly stiff feeling, also they gave the throttle a somewhat "gritty feeling" which was very strange to feel under my foot. It almost felt like there was A lot of Air/Oil build up in the Shocks as soon as you pump them a few times. (To R/C enthusiast when you shocks are a Hair down on oil and you can feel it at top dead, Squish Squish as you push it up to the bladder and pull it back down)

And last but not least (well least impressive for me**) the Brake, Again buddy had His setting's on them which had the initial Touch of the brake pedal to be Very soft and Only rely on a spring. I would gues to say when i measured them side by side with my Fana's The Ultimate's had 3-4x the amount of squish before the pedal loaded up on the bushing. This spring was Not stiff enough to remotely build any pressure on the bushing then load cell which made it Very difficult to actually find the Initial break bite point. Buddy kept telling me this is how a real brake should feel ect ect, but in the end i Very much disliked the feeling of this pre pressure build up spring feeling he had it set up to. **Buddy then goes on to tell me he forgot the extra bushings to help deal with this issue.

So unfortunately im still waiting on those bushing's to test a little further. Load cell pressure on the Ultimate's is also capable of 300lbs, but with my seat mover, there was only an allowable amount of pressure i could set at Full Lock before i would be Overly stressing my motor's. So in DXview (Super cool little app to check out/set up peripherals) I set the brake to be as heavy as i have my Fanatec setup. Unfortunately tho with the initial spring feel to bushing feel, it resulted in very sketchy linearity in the brake pedal when trying to apply a nice smooth amount of brakes. (Running an bit exaggerated brake Surge effect helps show off the brake pedal linearity)

So i guess in the end I wasn't really all that impressed with these "have to have" pedals as some put it. I would much rather see someone invest 1000-1200$ into a basic 2 or 3dof motion setup rather than spend it on a set of pedals that Sure they look cool and all, Might have the adjust ability to do what ever you want with them, but in the end I personally do Not see the value here AT all. DIY hydro can be done for a Fraction of the cost and you all know me, if i can build it, I sure as heck aint gonna buy it.

Moxley out.

Upvote 0
So After finding a Smoking deal on a pair of motor's another member on Xsimulator.net site is using, I decided to pick up a pair. (40$ + 30$ shipping) and I also picked them up while racing down south to save on Duty.... cha ching.

Got them home and popped them open to find a Gorgeous Spiral cut circle grooved Ti Nitride coated main gear off the motor shaft followed by Uber beefy Steel gears for the lever gears. Took a bit of work to get the Stock grease removed, But a few dozen paper towels, a toothbrush with some Iosol and some blasts with the compressor and she's all clean and ready for a re greasing. I'll make up a set of plates to close up the gear box and use the 4 outside holes for mounting to a plate of sorts.

Needed some Pot mounts on the new motor's.....Popped off the bearing seal to find a nice countersunk 1/8 hold asking to be drilled and tested for harness....Guess what, NOT hardened. Awesome so the drilling began after choosing a nice strait 1/4 bolt shank to work with.

Prepped for drilling

Drilled, tapped and mounted.

Plexi covers

Upvote 0
Finally with the SimuCube in house and all the parts trickling in I managed to get the case all buttoned up and just waiting on a few more small thing's to complete it all.

Motor cable wiring with ferrite shield.

PC also got a slight bump in Hp with a 2nd 980Ti

Cube, Ioni, PSU, Fan and Plexi.....the planning begins

Plastic stand offs from my RC parts Trees

Overall size of the box

Pretty happy with the quality of cut i can get on my Old school Band saw.

Upvote 0
With the OSW progressing, it was time to start to convert my Fanatec's over. Teensy LC to the rescue.

My plan, from USB to Flight 90, to Coiled USB, to RJ10, to DIY soldered Micro B and finally into the Teensy. Wheels will be "wireless" when removed, Ill look into the BlueTooth mod when its more reliable.

Cutting holes in expensive gear is never fun, but had to happen.

puuuurfect

Next up the BMW.

Upvote 0
So i decided to pick up a New toy the other week that i really had no clue i would have soo many uses for, Enter the 3d printer, A Prusa i3 Mk2. build volume of 250x210x200 mm or 9.82" x 8.26" x 7.87" and Capable to print down to .05mm in a Vast array of filaments.

98C04332-E1BF-48DB-AF21-D17E7CE1243F_zpshoe0rnym.jpg

After some misc calibration prints the little frog was up first, 3+ hours but Oh the detail, Was printed in .05mm resolution aka layer height

Before doing anything practical i had to do a few thing's i found of thingiverse for the heck of it, also to learn what i was doing with the printer setting's and see whats what, Well this being my first big print had a boo boo, well more like my Power decided to "glitch" out during a rather heavy rain storm we were having, this forced a reboot on the unit which unfortunately is a problem, lol so now i have a rather interesting Pencil holder.

I ended up using WAY too much infill on the first one and managed to cut the weight down by almost 1/3 with some Infill tweaking and Perimeter thickness settings on the 2nd one. The Pencil holder buddha can be stood on no problems.

Now on to some more practical stuff,

Paddles and a Project in the Works.

Upvote 0
Late update, what can i say, I got a little busy. :p

The CUBE is Officially alive and kicking and HOLY F ME SILLY.....Its exactly what all the guys said it to be, I now have a WHOLE new appreciation for FFB and RAW NM's of Torque....and here i thought the Motion motor's were Fast and Strong.....Lol

I went with the 20nm Mige and 600w PSU and Holy poop, the torque on the Numbed down setting of 10 on MCC was impressive enough, just last night i bumped up the MCC to 12 (can go as high as 16 something) and OH my lord, soo impressive its not even funny. Drifting is a WHOLE new ball game.....Old Non power steering cars, oh my oh my oh my.

So now for Bi monthly update :grin

last we left off with the Corvette wheel in parts and pieces, Well its 90% finished with a few cosmetic thing's to take care of.

enclosure wired with RJ10
6748A59D-8C3C-43B0-86BC-13BA47FBAB07_zps7fsxcejk.jpg

E84DAB7D-1C8F-4862-9300-D2D009E0AF55_zpselju0aw4.jpg

9E72EE5E-42B8-4312-8577-4530013178C5_zpsa9zf9p24.jpg

Wrapped grip

20161004_132125_zpso8wub0vk.jpg

Here's a Pair of Encoder knobs that I honestly dislike the feel of, On to the next style.

20161031_215127_zpsn0xmpvot.jpg

My 4th Display Up top of my Rig died the other day, so had to do some swip swapping of monitors between my upstairs machine and my shop, so got a upgrade of a 22" 1920x1080 to replace the Old girl 1200x800 22" that has done me proud for over 10+ years.

Needed some new speaker mounts for the Center channel which sits up on top of said 4th monitor. Old one had a little ridge it could clip into, New monitor did not, so needed these little guys. Oh how 3dprinting makes life easy sometimes. :grin

20161105_225928_zps3n3yzrgg.jpg

Fanatec Iphone4

photo_1478622751700_zpswjbqxsc5.jpg

Mige Iphone4 holder.

20161113_141232_zps1isxizsr.jpg

20161113_141301_zpsianaivyq.jpg

20161113_141526_zps8iu19rjy.jpg

Upvote 0
Needed a way to bolt it to my Mige base, What better than a printed bolt and Nut.

20161114_151714_zpsyxd1r2yf.jpg

Mounted up

20161114_152811_zpswee32dqp.jpg

Didn't like the Bolt for loosening and removing the holder so i made another bolt for easy gripping

photo_1479177245519_zpsve8jus7d.jpg

20161114_204433_zpsvkt9pqqv.jpg

ShoeGoo'd the Back nut in place, so a Simple 1/4 turn and the display pops off...nuts hold their place and slides back on like Nothin.

20161114_204441_zpsyfjm7gnt.jpg

More to come.........

Upvote 0
Working with Steve from SRE and OSR, we've embarked on a few New projects.

20161111_093744_zpsucoxdrtd.jpg

20161111_093725_zps7qkrgzs1.jpg

20161115_130929_zps2ckykrkn.jpg

20161107_101306_zpsrihggzib.jpg

20161107_101126_zps0x0kkown.jpg

20161107_101055_zps4hz9lyxd.jpg

So now some Avid 3dprinter guys might see the Inserts, so here's some of many styles of Inserts i have at my disposal for building now
larger M4x9.6mm with Large Blade threads has proven to work nice in PLA when melted in, while the Knurled ones have Soo much bite when properly melted into the TPU, They Physically cant be removed unless you Seriously want them so. Force alone isn't enough...Yes they bite THAT hard. Knurled ones are also the cheapest of all at around 5-8$ for a box of 100 in what ever length/size you need. I can provide links if need be. Just let me know.

M2.5x6x3.6 M3x5x4.2 M3x5x5.35 M4x8x6.3 Last is A Wood Furniture insert at M4x10
20161104_221513_zpstooj4cdo.jpg

A little Insert Testing i did

photo_1478476702058_zpspstm3ymb.jpg

Fanatec's has a Very Unique switch on their CSW lineup, The RKJXT1F These happen to be available From Aliexpress for a decent price, 4 for 16$...tho they need a mount, which as seen below came out pretty good.

20161107_224958_zpsjotj0rhm.jpg

Sparco Pedal face i did in .3 res for testing.....contemplating adding it to my Fanatec v2's......but they might not be around too much longer.....;)

photo_1478134856653_zps61kifeai.jpg

And that can wrap it up for now, Gotta save a little somethin somethin.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years